Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Some pilots were texting each other Miley Cyrus lyrics. Someone narced them out because of drug references in the lyrics. Despite everyone passing drug tests, they all had their aeronautical orders cancelled which takes them off flying status and effectively ends their careers. During the investigation, a number of fellow officers wrote memoranda as character testimony. THOSE officers had their AOs nixed. Then the CSAF came out and effectively said that everything you communicate via any means to any party is subject to punishment. It's shockingly hosed up how he worded it.

No no no, it's even better than that.

They weren't narced out because of the drug references, the text messages were found by OSI as part of an unrelated investigation in to a (substantiated) issue with a completely separate instructor (not one of the three in question who got hosed) banging a student. The individuals who were "investigated" as part of the frat issue were completely cleared of anything to do with any of that, the only thing that anyone has against them is that they texted Miley Cyrus lyrics, for which the WG/CC wrote them paperwork/yanked their flight orders and ended their career. In today's AF you can literally have you career ended for texting Miley Cyrus lyrics as part of some stupid bad pilot-bro joke.

Oh, and the best part? One of the individuals in question requested to consult with legal counsel after OSI told him they needed to look at his phone while questioning him, and OSI told him, verbatim, that he wasn't getting to talk to any lawyers until after he granted them access to his phone. Because Article 31 rights are solely contingent on cooperation with law enforcement, oh wait.

No one from OSI or anywhere else in the chain has been held accountable for that naked breach of Constitutional rights, by the way, not that you should be surprised by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LingcodKilla posted:

What a waste of tax payers dollars losing pilots like that. Maybe some senator or congressmen might "care".
Hell, contact Miley Cyrus, lol.

Duncan Hunter's office (as well as Adam Kinzinger's) has been all over the AF about this, they've gone as far as to have a two on one meeting with Welsh.

My favorite is that Hunter's office sent CSAF a letter containing a screenshot of a couple of O-5s in leadership positions at a base joking about dropping acid on a public facebook page ("man you're so crazy you must be on something/yeah some of that good acid/heh heh/ell oh ell" type conversation). The letter asked when the investigation against those individuals would be starting since clearly using the post Miley-Gate "Everything is reportable, we're all professional all the time, the 1-1 says so" standard those individuals were engaging in drug use.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

nullscan posted:

Well, a year or two back they went on this massive smuthunt to remove all sexual stuff from the Air Force and it's offices, including Playboy and Hustlers (Really? Where were these?), Sexy calendars, even stuff like Men's Health, Sports Illustrated, ETC were snatched up by the Morality Brigades.

Supposedly some nose art (The sexy 50's ladies on planes) got painted over but I'm not sure if that was legit or not. But It is pretty telling that pretty much anyone still in the AF would just assume they'd go around destroying one of the cool parts of our legacy just for PC.

I'm still amazed the amazing wall art of Dick Bong shooting down a Japanese Zero is still up in the Hickam CAOC hallway. We had multiple joint exercises with the JASDF there and the loooooks that mural would get were great.

There were some instances of reproductions of nose art (lithos and such) being painted over, taken down, or otherwise removed in a whole bunch of units. I've heard that allegedly (can't confirm) some PC police went to the USAF Museum at Wright-Pat to try and get them to remove some of the more explicit nose art that was on display, but as soon as the curator got wind of that he shot them the double bird and said no one was painting over anything, at which point the requests went away.

Also walking the JASDF by paintings of USAAF Warhawks and RCAF Kittyhawks shooting down Zeros in the ALCOM building was one of the highlights of my time at RF-A

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Best bet is to make in-roads with the Guard units that you are interesting in joining and get in touch with one of their recruiters to figure out what the process is for you to join/what the medical standards are/what's waiverable/etc. Going from IRR back to active service (whether part time or full time in the Guard) may not require a full trip to MEPS, I honestly don't know.

Joining the Guard is often sort of like rushing a frat, for much of the same reasons. They want to make sure you're a "good dude" before they'll buy off on letting you into the unit, since unlike AD if you're an rear end in a top hat you don't move on in the next 2-4 years, they're stuck with you until you quit, die, or retire. From first-hand experience I can say this is true for the Nevada ANG, can't definitively say for the ARNG but I'd assume it's the case. So if you're seriously interested in the Guard I'd recommend start making some inquiries now with the unit(s) you're interested in to hopefully have something lined up by the time you're ready to join/move.

What Nevada Guard unit(s) were you looking at? I didn't know they had an aviation + medical unit...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

25 lighters posted:

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't know if there are any actual units that do air ambulance/sar type of stuff in nevada, that's is just what I am specifically looking for and will definitely make calls around to find out. Im aware that there's an Air National Gaurd too and maybe that is more up my alley?

Depends. NV ANG has two units as far as I know....152d Airlift wing is up in Reno, pretty standard AF unit that flies C-130s, so they have C-130 specific jobs (pilot, nav, flight eng, loadmaster) as well as the standard AF support jobs (mx, logistics, cops, CE, medical, personnel, etc). There's also the 232 Operations Squadron at Creech, they are primarily ops (pilot and sensor operator) and mx (RPA mx), with a smattering of other jobs (intel mostly), all augmenting active duty at Creech. I'm intimately familiar with the Creech/232 OS bubbas so if you want to get a job in Vegas with the NV ANG let me know. Outside of those two that's it as far as I know for NV ANG jobs. Army Guard I can't really speak to, but I don't think they have much of a helo presence.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

25 lighters posted:

I'll keep it in mind but none of that fits what I'm looking for tbh. Thanks though. I think it's possible to live in a different state your NG unit is located, that might be what I'm looking for.

