Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You get your phone in army basic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For like an hour or two for this day to buy HBL tickets. That's the only time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LingcodKilla posted:

You get your phone in army basic?

poo poo, we had 4 of them floating around the barracks. Lost one in the wall though. Spent a good week trying to find ways to get it out like we were in the loving Sandlot.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Benning still has you sleeping in foxholes for the FTX, but it was still dumb and easy. Or at least it did 2 years ago.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Basic is legit the funnest part of the Army, you better savor it before you get married at Ft Sam Houston to an ugly rear end trailer trash medic who will give you an STD. At least you'll easily be able to identify syphillis when you start working sick call.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Basic was the longest 10 weeks of my life. All Army poo poo all day for 10 weeks and tons of standing around, especially during the marksmanship weeks. So loving boring. I did it in winter and privates would smoke themselves just to stay warm.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Navy basic made me fat because it's made for teens and not old men.

Eat at a buffet then no exercise for you! Seriously we ran like 4 times. Shivering while marching in the cold was the most strenuous exercise I did.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 3, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Mustang posted:

Basic was the longest 10 weeks of my life. All Army poo poo all day for 10 weeks and tons of standing around, especially during the marksmanship weeks. So loving boring. I did it in winter and privates would smoke themselves just to stay warm.

Yes. Like I said it's the funnest part of the Army.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Basic was dumb, AIT was dumb, "real army" is dumb.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Aranan posted:

Basic was dumb, AIT was dumb, "real army" is dumb, 'guard/reserve army is dumb.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Question: im a Reservist relocating to the JBLM area. Switched units AFSCs and am awaiting tech school orders. Problem is: I dont have a place lined up to live. Im considering doing the extended stay until i can lock down an apartment (though the prices are insane at 76 a day average) . My question is: does JBLM offer some sort of temporary housing for those who arent on AD orders?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

See if the base has cabins/bungalows. It's the off season and you may be able to get a cottage for cheaper than an actual extended stay.
This worked for me at Dam Neck at least.

Is Airbnb an option?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You don't have to be on AD orders to use billeting, in my experience. Unless there's some weird rules at joint bases. I stayed on-base in the IRR while on a road trip.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So is Washington like the GIP Mecca or something? Seems like there's a ton of us out here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I guess. Seemed like a nice place to live. I like green stuff and water.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I guess. Seemed like a nice place to live. I like green stuff and water.

2-3 more years and I get to pursue this.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Appreciate the info on AirBnB.. Would've never thought of it. The place ill be staying at for a month is cheaper than the rent i pay in Kentucky.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Your welcome. I've been using it on my weekend excursions all up and down from NYC to Richmond.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Your welcome. I've been using it on my weekend excursions all up and down from NYC to Richmond.

Yeah I use AirBnB to get cheap apartments all over Asia and Oceania whenever we pull into port somewhere. I am sure it pisses people off the same way Uber pissed off cabbies but it's cheap and I don't really care.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 19, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

$35 room in Staten Island and I didn't get bed bugs? Sold. Had to take the ferry and a ten minute bus ride but my food budget for the day was like twice that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

What's my best option if I want to get some online college courses done?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ElMaligno posted:

What's my best option if I want to get some online college courses done?

AMU, the choice of E8s/9s everywhere

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Start with where you want to actually use those credits, then find a program they'll accept transfers from.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Godholio posted:

Start with where you want to actually use those credits, then find a program they'll accept transfers from.
I already have a BA in chemistry, so I really don't know if I am able to go for a second BA, a Masters or what I should go for.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Since you have a BA already not sure if the course credits offered for CLEPs and DANTES exams will help you but they're pretty easy to study for. I suck at math and got 6 math credits after studying for only 2 weeks. Lots of good free study guides online, I used http://www.free-clep-prep.com/

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ElMaligno posted:

I already have a BA in chemistry, so I really don't know if I am able to go for a second BA, a Masters or what I should go for.

