Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Can you still jump into 18X contracts as a civilian? That might be a bit closer to what you're looking for. Or is citizenship a requirement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Typical Gnu posted:

My understanding has become that, while I can leave any time I want once I get to MEPS, there's no guarantee that a recruiter will get me another MEPS date after I leave. Regardless, it seems like what I was talking about was called EWQ, and it was discontinued a few years ago. The jobs I have on my """""""Dream sheet""""""" are all appealing to me, meaning that either I'd enjoy them, or whoever was tasked with marketing them did their jobs properly. I'm looking at Intelligence Application, Imagery, Signals Intelligence, Electronic Intelligence, Electronic Systems Security, Cyber Security, Cyber Systems Operation, Spectrum Operations, and 9S100, which sounds like it's become my new #1 choice.
I bring it up just in case there's some red flag job in there that I should stay the gently caress away from.

There's a military sponsor thread with people from some of those career fields that might be able to weigh in on those career fields. I'm a 9S; if you have questions, I can answer some.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Typical Gnu posted:

I've only seen people saying great things about 9S, so my first question is: Where do they bury the people that don't like the job?
My second and third questions are: How much control would I have over my assignment starting out, and how often do assignments change? It sounds as though 9S is like playing potpourri scientist and, since there are so few people in 9S, you can at least request to work in a particular field.

We have a couple jobs that people consider undesirable, but the beauty of this job is that every time you move to a new base, you're likely doing an entirely different job. By "entirely different job", I mean completely different. You can move from doing computer stuff, aircraft, R&D, special equipment maintenance, traveling the world, satellites, etc. That alone is what sold me on this career field. If you get bored, just do a good job whatever you're currently doing and start shopping around for different jobs. Your reputation carries a lot here, so what you do can make a difference for assignments. Typically you can change jobs roughly every three or so years, but some have been more and some have been less. I've seen people do the same job for several years, but that's mostly because they really love the job. One thing to consider is that this career field doesn't really deploy, so if you're looking to kill some baddies, don't look at 9S. Here is a link for a semi-active 9S100 AMA forum.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
A friend of mine is a former Navy officer, but resigned his commission after he separated. Do any of you know of a way he can get it back without having to rejoin the Navy? I assume it'd be something like sending a letter to them. I mostly just want to see him in dress whites so he can reenlist me next year.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Just to give an opinion opposite of what everybody else is, staying in isn't so bad. I work roughly 745 to 3 every day with an hour or two lunch whenever I feel like. I supervise one person and he's really chill with no drama. I'm paid $70k a year as an E6 and about 1/3rd of that isn't even taxable. I pay very little for medical care for my family of five (I know it's not the best but we get what we need when we ask for it). I'm almost guaranteed a promotion as long as I'm not complete fuckup and an annual pay raise for basically breathing. Every year I'm expected to pass a PT test, write the occasional package for my subordinate if he's deserving, show up to boring rear end meetings and conferences, and dumbass CBTs, formations, etc. But overall, it really isn't that bad. It's a lot of inconvenience of my time and the occasional effort, but that's about it.

Obviously this is all specific to my situation and doesn't reflect the bullshit you may have to go through. I think that I've made the American Dream by getting paid a lot to do very little with low expectations. I don't have a degree and my experience doesn't translate to much other than being a fat, bearded contractor doing the same thing praying that my pay doesn't fluctuate or my job gets cut every time the contract renewal comes up.

Just something to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Just food for thought: my wife has been going through the Air Force commissioning process for almost two years now and has not been selected a second time because the Air Force chose primarily STEM degrees or those applying for Rated slots. If you don't have a STEM degree or you're not applying for a Rated position, fat chance of getting picked up. And even if she did get selected, her recruiter told her that she wouldn't even be going to OTS until the end of 2019 or spring 2020.

I'm not saying enlist with a degree, but it may be something to consider. My wife could have completed a full four year enlistment in the timeframe it took to start the commissioning process and graduating OTS.