Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not caring here posted:

Please try not to kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ElMaligno posted:

What's my best option if I want to get some online college courses done?

AMU, the choice of E8s/9s everywhere

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

A guy in my platoon came down on orders and he only has like 17 months left. The Army is only going to get a year out of him at his new duty station before he comes back up here where he owns a house.

If he's smart he'll spend most of that time at ACAP

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

himurak posted:

There's a reason it went from up toward the top to last on the list, but I'd rather get paid to mop a tank than do the accounting for the Army.

Do accounting for the army. You get to make poo poo up and nobody cares.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Never join the military

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
There's no reason to hold back. Make it something you can expand into an actual biography

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don't loving do it

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Double posting but read through the post history of Mustang in the army thread and realize that you can avoid a shitload of trouble and stress by just not joining.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dick Burglar posted:

I wanted to supplement a career more than build one. I like the "service" aspect of military and first responder work, and I may not be able to work as a first responder at all, so I'm also interested in the military for that reason. However, I'm not super sold on the idea of going active because you basically hand your entire life over to the military for the next four years. I understand that reserves and guard still have obligations and can get deployed just like active duty, but at least you maintain some level of normalcy in the off-times. I suppose my attitude could change depending on the outcome of my legal challenge.

You want to join an NGO if you want to do actual service for people. The military is not where that happens.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Now go read through all of the posts Mustang made in the army thread. He's cav I believe, but there's enough crossover in the experience that it should give you a good idea of what being an infantry PL is like.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Since it's a government agency I'm going to guess yes

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The military won't solve your relationship issues.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

You sound depressed. Im not sure this is a good option.
But if you really want to stick it to your dad (I’m getting vibes of this) go Air Force Security Forces, that's basically infantry

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

HELLBITCH posted:

So what you guys are saying is go Army instead?

Go nuke in the navy

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Combat arms is an awful, lovely, horribly toxic environment. It will bring out the very worst in you. If you're okay with that then whatever, you do you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Steezo posted:

I like the shoulder that goes pop and stings or the whole arm going numb after moving poo poo part myself.

:whatup:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

Uh. I’ve never spent a night outside in the Navy Reserve.

https://youtu.be/5vAwktNw7_8

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

The problems you currently have would be amplified by enlisting. You'd still have those problems, but now you're in a contract with basically no agency over your life. Don't do it.

Alternatively, and bear with me on this, you could go 18X

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

I did and let me tell you how all my dreams came true.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not a value-add posted:

Hey guys, I have a somewhat specific question: I'm a recent college grad looking at the psyops officer position as a reservist. Is this available right off the bat or will I have to spend several years in another role before I'm eligible?

More generally, I'm looking to sign up as a way to get my foot in the door for a career in the intelligence community. Is this a really bad idea? I've reached out to a recruiter, but like other posters in this thread I feel like I should take what they tell me with a grain of salt.

lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm trash and still want to join up, though not til at least 2020 and hopefully we won't have Trump anymore at that point. Still the ol' imperialism, but at least hopefully without an utter loving madman at the helm.

I'm currently 33, so I'm near the aging out range. I'm going back to school for pre-med, but that's going to take until sometime in 2021. Then med school, then residency. So I will almost assuredly be 40+ by the time I'm done with medical training. I'm considering joining reserves or NG now, just because I don't know that I want to wait until I'm 40+ to join as a doctor (and that's assuming I succeed). I have a BA in Sociology (lol) and I'm a licensed paramedic. I am also insane and would prefer a more active/involved job than your typical officer role.

I know most people are going to say don't sign up, or to wait, but if I wanted to join in the near future, what would be my best option(s)?

18X

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

Not even close. Hell, the crab man was 37(?) when he joined the Navy Reserve.

My question to everyone interested in joining is "What do you want to do afterwards?" If the military is the best way to get there, so be it...but that's rarely the case.

I want to have the body of a 45 year old former professional pitcher at the age of 25, so I'm enlisting infantry!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not a value-add posted:

Well sounds like my "get a clearance by commissioning" plan was bad and dumb. I'll look at other opportunities, thanks guys.

Don't give up so easily. You should seriously consider 18X.

Unless you don't want to be Special Forces

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Enlist 18 X-ray in the army

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

Why do you want to be a Marine infantry officer?

This.

You get the same benefits whether you're combat arms or logistics. One of those has you far less likely to die for some bullshit.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kraftwerk posted:

Mostly I just wanted to educate myself on the details from people who have been in to get an idea of what it’s like. Is there any job where you feel like you did something important and can feel good about it when you look back on your life or is that a lot of wishful thinking and marketing from the recruiters?

ya, it's called not joining the mil

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Gonna say that mil sucks and don't do it but also we need some new posters

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Buddy, I'm not an endorsement you want

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Crab dad is the one in ten thousand that has had nothing but a good time. You should play those odds, poster thinking about enlisting. What's the worst that could happen?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Have you considered the Special Forces? Enlist 18X-ray in the army and do some high speed cool poo poo with your life. Don't be one of those pussy infantrymen, either. Be SF

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Vaha I cynicism post because my friends died or are killing themselves these days.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Scientist posted:

Q: How flexible is your MOS? Is it assigned based on your ASVAB score? Is it unheard of for someone with a high asvab to choose an infantry MOS?

Thanks and more to come if its OK

Infantry draws people with the lowest and the highest ASVAB scores. Your recruiter may try to talk you out of it. Ignore that. Tell them you want 18 X-ray instead.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Enlist and get your commission through OCS

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Scientist posted:

My reasons are sort of ludicrous.

1. Lifelong interest in military history
2. interest in self-improvement & discipline
3. interest in toughening up (physically & emotionally), building self confidence
4. feelings of inadequacy of not having served inmilitary
5. desire to test myself
6. desire for adventure
7. patriotism

I'm interested in infantry in particular. If my only option was an MOS that was like IT or cybersecurity I don't think I'd wanna sign on for 5 years or whatever, I'd just stay in my career field in civilian world

you both mean in reserves right since Im 33? that's my only option re: enlistment. Do people enlist in the reserves then go to officer's school?

p.s. I am aware that I am lame and cliche af

Age eligibility to enlist is between 17-35 years old per the US Army's website

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh and number 4 won't go away with service, it'll just be shifted to feelings of inadequacy for serving during peacetime and being a cherry boot bitch your whole career

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Army bad, don't do it

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don't loving do it, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stultus Maximus posted:

So you're getting a Master's degree in computer science and you feel your life would be more fulfilling if you switched to a job whose skills are best summed up as:
- walking while carrying heavy things
- supervising 18 year olds while they walk while carrying heavy things
- occasionally shooting something

That last one almost never happens. There's also lots and lots of running for PT.