Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

What is the website where you switch your GI bill?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Volkerball posted:

do you even know why you would want to do it? marsoc was kind of a running joke in ranger bat, but it's probably a better quality of life than being regular marine infantry. i'd guess the graduation rate is below 50% in selection for force recon or anything like that, so it's something you're gonna have to be all in on just to have a chance.

My cousin went through a while back. He said other than not getting injured just refuse to let your body quit is the biggest part nothing they ask you to do is impossible you just think it is due to lack of sleep/calorie deficiency from not eating enough or just being stupid. Not paying attention to the poo poo going on around you will gently caress you just as hard as an injury. That and not being physically prepared. Get in great shape ahead of time. But what the gently caress do I know I'm a grumpy Coast Guard powerlifter. The most demanding thing I have to do for my job is run a mile and a half twice a year.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Any questions about stations medium endurance cutters and patrol boats let me know. Also any MK or engineering questions.

Search and rescue is a weird thing. Theres the oh gently caress someone is actively taking on a lot of water or has someone on board that is pretty hosed up wich goes under urgent SAR. And then there is the guys who hit something decent medical issue or plain ran out of gas. Each of which is handled completely differently based on where your at as well as the time of year.

Urgent SAR generally gets a bird in the air and people pulled off the boat unless there is a floating asset nearby or within a reasonable response time. Often time both assets are tasked.

Honestly the larger the boat the less of a gently caress is given about SAR cause that's someone elses job be it the help crew that's attached for personal injuries and rescue to the patrol boats for a bunch of the other poo poo.

The big boys generally do boardings and law enforcement. The longest I was ever out was nine months with resupplies flown into Adak due to a bunch of other boats breaking down. Let me tell ya 9 months on a 213 ft boat is a long time. Fortunately with most of those hulls gone the likelihood of that happening is pretty small.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 10, 2019

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

The military is very serious and proactive about normalizing, de stigmatizing, and treating mental health issues. Unless you actually try to address mental health. Then gently caress you, crazy boy.

DoD at least pretends, the CG will gently caress you sideways and show you the door if they can from the get go. Don't know a single person that's worked lots of SAR with no issues. It's a known issue that everyone pretends to go along with.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Computer touching mil goons. I'm looking into retirement and my broken body can not take much more. What are some good resources to get started that do not require full time dedication?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

zharmad posted:

This. Seriously, security+ and a clearance and you will have 3 job offers anywhere there's a reasonable sized base or post within 2 weeks. Hell, PM me and tell me where you want to work and I can probably get you set up with an interview in short order with my company.

I'll get back to you once I figure it out.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Godholio posted:

And if you're lucky can read they'll actually be on the paper.

Fixed it

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Mustang posted:

Yeah I've been pretty lucky in dealing with the VA so far for sure. Hope they'll get your stuff worked out before too long, it's insane how slow they are at processing stuff.

Houses here in the A-bay area are selling 10-50k above asking in the regular and they lowered BAH.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

If your in and you loving hate it and you want to go somewhere else where they treat you less like a child the Coast Guard has expanded the enlistment age to 42.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

What about officers? My dumb rear end is about to have two bachelor's degrees. I'd rather commission in my old age than enlist.

Depends on the degree right now. poo poo everything is waiverable currently it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Enlisted time only counts to your total active military service time, not commissioned time.

I’ve known some old rear end officers in my time. Very few prior E’s with any significant E time make O-6 anyway. Not because they’re looked down on or anything, it’s just a time thing.

Then you have fuckers like Coast Guard legend Jack Jackson who picked up e8 to warrant to lt and is walking around with a bird drinking beers and helping people swap transmissions in the base parking lot.