Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Knives Amilli posted:

Does anyone know of a website that sells air force blues and at a lower rate than AAFES? Im a MXS guardsmen whose worn his blues twice in 6 years and not only have I gotten to fat for my Tech School fit blues but I also lost my service coat

On the Army Guard (and Reserve) side we don't receive a clothing allowance like active duty service members and therefore are able to order all clothing items for free from supply. Does the Air Guard not work this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You might be able to enroll as a special student too, which is a lot easier than applying as a degree seeking student.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Afaik there is a program to receive an early discharge to start school?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

So how do you get those jobs, then?

Also going by the goarmy.com site, infantry and armor aren't even listed as reserve options.

The Army Reserve doesn't have actual combat arms units as the ARNG has all of them. If you want to be infantry or armor as a reservist the guard is your only option.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

To be fair, lower enlisted as a reservist in the right MOS isn't horribly bad. But active duty? gently caress no.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do NOAA/PHS officers get the same pay and retirement as Coast Guard/DoD services?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

I feel like I want to stay in 20, but there might be bazillion reasons out there that'd change it, against my will or otherwise. Should I opt into BRS? I feel like I should. In case I do, 40 percent of base pay is still pretty decent, plus I have my TSP. I know this is a very broad question, but I'm having a hard time right now deciding.

The likelyhood of you staying until 20 years is not high. Half of GiP probably thought they'd stay for 20 early in their careers until they hit a wall and noped the gently caress out. Go for the BRS so you walk away with something.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

If you’re like me and an International Relations major, I took the FSOT, passed and never got called about an interview. From what I understand the State department isn’t in great shape after Trump took office.

Well, at least you'll most likely have 10 point veteran's preference when you separate. Plus Trump will almost assuredly be on his way out of office by then.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Trump is gonna be in office for 20 years?

:golfclap:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This is obviously some sort of long con troll attempt.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

HELLBITCH posted:

It's true, I'm trolling myself and enlisting

If that's true enlist 11x for 6 years with no bonus. No balls.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:fuckoff:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean ostensibly you have a college degree since you're trying to be an officer which means you have options (other than the military). Most people are going to tell you not to join, but if you are going to join the USCG is probably one of the best options. Have you considered the Coast Guard reserve?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 9, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Public Health Service

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Uh there's few WO jobs that will take you without being prior enlisted in that field. Aviation obviously, maybe some signal or logistics stuff?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You can in some circumstances go in from off the street to being a WO, it's just unlikely.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

To be fair, neither does the Regular Army.

In my experience the regular Army is equally incompetent, they just have this Dunning-Kruger type deal where they're unaware of being incompetent.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Herr Tog posted:

years ago this thread helped me not run away from my responsibility and go to college. I'm happy and safe. Thanks goons

:unsmith:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

DaNerd posted:

I spent 9 years in the reserves and I overall enjoyed it, but I joined at 20 with a GED and some college credits after working retail. A year of initial training, two deployments, and some volunteer active duty stuff and I still only made 90% GI Bill. It can definitely be beneficial and does work okay for a lot of folks, but if your goal is to get a clearance and the GI Bill then joining the reserves/guard is just not the best way to achieve those goals IMO.

VocRehab my dude, I'm assuming you have a VA rating after that time. Partial Post 9/11 (even if it's like 1 month left) + VocRehab = 100% BAH + school paid for.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That seems odd, on what grounds? As long as you have enough VA rating you should be eligible for it.

"two deployments, and some volunteer active duty stuff"

also 40% seems way low. 12 months is 60% and it sounds like you've got more AD time than that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Odd, do you already have a degree or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Ah, that makes a whole lot more sense. 1SG is a dick.