Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Anyone better at insurance than I am?

I left an active duty mobilization in January, was covered by Tricare Select TAMP until the end of July.
I got some x-rays done (referral by primary care physician) in early July.
I just got a bill ("past due" even though I hadn't gotten a first one) for part of the cost.
I called Tricare last week and they said everything should have been 100% covered, but the computer system was down so call back.
I called this week and a different rep said that all Select beneficiaries have deductibles so it wasn't covered.

This is what the Tricare web site gives for costs. Am I being stupid when I think that "Active duty service members pay nothing out-of-pocket for any type of care" means that I personally have no deductible, only my dependents do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ElMaligno posted:

i am gonna use my tuition assistance and gi bill to get a teaching certificate and a Masters in teaching and education. gonna become a teacher after i retire, then tell my students to not join the military

I am a teacher. Teaching degrees are the worst. Get a degree in what you want to teach and find out what alternate certificate methods your state offers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ElMaligno posted:

I wish, Oregon is OK, i cant afford california and i still have 10 more years of i wanna retire.

I already have a Bachelor of science degree in chemistry. Since i wanna use TA for my masters, gently caress if i know what online only masters i could get with that.

I don't know what Oregon requirements are for certification, but I bet they have cert only programs for people who already have degrees. A master's degree in education is only not a waste if it's in administration and you plan to be a principal. A graduate degree in science is going to look a lot better, especially in the better schools.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jeremor posted:

Thanks for the replies yall. One question I still can't find the answer to, though I'm sure its very simple, is what are the key differences between reserves and guard? Is it really as simple as reserves don't do any state level jobs?

I understand the posse comitatus act, but are the benefits different? Is there a reason to go one way versus another?

Guard is almost all combat MOS, Reserve is almost all support MOS.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Scientist posted:

I'm interested in infantry in particular.

So you're getting a Master's degree in computer science and you feel your life would be more fulfilling if you switched to a job whose skills are best summed up as:
- walking while carrying heavy things
- supervising 18 year olds while they walk while carrying heavy things
- occasionally shooting something

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Years ago I was on a DDG as a CSFTP observer/trainer and I met an ensign who was an actual Rhodes scholar. All I could think was "and now you're a SWO, and the AUXO. Poor decisions were made by all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SRQ posted:

Hello, goons.

I applied in march (lol) for an officer position with the CAF, and successfully sidestepped several people screaming at me this was a poor idea. The application is getting close (???) to the end now. You can make what you will of the 9 month process (so far) but it's beside the point.

I've been kind of a sheltered baby my whole life, and while I'm super committed to this and think it's a good step to make me a better person, and a career I've considered even before I started my degree, I'm also an idiot. So I'm coming to ask goons like... what should a sheltered baby man know, learn, practice or adjust to so he doesn't end up being the weakest and dumbest link.

Also my parents offered to buy me Really Nice Boots for it and I'm asking for recommendations.

Thanks goons. God Save the King.

[I will have to swear an oath to him I might as well get ahead of it.]

Skip the Really Nice Boots. Nothing like shiny new fancy poo poo to stand out as a sheltered baby.
Use the same issued crap that everyone else gets until you have been around long enough to justify your existence and figure out the culture and norms of the people you work with.