Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Just lol if you're still in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Be a man. Join the infantry.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mr Newsman posted:

I've got a masters degree in engineering and currently teach engineering undergrads at a state university. It's dull as hell and on a year by year contract that has nothing to do with performance.

Had a buddy of mine stop by my office yesterday who was in town recruiting at the career fairs and he did his job and got me interested in checking out potential careers.

Wondering if anyone has gone in (I'm 29 late this year) with advanced education and viewed it as a positive experience. I might qualify for some of the Navy Biochem positions based on some work I've done before/during academia but I don't know for sure - he didn't have any experience with that side of stuff.

Thoughts? I get paid poo poo now but have decent benefits and a ton of time off. I was the first dude in my family to not go into the military so I know a bit about what it's like, although we had it pretty easy mostly.

Enlist infantry.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Lazy Reservist posted:

Go to a trade school, get an apprenticeship, and start earning more in four years than you would enlisting.

This. Plumbers and electricians are in high demand. Especially plumbers.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Enlist infantry. You will love it. We had a 40 year old who I'm guessing got a waver. 40 year old privates are natural born winners.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mustang posted:

That is horrible advice. Why would anyone want to be an old fart combat arms private

:thejoke:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

There are only 2 jobs; infantry and pog bitches.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I swear to good lord god almighty if you utter battle buddy one more time I'm chain probating you, Vahakyla.

Thank you.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Or enlist infantry 8 years.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Active duty infantry you loving pussy

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Enlist infantry with a degree you pussy bitch

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mustang posted:

So you get a commission, go to BOLC or whatever your branches officer training is, get out at like 3 or 4 pm when you're not in the field. While in between follow on courses you'll show up for PT and 0930 formation and then have the rest of the day off to jerk off, go to the gym, see what there is to do in Columbus, GA (hint:nothing, burn this city to the ground), go to the gym, jerk off. You might accumulate 3 months of jerking off before you're done with your follow on schools and go to your first duty station.

You'll get to your first duty station and mostly likely end up on staff working with a bunch of other LT's and some CPT's. Depending on where you're stationed you may or may not be surrounded by a bunch of socially awkward academy grads that make you cringe every time you see them interact with somebody that isn't an officer. If you're at Lewis, Carson, Germany or Italy you're probably swamped by West Pointers.

Eventually you'll be sent down to a platoon to be a PL. This is the most fun part. If you're not a dickbag you'll enjoy working with your NCO's and PSG, and non shitbag soldiers. On the other hand, you'll constantly be tasked to do things that seem like a tremendous waste of time. You WILL waste a tremendous amount of time as a PL. Whether it's standing around twiddling your thumbs in the motor pool watching oil stains grow because your new BN leadership come from an ABCT or waiting for your soldiers to print out AT lvl 1 certs from a printer 2 miles from the computer they're using, you are going to waste a lot of time. And here's some free chicken as the Army likes to say: right click somebody's name on their AT lvl 1 cert, click edit text, and then have one your NCO's fill in everybody's name to print off. Congratulations, you and your platoon never have to do 90% of online training ever again.

And then there's all the personal issues you have to deal with like divorces, DUI's, drug dealing, theft, whatever. If one of your soldiers farts you better have a counselling ready.

So, what I'm trying to get at is this: gently caress the Army.

Saving this post for science

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

nwin posted:

Coast guard.

We have some lovely old boats with cramped sleeping quarters, but that’s about the worst you can get.

He said military though