Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I have yet to actually talk to a person about VR&E other than going in circles, like literally one time it was a chain of 3 offices that referred me back to the person I started with, then it was a chain of 5 offices before I ended back up there. Seems like nobody in this area actually knows who handles it because every part of the benefit’s system here thinks someone else handles it. No one actually knows how to reach a VR&as counselor

Had I actually shown up for school I probably would have been in that situation and been pretty hosed but I decided not to start or move until I had some sort of confirmation from someone who seemed like they actually knew what was going on.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
He’s banned right now and out of pocket for a bit- But “The Weed Number” has jumped through every VR&E hoop there is. He knows how to maximize your benefits and go above those gate keeping counselors to get you where you want to go. He got a year at Columbia that way.

Hopefully when he comes back he can give you some insight.

Heads up he’s not your neurotypical person so he can come across as abrasive or trying to hard but the guys heart is sincerely in the right place.

I’d text him to come to this thread but he’s in dispose.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

He’s banned right now and out of pocket for a bit- But “The Weed Number” has jumped through every VR&E hoop there is. He knows how to maximize your benefits and go above those gate keeping counselors to get you where you want to go. He got a year at Columbia that way.

Hopefully when he comes back he can give you some insight.

Heads up he’s not your neurotypical person so he can come across as abrasive or trying to hard but the guys heart is sincerely in the right place.

I’d text him to come to this thread but he’s in dispose.

Oh bummer. Well who is. Hopefully he’s feeling better soon.

I found out about VR&E from a guy who was fixing up water damage at my mom’s places who had a kid who was a marine who used it, not a lot out there about the program.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Anybody familiar with retroactive induction? Saw it on the VA website yesterday and it looks like I can get back my GI Bill time by having it reclassified as VR&E. I graduated and got a job so I’d be claiming completion of the full VR&E plan.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Retroactive Induction is new to me. Some quick searching though (from https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/eligibility/)

quote:

But if you already used other VA education benefits and we determine that you’re eligible for VR&E, we may retroactively approve your previous months of entitlement and return them to the other VA education program. This is called “retroactive induction.” Ask your VRC if you meet the eligibility criteria for a retroactive induction.

Sounds like you need to get in VR&E and then discuss it with your counselor. Don't know if there would be a way to contact a counselor first and discuss it but you should really sign up for VR&E if you are eligible.

Bare in mind the reason why a lot of us push vets to get in VR&E (formerly Voc Rehab I guess) is because, and this is how it was explained to me, once you are in the program you are in for life. The example told me was of a Vietnam vet who drove a truck his whole career, as he got older his body couldn't handle it so he went to then Voc Rehab and they asked him what he wanted and what he could do. He asked to be a social worker and they sent him off to school to become one. No idea if it was shitthatdidn'thappen.txt but it sounds like they will be there to make sure you get and stay employed throughout your life.

I will tell you my experience, that is relevant as of probably around 6 years ago. How much is changed I don't know. When you finally get in you will have to take a general knowledge test, take it seriously. They use this to determine if you can actually accomplish what you say you want to do. If you do bad and say you want to be a doctor, they probably won't agree to the plan. They will also ask you to research a couple jobs that you would like to do. Something from LinkedIn or Indeed will work. Then you look at government websites and determine what the demand is going to be by the time you graduate, if school is your thing. I remember I had like 2 engineering jobs (Mechanical and Optical) and a photojournalist job as well. We decided on Mechanical Engineering. Photojournalism wasn't really in demand and optical engineering was too niche (great pay, too few openings). So I went Mechanical.

I went to community college first to get my math skills up mostly then I transferred to a state school. My counselor got me a laptop and printer from the school computer store. I also got $75 to spend on supplies at the store each semester. Now I had used like 2 years of my GI BILL already at this point on a different, worthless art degree* so my counselor added more GI BILL months to pay for my school. I basically never even used anything I had left, still have like 2 years left. I did get the monthly stipend, to get it you need at least 1 day of GI BILL benefits left. I was also told by my counselor that if something came up that would interfere with my schooling they could help. Example she gave me was if I have a toothache that is making me miss class they will pay for the dentist visits. Same way if you have disabilities that will interfere with your program they are supposed to help.

