Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
If you're really interested in targeting, Air Force is where you want to be. The 1N1 career field is the imagery analysts, and they're broken down into two shreds. One is the imagery analysts. These are the guys who look at overhead imagery and say "There are X number of X type of planes sitting on this tarmac. Oh, by the way, these ones were recently refueled or had armaments placed on them." The other shred is targeteers. These guys look at imagery, but instead of saying what it is, they tell pilots how best to blow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
My experience working with sister services has shown that each branch is really good at one type of intel. Air Force is good at imagery, Navy/Marines are good at SIGINT/ELINT, and Army is good at HUMINT.

iyaayas01 posted:

Truth in advertising, a sizable portion of USAF intel (particularly imagery anything) is currently tied up in DCGS's doing something along the lines of "yeah that guy looks bad, let's watch him for a while......okay now he's on a motorbike...........now he's walking........now he's in a house........now he went to sleep.....now he just took a dump........now he's loving a goat.........now he's walking again..............now he's back on a motorbike...............*5 days later*....alright he's doin' some bad poo poo, let's go kinetic........*60 minutes later the strike's lined up and the JTAC clears the MQ-9 hot* *boom*"

"Hey that guy running away looks bad, let's watch him for a while..."

OP don't think I'm discouraging you from doing intel because there's a helluva lot worse jobs to do in the AF as well as the military as a whole. Just didn't want you thinking that the entirety of the career field is looking at air fields and tanks and warships and cool poo poo like that and thinking of ways to blow them up. It's just that a lot of what we're doing today as a military is less focused on high-end conflict and more focused on stuff like Iraq (Part II or Part III) and Afghanistan. That's not to say that there aren't other things out there or that you're guaranteed to do nothing but sit in a windowless room in front of a bunch of computer monitors slamming Monsters and watching Afghans take dumps...but it's also not to say that you won't be doing exactly that if you enter as an imagery anything intel AFSC.

Dammit, I'm trying to sell a career field here!

But yeah, this is the unsexy side of imagery, or any other intel field, that your recruiter won't tell you about. It's pretty much 90% monitoring/analyzing and 10% executing.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Fire Storm posted:

At work me and my co-workers ended up talking about registering for the draft and as conversations tend to drift, we were talking about maximum age for enrolling and seeing how we were both eligible for Air National Guard, I checked the job opportunities at our local base (Selfridge in Michigan, home of the 127th wing) AND... I saw a few I was interested in (aircraft maintenance and service mostly).

How bad of an idea is this? Along the lines of "You're stupid for even thinking this is an idea"?

38, 4-year IT degree but generally unhappy with my career path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYodLUtySHk

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Pon de Bundy posted:

im a perenellial gently caress up and my gpa is not officer material , I am 27 would I hate my life in the enlisted Air Force ?? I want that sweet GI bill money for a do over and all . I got a 92 on their little practice asvab. Air Force seems like the place you'd least hate your life

Go to a trade school, get an apprenticeship, and start earning more in four years than you would enlisting.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Or you can say gently caress you to the AD recruiters, get chummy with a Guard or Reserve unit that has a vacancy for the job you want, and go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Alex433999 posted:

Any marines who've been through marsoc or are currently in marsoc? I managed to secure an infantry contract with a high ist and gt score on my asvab. Even though that technically qualifies me, i dont know much about it and would like more information like the school(s) that i have to go through, what roles are performed, etc. I would ask my recruiter but he doesnt have much info besides whats already on the marine corps website

Ask IDR.