Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
So I've just reached out to my local state university's military/veteran's office and AFROTC detachment with some questions about joining AFROTC/going back to school after a bit of a hiatus.

My main question is that I'm currently an Army Reservist, and I'd ideally like to keep serving with my unit, while doing AFROTC at the same time. How hard is it to do something like that when you're talking about different branches? I would technically be eligible for IRR a good 4 months before I would need to commission as an Air Force officer due to age limit. Is that sort of thing possible, or do I have to get out of my Army contract and into a new AF one?

I guess another general question would be, what kind of benefits would I expect to get out of serving Active Duty officer for 4 years that I can't already get doing 6/2 on the Army Reserve side? I've thought of a few but I might be wrong: better GI Bill, better VA Home Loan benefits, make more money, be more financially stable post-military career/more ready to get a head start in a good civilian career.

The degree I'd like to get is in Emergency Management, so there could be a lot of good government jobs in my future, or maybe even non-profits like the Red Cross.

Any perspectives from you lot would be appreciated. I enjoy lurking this forum but don't usually have a lot to say because I'm a just shitbird POG reservist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU