Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
years ago this thread helped me not run away from my responsibility and go to college. I'm happy and safe. Thanks goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey, checking in on this thread again.

Thank you again Goons in Platoons Vets. I followed your advice to not run away to the armed forces when I was in a very dark place. I got help, changed, kept towards a degree, got a couple, kept working, fell in love, moved in, got a new job per-pandemic, kept it, promoted, Domestic partnered, bigger apt., and now another promotion. I start training on Monday, two cats, and a partner I love deeply several years in.

Thank you for turning me away and reminding me of my better options.

I DID IT AND SO CAN YOU. Just shut up and listen.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

So it’s a perfect time to join the Navy Reserve?

I mean if I wanna continue my education and get a housing stipend? Do they still do GI housing loans?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You can get a VA loan, the G.I. Bill now pays 100% of your tuition and a housing stipend equal to the E-5 with Dependent housing rate. For my area that’s $2,100 a month.

It’s quite possibly the best way to get an education if you can memory hole 4-6 years in the military. Otherwise it’s kind of a wash. Unless you are Crab Dad.

Damnit lads, My partner and I have been house shopping. I bet the air force would still consider me too stupid

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

In short: You are plenty smart enough for the USAF. Have you thought about the Guard or Reserve?

I haven't thought more about it past this lol

Thanks for the encouragement