Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Mandy Thompson posted:

http://deadstate.org/man-commits-suicide-after-court-ordered-christian-drug-treatment-program-tried-to-un-gay-him/

I am a Christian and also a Lesbian but I know that lots of organizations that make a huge point of proclaiming their Christianity are not the kind that would tolerate me.
. That's unfortunate. Christ more than tolerates, but accepts us. We should refl ct this towards others. That isn't an acceptance of sin, but grace overcoming condemnation.

quote:

But beyond that, I often hear fear mongering from conservatives about Sharia law, isn't this basically the same thing? The Sharia law issue came up when Canada supposedly was allowing Muslim arbitration that used Sharia law in divorce cases and conservatives lost their loving minds.
yeah it's the same

quote:

I am very skeptical of binding arbitration clauses. They aren't fair. This man signed a contract because the alternative was jail and the person making the contract has all the power. Its not this image of two private citizens engaging in a mutually benficial agreement within a perfect liberal meritocracy, there are power disparities between people. There are material conditions that contracts occur within. And the arbitration are biased and also are incredibly expensive for the party that is suing. Add on to this what is likely to be a fundamentalist theology and you have a recipe for giving this program license to do whatever it wants.

Of course there is a power disparity, it's between a judge and a convicted criminal of course there's a power disparity how can there be any justice if the judges hold no authority over citizens? Of course it's not some idealized perfect contract it's a criminal facing jail time for his crime and being graciously offered an opportunity to pardon his sentence by opting into a treatment program that involves a spiritual component. I mean, it's not like any of this was forced he was facing the due consequences of his crime and took an optional way out that involved a commitment to a program. This sounds very similar to the path of the Christian, accepting grace in the face of the consequences for one's sin.

His death is a tragedy and a loss, and i understand people being resistant the state forcing anyone to participate in religious activities but faith based organizations do a lot of good work and service many people in need of various sorts of rehabilitation. Is it really some theocratic coup if a court partners with faith based rehabilitation programs to provide optional alternatives to jail time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

as a Marxist, isn't being employed a way of signing away your rights?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ayn rand hand job posted:

They did, and the court forced them to enter into arbitration because under Florida law, they could only bring the suit as the executors of his estate, and were bound into the contract he agreed to.

I wonder if his lawyer had any input in his signing that contract, if not i wonder how they successful defend those contracts because maybe admitting yourself into a drug treatment facility counts as evidence of not being in sound mind or something like that

• Locked thread