Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

When I enlisted, I was offered loving boatloads of cash as enlistment bonuses if I'd choose 14series. I just wanted 11x.

That was over a year ago, and the bonuses are just getting bigger for 14series. My Basic Training battlebuddies seem to be liking their jobs in ADA, so it seems like it can't be the worst choice.

I swear to good lord god almighty if you utter battle buddy one more time I'm chain probating you, Vahakyla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Yeah, they'll forgive weed.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Nm

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

I mean if I wanna continue my education and get a housing stipend? Do they still do GI housing loans?

You can get a VA loan, the G.I. Bill now pays 100% of your tuition and a housing stipend equal to the E-5 with Dependent housing rate. For my area that’s $2,100 a month.

It’s quite possibly the best way to get an education if you can memory hole 4-6 years in the military. Otherwise it’s kind of a wash. Unless you are Crab Dad.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

Damnit lads, My partner and I have been house shopping. I bet the air force would still consider me too stupid

I had a 68 on my ASVAB and that was high enough for everything but 9S100 and Flight Engineer in the USAF. I went Intel, and I never really found any kind of correlation between that goddamned test and how people perform on the job.

I think it was a 68 in the general, I don’t remember exactly. I just know 99% of people lie about their ASVAB scores because 99% of folks will say they got a loving 99.

In short: You are plenty smart enough for the USAF. Have you thought about the Guard or Reserve?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
In line units, yeah- your right. I spent a bit of staff time, and my best friends were Army lieutenants and captains while I was just a staff sergeant or so at the time. And in the USAF it’s entirely different altogether in a lot of different corners.

But yeah, in general, what he said.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Ya’ll got physical fitness standards and can you avoid having to get a security clearance? Asking for a younger but older friend.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

However, you can pursue flying slots as an officer in the Army National Guard, and you can join into a job with less uncertainty. The Army National Guard will hire you into a slot. But if you wash out, they're unlikely to let you go be a civilian and you'll do something else.

Right now the USAF is absolutely chock loving chonkers full of most Aeronautically Rated jobs which Godholio talked about (Pilot, Navigator, ABM, Remote Pilot) and getting those outside of USAFA or ROTC is demanding. There were zero pilot OTS slots for Active Duty two years ago, and a handful last year. You can get luckier if ABM or Remote Pilot is something you're okay with, but even that is tricky into active duty. This year the AFROTC had one of history's toughest cuts for all Rated jobs.

Air National Guard will likely get you in as one of those jobs if you aren't too picky, since the ANG side has some shortage across the rated spectrum.

But active duty Air Force? Yeah, likely not right now. There's close to a 1000 manned pilot slots in backlog. For the first time roughly _EVER_ the Air Force Academy might be having to tell people who want Rated jobs that they will not get them in all cases next year. Traditionally USAFA gets them, ROTC gets rest, and then OTS fills in what is short.

There’s a cycle to these things and it typically plays out the same way.

We’re never not gonna be like two monkeys trying to gently caress a football when it comes to personnel, and manning. The more important it is, the harder those monkeys go family style on the football. And since pilots are the lifeblood of the USAF those monkeys are harder than a diamond in an ice storm and they’re wearing belly shirts that read “I gently caress harder than the government” and one of them is clearly high on a cocaine, fentanyl, ketamine, PCP, and bath salts cocktail.

In short, this will never not be the case, so just try and be born at the right time and it’ll be super easy to become a pilot or next to loving impossible. Total tossup.

I miss the USAF sometimes. I know it doesn’t miss me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

(the forum stance is still that it is always a bad idea anyway, right?)

To join the Army? Yeah.
You never go full retard. To quote Tropic Thunder

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Enlisted time only counts to your total active military service time, not commissioned time.

I’ve known some old rear end officers in my time. Very few prior E’s with any significant E time make O-6 anyway. Not because they’re looked down on or anything, it’s just a time thing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Godholio posted:

The dudes who enlist, commission, then stick it out to make 3 or 4 stars just blow my loving mind.

There were several prior enlisted CNO’s, and Mike Mullen was both CNO and then CJCS as a prior enlisted man if my memory is correct. There’s been quite a few prior E CJCS’s which… :stare:

Consequently no CSAF has ever done time as enlisted.

But that doesn’t really tell you much. I mean USN Officers are notorious for loving making GBS threads on E’s and treating them as lesser rather than subordinate and USAF Officer are notorious for literally partying and fraternizing with E’s.

Plus the first prior enlisted CJCS was General David Jones, USAF. Enlisted in the Army Air Corps in ‘43, was CJCS from ‘78-‘82.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Godholio posted:

A couple of early CSAFs were enlisted guard bums back in the 50s or 60s, but that probably doesn't count.

You know which ones because I can’t find any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
If you were officer material you’d probably be one by now instead of doing what your doing which is the epitome of pussyfooting and looking for hand holding.

That’s more my people’s department, and we fix it, gently caress it, or forget it with alarming alacrity if it involves ethics or anything to do with the E-4 mafia.

Even the most Junior of officers can have a dozen men and women under them, easily. Not so much with the USAF, but in some fields.. well.. The ones where the enlisted do all the loving work and the officers are just glorified HR and Project Managers? (Looking at you Cyber, Maintenance, an astonishing amount of the shoe clerks, most of Intel, and a few others in the USAF) you can be an O-1 with 10-30 people under you right outta your school.

How the gently caress are you going to be able to lead/command/control/account for 30 goddamn living breathing human beings if you can’t even learn the USAF’s first and truest and longest surviving Shiboleth?

I wasn’t Officer material. You don’t sound like you are, either.