Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Waroduce posted:

My girlfriend has spoken to me about her joining the military in order to pay for gradschool. She has a mo-tard AF guy shes friends with who wont shut up about how awesome it is, and one of her friends was also in the airforce, got out and is collecting 3k a month and going to law school for free.

She is worried about paying for grad school. She's 27, has a criminal justice or some such degree from UF, and has a decent legal job, and is looking for more hence the interest in the military.

I told her she'd hate it but she wont believe me and shes asked me about joining for benefits and i pretty much just laugh her out of the room due to you guys, several guys ive spoken to ( 2 Nam era SEALs and a friends friend who was a green beret in afghanistan) and generally all the bullshit i hear about military life.

Can someone give me some reasons why she shouldn't join so the next time this comes up I have something other to say than you're loving retarded?

Honestly it isn't a terrible idea depending on what she wants to do. It's been a while since I've looked but I'm pretty sure there's a JAG direct accession program. If she got picked up she'd go to law school on the govt. dime then go through a 2 week kiddie course where she learns who to salute and who salutes her, and she'd come out a Capt. making like $85-90k equivalent (don't know if JAGs get special duty pay). A program like that would be legit.

If she's looking to enlist just for the GI bill (and not go guard or reserve or something) then she's going to have a terrible time. She's going to be treated the same as some 18yo fuckwit. She'll have to take out other peoples trash, file random papers because the O's are too busy to, get coffee and all that other stupid stuff, basically like she's an idiot child. It's fine for an 18yo just leaving mommy and daddy's house, it's completely different for someone who's 27, with a degree, living as an adult and looking to go to grad school.

FWIW I'm at my 8 year mark going for my Majors board next year and I love it. But I also joined late (25yo) and was miserable as a banker/insurance salesman. Honestly this is the easiest job I've ever had (I've been a banker, insurance salesman, drove trucks for FedEx, and worked in a library) and the pay is pretty drat awesome. I'm an EWO on EC-130h for reference.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Godholio posted:

Small world. I just spent a week listening to one of your patches speak a foreign language with engineers.

Who and where?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Godholio posted:

Sheldon, at Fallon.

lol very good friend of mine. Would you believe he's a massive gun nut?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

My application to a distance learning master's program (AFIT) got rejected, and the admissions department said I should reapply after taking 1 Math and 2 Quantitative Engineering courses. I'm trying not to get too bummed about this, but I have no idea how to actually take for-credit online courses from a real school. My travel and work schedules here won't reasonably allow me to take a semester in person at a local school. Can anyone help me get a start?

I took classes at the University of North Dakota. I don't know if your engineering courses will require labs, but if they do they're held in 2 week sessions over the summer.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

I already have a BA in chemistry, so I really don't know if I am able to go for a second BA, a Masters or what I should go for.

Depends on the masters. There are tons of MBA programs that are online only, I got my MBA from Oklahoma State, and I know UofA does an online MBA as well. I think Oklahoma Univ. (not state) does an online engineering masters as well, one of our pilots was getting it in rocketry or something.