Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuckEverlasting
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot
Are you fucktards even actually talking about the loving case anymore?

From what it seems like he was in it voluntarily before the last time he was kicked out. Is that not correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuckEverlasting
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot

VitalSigns posted:

"Aligning your chakras" is just imaginary stuff that doesn't do anything. I'd say there's a difference between that and giving a patient proven medically harmful advice.

If the APA came out and said that reiki was psychologically harmful and linked to depression and suicide, no I don't think you should be allowed to sell it as a treatment of anything, and I don't think you should be able to recommend it while you're treating someone and then say "oh no that part where I told my patient to do something dangerous was just my beliefs lol ;)"

What is the proven medically harmful advice here? You don't even know the specifics of the case. The stuff revealed in that ruling seems to show he had a very big substance abuse issue. Since the United States really doesn't have the government rehab options that are needed for people. And since most private rehabs are usually quite expensive; I assume this program was either free or the only one affordable enough to be admitted to. I mean the person decided to go there instead of going to jail right?

CuckEverlasting
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot

VitalSigns posted:

The part where the people claiming to be treating someone for drug addiction went and told a gay person he needed to not be gay anymore?

Are you claiming that's not harmful, or are you claiming that it's okay to give people harmful advice if you keep your prices low, or what are you saying.

Do we know exactly how many times this happened or how common it was?

CuckEverlasting
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot

VitalSigns posted:

Oh okay so you do agree there is a power relationship here and the counselors at these places should be held to a higher standard of ethics and behavior than a bible study leader.

Okay good glad you agree?

Oh wait no you don't.

Again I don't think people should get to style themselves counselors, claim to be able to rehabilitate people, and take in people with psychological problems who are faced with jailtime if the counselor doesn't approve of their progress and then go "oops I'm not trained or even baseline competent in what I claim to be able to do, don't hold me to any standards of conduct!"

Why are you so against holding anyone to any sort of professional standards in any thread? Maybe people who are assholes to patients with psychiatric problems shouldn't, uh, be licensed to counsel anyone? And maybe the state shouldn't let unlicensed therapists practice at all? Or at least not allow them to require their patients to waive their right to the court system and agree to let some sharia law kangaroo court handle claims of abuse? I am not comfortable with people who want to be able to take over the state's job of rehabilitation being able to demand that their patients agree that they not be subject to the court's oversight and instead their fellow fundy friends get to hold them to even lower standards than the already-abysmal standard of our criminal justice system.

I think the only alternative then for this individual was jail then.

I mean clearly no one else would take him in. And he was begging to go to stay out of prison.

• Locked thread