* Please don't go to art school, especially not a for profit. If you are interested in the film industry just ask and I will tell you what I know.

I graduated and it took 6 months to land a job (yay covid), that was 2.5 years ago and in 6 more months I will be making six figures. Barely but still. Dollar Dollar Bill Y'all.

Now school is not the only option. If you don't want to go back to school they are supposed to help in whatever will make you either employable or self sustainable. Like if you were a photographer by trade and needed studio equipment or software or something they are supposed to help you out. Your counselor has to agree to this though.

Does anyone remember the website that was searchable for Voc Rehab decisions? Supposedly if you could find a situation in this database you could use it as evidence to get them to support your chosen program (like the photographer thing above). Supposedly people have gotten equipment to become small business people. If I find the website I will let y'all know.

SMEGMA, are you in like a high volume area or something? 8 Months sounds excessive. Of course 10 years ago that would sound about right. If you know where the physical office is you could go there and try to schedule something with someone. I really don't know what to do for you. Is there a help number on the website you signed up on? I still say hit up the Legion or something. They know how this voodoo works. The reason why I was trying to get you in touch with a counselor is I believe they can look up what your status is.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

PageMaster posted:

Would they also cover accessibility helping peripherals? Bottom line is I love j gaming and been a giant fan my whole life, and besides playingwith my kids and brothers, it's my escape and let's me just zone out and stop thinking and stressingabout my diagnosis/prognosis and treatment for at least a little bit and fight my depression and anger unfortunately my condition has finally progressed such thatI don't have control orfeeling of my left arm and leg.

StackUp is a non profit focused on using gaming to help prevent Veteran suicide. They have a program called 'Supply Crates' that may be worth a shot. A general outreach to discuss your story, disability, and accessibility needs for gaming could be a good start!

https://www.stackup.org/supply-crates
https://www.stackup.org/contact

Also consider requesting a consultation from your VA primary care team to see a Recreational Therapist to discuss your hobbies (including gaming) and ways to get involved through adaptive / accessibility tools, such as peripherals for gaming.

Queer Grenadier fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 4, 2024

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
[quote="Queer Grenadier" post="537588414"]
StackUp is a non profit focused on using gaming to help prevent Veteran suicide. They have a program called 'Supply Crates' that may be worth a shot. A general outreach to discuss your story, disability, and accessibility needs for gaming could be a good start!

https://www.stackup.org/supply-crates
https://www.stackup.org/contact

Also consider requesting a consultation from your VA primary care team to see a Recreational Therapist to discuss your hobbies (including gaming) and ways to get involved through adaptive / accessibility tools, such as peripherals for gamin

Thanks, this is great! I didn't even knowthere was a recreational therapist specialty, we've been stuck bouncing between OT and PT because they keep denying referrals for some reason so we finally just went with our Tricare to get some care because I got sick of waiting and talking to the same couple offices back and forth without accomplishing anything, but I can look into RTherapists as well now.

Thanks to everyone else she t the other responses she's ideas above as well (I didn't check in enough to respond to everyone individually, sorry!).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hi all! I think this may be a good place to ask! I am trying to file for disability compensation. The form 21-526EZ implies I need to be treated at a VA facility. I was treated while in the military, but not by the VA.

I have been trying to set up an appointment, and have called many national and local VA and VA/medical phone numbers, but they all act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. This is really frustrating and a little surprising, since this seems like it should be a routine request. Where would you start? Thank you!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Dominoes posted:

Hi all! I think this may be a good place to ask! I am trying to file for disability compensation. The form 21-526EZ implies I need to be treated at a VA facility. I was treated while in the military, but not by the VA.

I have been trying to set up an appointment, and have called many national and local VA and VA/medical phone numbers, but they all act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. This is really frustrating and a little surprising, since this seems like it should be a routine request. Where would you start? Thank you!

I recommend talking to a DAV representative, they will help you with your case and tell you what info to provide. If the VA tries any shenanigans, they will represent you and file paperwork and appeals on your behalf.

https://www.dav.org/

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MancXVI posted:

I recommend talking to a DAV representative, they will help you with your case and tell you what info to provide. If the VA tries any shenanigans, they will represent you and file paperwork and appeals on your behalf.

