Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
How desperate are our armed forces for people? I've posted before and I'll ask again, turning 34 in November have a BS in Accounting and two charges Burgulary / Theft same day adversely adjudicated (pretrial crap) over a decade ago. Can I get in yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Godholio posted:

Also, I commissioned at 24 and was the 3rd oldest in my training class, behind a former Army NG captain in his 40s and a guy who broke his leg or something and got washed back more than a year. Everyone else was 22. So enjoy being the grandpa. It'll be far worse if you enlist, which is probably the worst decision you could make.

What do you actually want to do?

I'd love 74A, but am open to the enlisting side 74D ideally. At this point I'm not terribly picky. Civilian life is lovely so I might as well get a pension in 20 for the suck. Intel, signals, diver, and network warfare are all on my radar.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

I'm full on retard so not going in isn't on my radar. I've literally been trying for years, so recommend me some Army (figuring that's the most likely one to take me) jobs that you all would rather be doing. Obviously officer takes preference.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Yea I have been running every week with the local recruiters for about 6 years now. I'm qualified in every way except the legal stuff so I've been waiting. I think my age has been getting to me creating an artificial pressure to rush into anything. I've always been into electronics and chemicals, EoD has always been number 1 on my list.

Like I said though I'm willing to negotiate for other things that interest me, like Intel, signal, and CBRN. I know most of it is poo poo work, but I do poo poo work now with no long term prospects even close to on the horizon.

Tax season is nice, but it doesn't even pay all the bills. I want a long term career option that has some sort of future in it. I already was raised by a Marine, who was raised by Navy, who was raised by Air Force so I get the poo poo show that can, and usually does happen.

I've always had a sense of commitment, just figured it out much later in life than I should have. I can't say I've always wanted to serve blah blah blah I figured it out about 12 years ago and have been trying since. I hosed up in my past and have been moving forward since and I get that.

Why do I want to do this? Probably because I'm not raised like everyone else and I understand that sacrifices have to be made in order to enable people to have the opportunities I feel they should have. I'm willing to make those sacrifices and a lot of people around me don't get it, but they all support me in my decision to do so.

Now you want dead honesty on the Internet there you go. I'm willing to die to even give the slightest chance someone else can get a opportunity they never would have before. Some people are just better tools for fighting, and I have no other way of putting it.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

seriously don't do chemical, I'm telling you. its 90% chance you're running a literal carwash with mops. You learn some cool stuff every once in awhile but no, don't, please.

and it promotes like poo poo and is constantly being downsized and pushed off to reserve/guard units

edit: CM officers are some of the worst officers in the US Army too, it's probably the least desirable designation you can get, which means it's like the people dead last in their ROTC program and poo poo. The absolute worst.

There's a reason it went from up toward the top to last on the list, but I'd rather get paid to mop a tank than do the accounting for the Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

All right tomorrow running is canceled, but I'll bother them Monday. I'm down to 89, 35, or 25 series ideally. If 14 is my only option in then I'll do construction again. I'm sure that the waiver still won't be there, yet, but I have a much more concise plan and hope for the first time in a while. I also feel like an absolute rear end that this crap is what has to happen to give me hope on getting in, but I don't control that poo poo.