Were I you, I'd start going to grad-level classes through whatever local university you can apply to. In the Bay area, I'm sure you can find some nice options for yourself.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
Currently in the Navy, entered bootcamp in March with IT as my rate. Passed IT A school, but here is my problem: My security clearance.

I was interviewed by someone working for the FBI in boot camp, and that's pretty much it. None of my family or listed friends have been interviewed. So I'm currently at a shore command with no clearance and not being able to really be qualified to handle some of the equipment we have. After talking to a YN1 in the shop I work at, they found out on JPAS my security clearance investigation said it was discontinued. I have student loans that I am paying off ( will pay it off by December of this year) and I have foreign relatives in NZ and AU that I don't really keep in contact. Now this is concerning to me because my big fear right now is being re-rated. I do not want to go undes or have to do A school as a different rate. I've talked to my command about this and they aren't the biggest help as they don't know any information as well. Since I have zero idea of what is to come, wondering if anyone has been through this experience and what the outcome has been.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Your command should have someone with the knowledge. In the AF each major echelon has a security office...this kind of issue would probably be handled by the squadron or group security shop. I suspect my squadron's shop wouldn't have had a clue, but the group shop had a couple of civilians who'd been there for a decade or more - no doubt they'd know where to look.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Your CO can authorize you an interim secret clearance while your investigation is conducted. Talk to your security manager and get a new SF-86 to fill out. I just redid mine a couple of months ago on ship and all the E-6 did was screen it and send it off to our higher in San Diego.

I don't know anything about TS since there is no way I'd ever qualify for one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't imagine any commander granting an interim clearance with that JPAS status. But yeah, it's weird it wasn't granted after he arrived if it's required for duties.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Interim requires an open investigation. Discontinued probably means they screwed up somewhere and simply stopped the investigation without telling anyone - I've seen that happen before, it's annoying as hell. If you'd actually been denied clearance for cause, there would have been a fairly significant volume of paperwork that your command would have been legally obligated to have you see, review, and acknowledge receipt of in writing. Find your command security manager and talk to them. At a shore command, this may be a civilian.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My application to a distance learning master's program (AFIT) got rejected, and the admissions department said I should reapply after taking 1 Math and 2 Quantitative Engineering courses. I'm trying not to get too bummed about this, but I have no idea how to actually take for-credit online courses from a real school. My travel and work schedules here won't reasonably allow me to take a semester in person at a local school. Can anyone help me get a start?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 23, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Find a school that offers what you're looking for and ask their admissions department. They'll have the dates of application and the rest of the details that vary from school to school.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You might be able to enroll as a special student too, which is a lot easier than applying as a degree seeking student.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Army guy in my office is signing a DEC statemen to avoid becoming a recruiter. He's got 25 months left on his contract, which will probably put him right at about two years left when they finish processing the DEC. He's an E-6, married, no kids.

He's got a few questions.

A: He knows they can PCS him wherever, but would they send him to Korea? He's under the assumption that you're not supposed to ETS from Korea.

B: How fast would he come down on orders in this situation, given that he'll have two years left?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A guy in my platoon came down on orders and he only has like 17 months left. The Army is only going to get a year out of him at his new duty station before he comes back up here where he owns a house.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

A guy in my platoon came down on orders and he only has like 17 months left. The Army is only going to get a year out of him at his new duty station before he comes back up here where he owns a house.

If he's smart he'll spend most of that time at ACAP

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
Long shot but I'll be ETSing soon and going to school. Problem is my program starts 40 days before my ETS leave starts (schools that say they start in the fall actually start in mid-summer, who knew). Is there anything I can do to bridge those remaining days? Any program through branch or something like admin leave or no-cost TDY?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Afaik there is a program to receive an early discharge to start school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DoktorLoken posted:

Afaik there is a program to receive an early discharge to start school?

there is, I had one approved way back in the day, took a school acceptance letter, and a 4856 signed by the first O6 in my chain. They called it a 90 day school drop, don't know the official name, I think it's in AR 635-200 if I had to guess. If you're not army then sorry but it's what I got.