Yeah 100% use the Disabled American Veterans or other VSO to help you with your claim. They’ve got people who do this all the time and are way more familiar with the process than you will ever be. There is no reason not to get help. It costs you nothing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I have 28 months of gi bill eligibility.

I want to change tracks and go IT- specifically cloud stuff. $900 a month for BAH for online kinda blows. If I take a local community college class in something using GI bill, while doing full time online at a separate school can I get in person BAH?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hekk posted:

Yeah 100% use the Disabled American Veterans or other VSO to help you with your claim. They’ve got people who do this all the time and are way more familiar with the process than you will ever be. There is no reason not to get help. It costs you nothing.

So I just had my TAPs class (2 years left until 20!)and they mentioned the same thing.

In the process I stumbled across the Reddit subforum for veteran benefits and there’s a bunch of people saying they did it all themselves and without any help.

Seems like it’s destined for failure to not use a VSO.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

nwin posted:

So I just had my TAPs class (2 years left until 20!)and they mentioned the same thing.

In the process I stumbled across the Reddit subforum for veteran benefits and there’s a bunch of people saying they did it all themselves and without any help.

Seems like it’s destined for failure to not use a VSO.

Free choice and all I guess. There’s no way I’d have gone that route but it’s an option that exists.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

I have 28 months of gi bill eligibility.

I want to change tracks and go IT- specifically cloud stuff. $900 a month for BAH for online kinda blows. If I take a local community college class in something using GI bill, while doing full time online at a separate school can I get in person BAH?

I dont believe so. You would have to do one program, full time, with at least 1 in person class. Though maybe if you can prove that the second online program will full-fill first in person programs requirements.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Meshka posted:

I dont believe so. You would have to do one program, full time, with at least 1 in person class. Though maybe if you can prove that the second online program will full-fill first in person programs requirements.

That’s kind of what I figured but it was worth a shot.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

MancXVI posted:

Hekk posted:

Ty for the tip on DAV!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

That’s kind of what I figured but it was worth a shot.

I think the trick to doing what you want is to find a community college that serves as a feeder for a larger educational institution that has online courses. Most large academic institutions have some type of feeder program that should allow you to attend in-person courses locally while also taking online courses that go towards your degree plan.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So back in September, a buddy of mine and I decided that since we were both 40+ years old, we might as well try this Veteran's Disability thing.

He got his decision back in February with 70%, and he's gonna try and appeal some back stuff.

Mine was a much longer process. I claimed a LOT of poo poo that's been nagging and haggarding me. Felt like I should be peeing green with all the x-rays they took of me.

Decided to check the VA.gov to see what's going on with the document filings that's been consistent but slow.

It says the "Benefit Payments" is the 22 hundred mark, and according to basic monthly rates that amount is the rate of 90%.

I'm very cynical and am waiting for the other shoe to drop, but the claim progression thing on the site says it's at "Preparation for notification".

Am I reading it right? Is 90% what I'm probably looking at? Because I'll f'ing take it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yes, $2,241.91 is the basic monthly rate for 90% disability.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Congrats! 🎉🍾

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
You're so close to 100 percent that it may be worth hiring a law firm who specializes in that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Ty for the tip on DAV!

I'm not going to dissuade you from using DAV in any way whatsoever, but just an FYI, when I went through them, they did nothing for me, other than open the initial VA claim, which I could have easily done. Hopefully, they do better by you, but if not, here's what I did to facilitate things:

1. I had a copy of my medical record from when I discharged, so I scanned it and pulled the pertinent pages.
2. Documented EVERYTHING that was related to my claim - can't squat down, difficult to walk, spasms on a almost daily basis. Be very concise and write everything down, because the C&P is going to ask how your injury(s) affect your daily life.
3. Be prepared to explain in detail the event that led to your injury. There has to be a clear line from service to now - it's especially helpful if the event was documented in your records, but that often doesn't happen. I had a fall where I hosed my back up documented as "Back Pain."
4. If you have supporting evidence from a civilian doctor, send that in as well - I had MRIs that I submitted as part of my claim. They may or may not have helped, but they certainly didn't hurt.
5. When you do your C&P, just be truthful and try to answer as clearly and succinctly as possible - I hate to put it this way, but you're essentially on trial, and anything you say can and will be used against you. Don't embellish or go off on a tangent. Also, don't stress out.
6. A lot of joint stuff is based on range of movement (ROM). Your knees can be totally hosed up and hurt you 24 hours a day, but if you can bend them within the specified range, you might get denied.
7. If your claim doesn't go through, you can appeal!

