Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yep. conservatives are not worried about religious law. they are worried about other religions religious law.

Indeed. Religious law isn't the problem that these loons have with sharia; rather, the problem is that it's from the wrong religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Being able to possibly select the arbitrator does nothing to change the really damaging effect of these clauses, which is that they essentially remove the consumer's right to participate in a class-action lawsuit. This allows companies to get away with a lot of bullshit, because no one's going to go to arbitration over $50, but if they take $50 of of 100,000 customers (for example), they've made an extra $5mil.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

NathanScottPhillips posted:

In regards to the situation outlined in the OP; private arbitration bound by religious books is just a small hosed up part of the bigger problem. Why the gently caress are courts ordering people to enter religious rehab programs?

Haven't they been doing this for ages with AA, though? Granted, that isn't as explicitly religious, but it's still religious enough that the government shouldn't be able to compel people to attend.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

justsharkbait posted:

Something I have noticed, though, is that the majority of people never have to deal with the legal system and thus don't know how it works or that stuff like this happens.

Still yet, even fewer people realize that camps that try to "pray the gay away" or use other such types of indoctrination actually exist.

I was raised very very strict fundamental independent Baptist and as soon as I was old enough to make the choice I stopped going to church.

When I tell people that kids get sent to camps to become un-gay, or even when I tell people what is considered "sin" they don't believe that those camps exist or that people control you that much.

I went to a college for a year, to make my parents happy, that banned movies, music that wasn't approved (i.e. all music basically), headphones (so you could not listen to unapproved music), and used to make girls walk on different sidwalks then the guys to "avoid unchaperoned contact".

But freedom of religion right?

I think these folks would really, really like Iran if they just gave it a chance! Except only the government, not the people, because most of the citizens are way cooler about everything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CuckEverlasting posted:

Are you fucktards even actually talking about the loving case anymore?

From what it seems like he was in it voluntarily before the last time he was kicked out. Is that not correct?

That's my understanding. There's still an argument to be had that no one should be able to offer a harmful treatment, even if it's something the patient genuinely thinks they want.

• Locked thread