Definitely, more than a few NV ANG guardsmen that I know in the Vegas area technically live in CA for various reasons. I'd recommend finding a unit that has what you're looking for and then figuring out where you can live in/around that area. Same goes even more so for the Reserves. There's a couple different sites you can look at for Guard/Reserve jobs, let me know if you need some links.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Lazy Reservist posted:

If you're really interested in targeting, Air Force is where you want to be. The 1N1 career field is the imagery analysts, and they're broken down into two shreds. One is the imagery analysts. These are the guys who look at overhead imagery and say "There are X number of X type of planes sitting on this tarmac. Oh, by the way, these ones were recently refueled or had armaments placed on them." The other shred is targeteers. These guys look at imagery, but instead of saying what it is, they tell pilots how best to blow it up.

Truth in advertising, a sizable portion of USAF intel (particularly imagery anything) is currently tied up in DCGS's doing something along the lines of "yeah that guy looks bad, let's watch him for a while......okay now he's on a motorbike...........now he's walking........now he's in a house........now he went to sleep.....now he just took a dump........now he's loving a goat.........now he's walking again..............now he's back on a motorbike...............*5 days later*....alright he's doin' some bad poo poo, let's go kinetic........*60 minutes later the strike's lined up and the JTAC clears the MQ-9 hot* *boom*"

"Hey that guy running away looks bad, let's watch him for a while..."

OP don't think I'm discouraging you from doing intel because there's a helluva lot worse jobs to do in the AF as well as the military as a whole. Just didn't want you thinking that the entirety of the career field is looking at air fields and tanks and warships and cool poo poo like that and thinking of ways to blow them up. It's just that a lot of what we're doing today as a military is less focused on high-end conflict and more focused on stuff like Iraq (Part II or Part III) and Afghanistan. That's not to say that there aren't other things out there or that you're guaranteed to do nothing but sit in a windowless room in front of a bunch of computer monitors slamming Monsters and watching Afghans take dumps...but it's also not to say that you won't be doing exactly that if you enter as an imagery anything intel AFSC.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Typical Gnu posted:

largely because the Marine office at the local recruitment center is run by good people who are dead set on making people ready for the military, while the Air Force office has a phone number on the window that you call to get the recruiter to show up.

There's a lesson here about which service you should join, hope you can figure it out since you're trying to go intel!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

You're going to be a 28 year old working for 19 year olds. And getting punished along with the group because 19 year olds will be acting like 19 year olds. Think very hard about that.

I had a thought today after interacting with a couple of SSgts that went something along the lines of "hm these people are pretty technically competent but they still don't really see the big picture, that's okay though they're young NCOs so they're just 25-26, it's understandable"

I can't for the life of me imagine enlisting at my age (even in the AF) and initially working for a bunch of 19-21 year olds as the lowest dude on the totem pole

Vocation/trade school is the way to go, it's insane how much in demand plumbers/HVAC/electrician types are these days

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
They're two totally separate buckets. Your IRA is exactly that, an Individual Retirement Account. There's a yearly max on that because anyone can set one up for any reason with any type of investment security (stocks, mutual funds, bonds, even real estate, etc), so it would provide huge opportunities for tax chicanery if there wasn't an annual cap on contributions.

The TSP is an employer run defined contributions plan (basically a 401(k) for the government). There's no limit on Roth contributions to these plans, go hog wild.

The contribution limits for IRA do apply against both Roth and Traditional (so you can't contribute $5,500 to a Roth IRA and then contribute another $5K to a Traditional)...but unless you're in a highly unique tax situation there's really no reason to have a Traditional IRA in addition to a Roth. In any case when comparing Roth IRA to a Roth TSP there's no problems or limitations because they're two completely separate types of accounts, they just share the "Roth" label due to their tax advantaged structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
hey waroduce my wife, who is a prior E officer (enlisted at 20, commissioned at 32) said your gf would be crazy to enlist at 27. For my wife even just being a couple years ahead of her peers (airman at 20 vs 18, NCO at 25 vs 23, etc) drove her crazy. I've said it before but I can't imagine anyone who enlists on AD above about age 25, and that's being generous. Just as one example....in your average four year enlistment, you will be lucky if you get to leave the dorms by your fourth year. At a lot of bases you will do an entire four year enlistment in the dorms. You are literally required, by law, to live on a military installation, in government controlled housing, subject to being roused at 2 in the morning on a Friday night/Saturday morning to go sit in a theater for 6 hrs while everyone goes and pisses in a cup and your bosses go and ransack the space you live in. I am not exaggerating in the slightest, this is literally a thing that happens to dorm rats at least once every couple months on most US Air Force installations. This is because the majority of your "peers" are gently caress-tard 18 year olds. You are 27, but to everyone in a position of authority you are no different than the idiot 18 year olds.

Real talk if she just wants to get the GI Bill bennies best bet is to keep rolling the dice for a USAF OTS slot, do her four with whatever bullshit non-rated/support officer AFSC she winds up with, and get out and get those Uncle Sam fun bux courtesy of the post-9/11. I say that as someone with one of the most bullshit support officer jobs out there (mx officer).....anyone can do this (lovely) job for four years, life even as the lowest of the low on the officer side is still infinitely better than being enlisted.

That said if she's open to alternatives the direct commission law school/JAG option isn't bad if she's interested in law school. Also the ANG/Reserves are a decent way to get GI bill benefits without having to put up with the bullshit of AD, so if she can somehow luck into an AGR ANG/Reserve enlisted job might be something worth considering depending on the AFSC/what she's interested in. Although you probably have a higher chance of getting in to AF OTS than you do of getting an AGR gig with no prior experience (especially since they've been opening the floodgates of OTS lately, even for non-priors)