And, to give you (and others) some hope, I went in pretty much clueless and came out with a 70% rating.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Evil SpongeBob posted:

You're so close to 100 percent that it may be worth hiring a law firm who specializes in that.

VA math makes getting from 90% to 100% a lot fuzzier though. Adding a bunch of 10% and 20% rated disabilities will barely move the needle since each new thing rated is only rated against the percentage of 100% remaining. So if they are already rated at 90% adding another thing that’d give a 10% rating would only result in an actual increase to 91%.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If it's possible to get with a VSO to review your decision letter that would be pretty helfpul to determine where the VA may have granted something but rated it as less than what your symptoms warrant, or possibly dropped the ball altogether. I've had good experiences with VERA phone appointments for getting my questions answered, and you can choose any region in the country for your appointment (i.e. google who doesn't suck). My decision letter reads like the rater legit didn't even read all the evidence (i.e. stating I have no current diagnosis when I'd submitted physicians notes that included a very recent diagnosis), so pinging VERA really helped me understand what was up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

If it's possible to get with a VSO to review your decision letter that would be pretty helfpul to determine where the VA may have granted something but rated it as less than what your symptoms warrant, or possibly dropped the ball altogether.

lol sounds like my vertigo.

It was originally rated at 0% with a note saying "for 10% you must experience occasional dizziness."

... motherfucker, isn't' that what vertigo is??

So I filed for an increase. I looked up the rule for 30% and it's "occasional staggering," and when my vertigo hits I have to sit down or brace on something, so I'd say that qualifies.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not going to dissuade you from using DAV in any way whatsoever, but just an FYI, when I went through them, they did nothing for me, other than open the initial VA claim, which I could have easily done. Hopefully, they do better by you, but if not, here's what I did to facilitate things:

1. I had a copy of my medical record from when I discharged, so I scanned it and pulled the pertinent pages.
2. Documented EVERYTHING that was related to my claim - can't squat down, difficult to walk, spasms on a almost daily basis. Be very concise and write everything down, because the C&P is going to ask how your injury(s) affect your daily life.
3. Be prepared to explain in detail the event that led to your injury. There has to be a clear line from service to now - it's especially helpful if the event was documented in your records, but that often doesn't happen. I had a fall where I hosed my back up documented as "Back Pain."
4. If you have supporting evidence from a civilian doctor, send that in as well - I had MRIs that I submitted as part of my claim. They may or may not have helped, but they certainly didn't hurt.
5. When you do your C&P, just be truthful and try to answer as clearly and succinctly as possible - I hate to put it this way, but you're essentially on trial, and anything you say can and will be used against you. Don't embellish or go off on a tangent. Also, don't stress out.
6. A lot of joint stuff is based on range of movement (ROM). Your knees can be totally hosed up and hurt you 24 hours a day, but if you can bend them within the specified range, you might get denied.
7. If your claim doesn't go through, you can appeal!

And, to give you (and others) some hope, I went in pretty much clueless and came out with a 70% rating.

Yo! I couldn't figure out the Dav thing. I submitted some paperwork, and now they send me mail every week or so with ambiguous messages. Also, they signed up me to see a doctor who asked me some questions and typed things in a computer. She was very nice!

I am hoping if I can get a few %s, I can get a SDVOSB.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/23pdf/22-888_1b8e.pdf

I don't know exactly how this is going to work, but those of us with multiple periods of service where we qualify for both MGIB and post-9/11 are now eligible to use either of them up to 48 months of total benefits. Based upon my reading, those who have exhausted post-9/11 but also qualify for MGIB should have another year of benefits.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know exactly how this is going to work, but those of us with multiple periods of service where we qualify for both MGIB and post-9/11 are now eligible to use either of them up to 48 months of total benefits. Based upon my reading, those who have exhausted post-9/11 but also qualify for MGIB should have another year of benefits.

