Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is linked from the IVFW rules thread as:

quote:

Active Duty / Prospective Enlistees Resource & Discussion thread. Post here with questions about joining the military. Be prepared for brutal honesty.

so I'm here on that premise (bolded).

I was reading an article about the recent russian flare up and how the russian national guard were the ones who actually dug the trenches on the highway to slow things down. This reminded me we also have a national guard, and then made me curious why russia has one. So my question is, phrased in the context of this thread:

Why would you join the National Guard vs the more traditional US Army/US Marines? And maybe more importantly, what is the real function of the National Guard in 2023. All the wikipedia stuff I've read indicates it's a defense force run by the govenor, but since the spanish american war, from my extremely limited knowledge and perspective, there doesn't seem to be a strong need for state level militias.

Side note, Charles Dick of the Dick Act, or Militia Act of 1903 (which created the National Guard) looks like a creepy version of Nicholas Cage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Act_of_1903

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is _absolutely_ the wrong thread for this, but, band of Brothers is back at Netflix, the 101st, 182nd, 505 etc. I will Concede this is the wrong thread for this but as as long time civilian adult with long time curiosity what is the naming convention here, or how does this work with the numbers.

How did we get to triple digits, I feel like we would have gotten to 50 or so, and then we reserve a couple of the 3 digit battalions for posterity, I guess based on happenings, but I can't find (and I've looked, several times, I promise, Wikipedia is very opaque on this) any reason why they picked the numbers they did. Sounds like 182nd earned their fame via events (?), but curious about the rest. Probably there's a magic keyword in the search I'm missing. Apologies in advance for being really dumb about this, I really did try, several times. Sometimes these things escape me and I'm just dumb.

Dick Burglar posted:

It looks like the Coast Guard also has a higher age limit (41!), so I suppose I could look into those jobs too. I don’t suppose anyone can advise on the process for Coasties?

Mildly curious to hear more about this. I'm in to boats and see the coast guard on the regular.