Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

What up Military Goons.

So, I've thought about this for a while, but I want to join the Navy. My old man was a chief, his old man was a chief, my uncle was an officer blah blah basically there's a strong navy tradition in the family. Aside from this kinda unimportant motivation, I realized that my college degree (a bachelors of science in Environmental science) is not much use without some proper workplace experience. So, I figured I want to shoot for being a SWO, spend 4 years in the Navy, and then get out and use that sweet GI bill to pay for a Masters, and then parlay being a vet with a masters into getting employed in my field. I'm 22, and set to graduate this semester, so aside from the task of losing a bunch of weight, I want to join when I'm 23.

Advantages to my favor:

3.0 GPA, which I guess isn't a disadvantage
The old man was literally a recruiter for the Navy during the last years of his enlistment, so though his knowledge of practices may be outdated(he retired shortly after the 1st Gulf War), I'm still taking him down to the recruiter with me.
A few good letters of rec from my professors
Provided I don't get pulled over again for another two or three months, no arrests/convictions
Fluent in Spanish, which again is not a disadvantage at least

Disadvantages

1. I have a torn meniscus in my left knee. I haven't gotten an MRI yet (Tricare kicks in on the 1st), but either way, the long term prognosis is good, even if I end up having to get a menisctomoy. Would the fact that I have a repaired knee be an impediment/outright disqualification to becoming a SWO?
2. Peacetime military. I've been looking through This officer billet's opening spreadsheet and it seems like there's a tremendous need for aviation personnel right now. Are there any Goons out there who are Naval aviation peoples? I'm not exactly particular on what billet I eventually end up in, only that I'm firmly convinced that enlisting with a degree is a retarded move.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hey guys,

So, my old man was a Navy lifer and has been light-weight pressuring me to commission for years and years. The hitch is that I'm autistic. I was diagnosed at a very young age and put through specialized schooling(not straight up special ed but it was different from the regular population). My understanding is that Autism Spectrum Disorder is by and large not waiver-able.

My father's advice in this regard was basically lie to the recruiter and not say anything about it, but I feel like if I ever went to get a security clearance it would come up. Can you guys enlighten me on this? I'm not hell bent on joining the Navy, but I'm curious about whether or not its even a possibility I could consider.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

DaNerd posted:

Could you consider the possibility of lying to a recruiter? Yes and then hopefully come to the conclusion that it's dumb and you shouldn't want to join the Navy anyways.

Yeah, this is essentially the conclusion that I've already come to. Lying to a recruiter about something that will almost definitely come out later is out and out stupid as gently caress.

What I'm curious about is - is it possible to get a waiver? My own research says probably not, but I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through the process at all.

The reason why I'm even asking is that my recent experience is kind of funneling me into toward working for the government. Recently, I did an exam for a position I was curious about, checked my ranking, and found I literally had 9,500+ people ahead of me in ranking on their exams. The vets were already first rank, ahead of even people who were first rank. I mean, sheesh. My father is most definitely a loving idiot, but he's hugely profited from his veteran status in his civilian life post-Navy. I can see the benefit of it. And with coronavirus and the Dow Jones plummetting like a bag of poo poo out of the heavens, this might be the right time to consider this stuff.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Ok. Thanks for the answers dudes.