Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010
I've been out of active duty for over a year in which during that time I have been finishing up my AS. The plan has been to move out to nevada from california once my school is done for work/cost of living/family. Either way my plan has been to join national guard, specifically a nevada guard unit that specializes in aviation + medical, or air national guard doing the same thing, I really don't know the differences. If I could find a reserve unit that did the same type of thing then I would keep that option in mind too.

Now the VA wants to do surgery(heart ablation for PVCs) on my heart for a condition the army found while I was active, but nothing ever happened while I was in because they ruled it out as not being that bad. But since being out, the VA has been pretty anal about my heart and now want to do a surgery. I'm already getting a second opinion on it from a non VA doc.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it to much, but I know heart conditions are dis-qualifiers at meps, added in with the surgery. But me being IRR, honorably discharged, nothing bad on my record, still in physically good shape(if not better since I've been out lol)and still eligible to reenlist, would getting this surgery be detrimental to joining the guard?

25 lighters fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Best bet is to make in-roads with the Guard units that you are interesting in joining and get in touch with one of their recruiters to figure out what the process is for you to join/what the medical standards are/what's waiverable/etc. Going from IRR back to active service (whether part time or full time in the Guard) may not require a full trip to MEPS, I honestly don't know.

Joining the Guard is often sort of like rushing a frat, for much of the same reasons. They want to make sure you're a "good dude" before they'll buy off on letting you into the unit, since unlike AD if you're an rear end in a top hat you don't move on in the next 2-4 years, they're stuck with you until you quit, die, or retire. From first-hand experience I can say this is true for the Nevada ANG, can't definitively say for the ARNG but I'd assume it's the case. So if you're seriously interested in the Guard I'd recommend start making some inquiries now with the unit(s) you're interested in to hopefully have something lined up by the time you're ready to join/move.

What Nevada Guard unit(s) were you looking at? I didn't know they had an aviation + medical unit...

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't know if there are any actual units that do air ambulance/sar type of stuff in nevada, that's is just what I am specifically looking for and will definitely make calls around to find out. Im aware that there's an Air National Gaurd too and maybe that is more up my alley?

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Depends. NV ANG has two units as far as I know....152d Airlift wing is up in Reno, pretty standard AF unit that flies C-130s, so they have C-130 specific jobs (pilot, nav, flight eng, loadmaster) as well as the standard AF support jobs (mx, logistics, cops, CE, medical, personnel, etc). There's also the 232 Operations Squadron at Creech, they are primarily ops (pilot and sensor operator) and mx (RPA mx), with a smattering of other jobs (intel mostly), all augmenting active duty at Creech. I'm intimately familiar with the Creech/232 OS bubbas so if you want to get a job in Vegas with the NV ANG let me know. Outside of those two that's it as far as I know for NV ANG jobs. Army Guard I can't really speak to, but I don't think they have much of a helo presence.

I'll keep it in mind but none of that fits what I'm looking for tbh. Thanks though. I think it's possible to live in a different state your NG unit is located, that might be what I'm looking for.