Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splal
Oct 9, 2003
PrObLeM is the coolest Mother Fucker I know.

Mr Newsman posted:

I mean I am mostly just looking to see if the big bag of dicks that is the United States of America Military has any opportunities for people that aren't looking to get their education after they shovel poo poo for 5 years. I don't need to be a super hero and fully expected to be told that I would just be a paper pusher. I really do understand that most science / research isn't done (only funded) by the DoD.

Seems silly to not at least consider it when I'd be looking at 4-6 more years making 20-35k/year without benefits to move up in academia. :shrug:

It's me, I'm the idiot that did this-engineering masters, went Air Force OTS. You do find out your career field before you go to OTS, I would have walked if I got something other than engineering.

As mentioned, for engineers it's a total crapshoot on what kind of job you get assigned to. Good chance you're pushing paper, I somehow won the lottery and my first assignment has been fantastic. Plenty of technical work, get to fly reasonably often, still a standard measure of bullshit to put up with that you don't encounter in the private sector. Did well and was able to avoid the AFPC dice roll and now have my next assignment lined up which looks to be pretty awesome too.

As far as I can tell, such luck is not at all typical so take it with a giant grain of salt. I went in with the attitude of having an adventure until it sucks and then moving on. So far it's worked out. lovely pay for an engineer for a few years but it catches up fast assuming you manage to not get a DUI. The medical career fields are special so I got nothing there, but pm me if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU