Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If you have a bachelors degree there is no excuse not to enlist with an OCS contract. You're going to be old for your rank regardless, may as well be treated better and make more money while you're doing it.

More importantly, what do you want to get out of your military experience? Specifically, if you get out at the end of your commitment because you don't enjoy the military lifestyle, how will your experience help you as a civilian? There's a lot of MOS's that are very difficult to translate to anything a civilian might value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Officers of all types spend most of their time doing white collar office work. You will become very familiar with Microsoft office if you aren't already.

Life in a brigade combat team involves long days and lots of time spent in the field training for a rotation through one of the combat training centers. Turning red boxes into green boxes will consume most of your time.

The Scientist posted:

1. Lifelong interest in military history
2. interest in self-improvement & discipline
3. interest in toughening up (physically & emotionally), building self confidence
4. feelings of inadequacy of not having served inmilitary
5. desire to test myself
6. desire for adventure
7. patriotism

While it may have it's moments, the combat arms life isn't nearly as fun or rewarding as you're likely imagining it to be. You can count on it to be rough on both your mental and physical health. Even the lifers aren't happy, just surviving to retirement.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Hilariously, as an international relations undergrad I also tried to become an FSO but didn't make it and became an Army officer instead.

Hopefully your nerd branch keeps you out of the BCTs. Otherwise, say hello to NTC/JRTC/Hohenfels for me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah, I can't imagine I'll find anywhere else I'll want to live more than WA. Not really interested in working for the government anymore, I value my freedom too much.

The GI Bill life is great, going to an expensive grad school program and not paying a dime is a great feeling.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah I've been pretty lucky in dealing with the VA so far for sure. Hope they'll get your stuff worked out before too long, it's insane how slow they are at processing stuff.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Rent is going up in Seattle but they keep dropping BAH? What's the logic?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I live in and go to school in Seattle and UW is in the 98195 Zipcode. E5 with dependents BAH will be $2592 in 2022, compared to $2679 in 2021, $2748 in 2020 and $2808 in 2019.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Your best option is to call a recruiter for the branches your interested in because they're not always accepting all waivers all of the time. I may be mistaken but I doubt anyone in here is currently a recruiter.

They all have different ways they process people and a certain waiver might be acceptable in one branch but not another.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Don't worry about it too much, they'll train you in all of the tactical/technological poo poo you need to know. It's going to be pretty straightforward unless you're naturally an indecisive person.

All officers spend most of their time doing white collar office work, you're going to become very familiar with Microsoft Office if you aren't already. If you want to get ahead of the game, get good at excel. Planning and coordinating upcoming events will occupy most of your time.

Platoon leaders and commanders get to do more of the more exciting stuff as well but you're still going to be spending a lot of time behind a computer.

If you want to make your bosses (and your own) life easier then get into the habit of never coming to them with problems unless you've already come up with some solutions yourself. It's extremely unlikely you're ever going to come across a truly unique problem to solve and your boss is going to feel like they need to micromanage you if you're constantly coming to them with problems but no solutions.

Leverage the experience of your peers, your NCO's, or junior enlisted troops. They all have some knowledge or experience that you lack and you'd be a fool to ignore it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've had a brigade commander and a squadron commander that were prior SSGs with 30+ years in the Army.

Completely opposite personalities. The brigade commander was a raging rear end in a top hat and kind of dumb, the squadron commander was one of the chillest guys I ever met in the Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Officers do have good employment options outside of the military, as they all largely do white collar office work no matter what branch/speciality they might have.

What are you hoping to get out of this experience? GI Bill for a masters? Foot in the door of a white collar professional career?

I commissioned at 27 and felt somewhat old compared to the 22 and 23 year olds fresh out of college. When you commision you're going to be over a decade older, with everyone your age being either field grade officers with 10-15 years of experience or NCOs. Will likely be difficult finding peers at a similar stage in life. Your fellow second lieutenants will have only been legally able to drink alcohol for a couple years, and probably spending their weekends getting hammered at whatever lovely military bars are near the base you're at.