So I'm not a lawyer, and I really don't know how to read a SCOTUS brief..

I have 11 months of post 9/11 GI Bill remaining, and never used any of my MGIB benefits but I did pay in my $1200 my first year of service..

Does this mean instead of 11 months of benefits left I actually have 23 months of benefits left?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hmm, any idea how this interacts with Voc Rehab?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So I'm not a lawyer, and I really don't know how to read a SCOTUS brief..

I have 11 months of post 9/11 GI Bill remaining, and never used any of my MGIB benefits but I did pay in my $1200 my first year of service..

Does this mean instead of 11 months of benefits left I actually have 23 months of benefits left?

The key thing here seems to be multiple periods of service. Did you ever re-enlist? If so, as long as both periods can independently qualify for either benefit, then you're good. How this gets implemented is still up in the air. They may require two periods of service for the dual eligibility. Without multiple periods of service, I can't say for sure.

Here's an couple of situations on how I read the ruling (Ch 30 = MGIB and 33 = post 9/11):
Person A enlists, pays $1200, serves entire contract before 9/11. Only eligible for ch 30.
Person B enlists, does not pay $1200, serves 3 years post 9/11. Only eligible for ch 33.
Person C enlists, pays $1200, serves 3 years of contract post 9/11, but gets out after initial contract with no re-up. Eligible for both chapters 30 and 33, but with only one period of service must elect which to use.
Person D enlists, pays $1200, serves 3 years of contract, either re-enlists or commissions, serves three years post-9/11. Eligible for Ch 30 via first period and Ch 33 for second period. Gets 48 months of benefits split between MGIB and Post 9/11.

If you think you fit the mold of person D and have exhausted ch 33 benefits, you can apply for MGIB and break up your periods of service to indicate which qualifies for which. Again, I can't say how the VA will implement this, but we should have guidance soon.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Can't say. I think voc rehab is completely separate from ch 30 and 33 benefits, and the court case didn't discuss that interaction.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I asked for GLP-1 diet shots like 9 months ago and they told me there were availability issues (VA speak for expensive) at the time, they put me on MOVE Telehealth (online fat camp) I did that every day for like 6 months until the program ran out of content, then they said "OK now we can give you a MOVE medication appointment... it's 3 months from now".

I finally get the appointment today and the doctor says "Well you meet all the inclusion criteria but there's still shortages. We can only give it to people who are over 50 BMI. Would you like some speed pills instead?"

It's like, what the gently caress, I can see vets on Reddit who got it months ago going "yeah, you just have to complain more". But the doc was stonewalling me saying "hey not my decision, hands are tied".

Meanwhile I have a family member who got put on it with the free state health care and proceeded to lose 60 pounds over this time span, no side-effects just feels full. I'm trying to tell these fuckers, it would be cheaper to just gimme the drat stuff, than deal with me having diabeetus a year from now. They seem unswayed.

Any ideas or should I just pull a Homer and eat play-doh until I'm gigafat?

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't know how that particular bit interacts, but one interaction I didn't know and hosed up, is that my Post-9/11 bill expired while I was on Voc Rehab, they said "you can still go, you just only get 1/3rd of the housing stipend". So I kept going and with the covid remote school thing over, I took one physical class.

Then my VA rep says "uhh you know if you're just on the lower voc rehab payment, you don't need to take an in-person class right? that's just for the GI Bill". So I was driving a 300-mile weekly round trip this semester for loving nothing.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Not not sure if this belongshere, but I didn't find a wheelchair thread, and it's still VA related; VA just sent me my powered wheelchair (Igotthe pride jazzy) and looking at website and the VA rep who evaluated me transfer is supposed to be 9 miles. Anyone actually or one of these VA issues chair to the treat? Add exciting add riding over of these 5 miles over easy would be. Is he when less exciting to be stick without charge 5 miles away from him. Are these realistic numbers or things that are only chirvable in lab settings discounting air resistance and assuming completely perfect conditions only?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 17, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PageMaster posted:

Not not sure if this belongshere, but I didn't find a wheelchair thread, and it's still VA related; VA just sent me my powered wheelchair (Igotthe pride jazzy) and looking at website and the VA rep who evaluated me transfer is supposed to be 9 miles. Anyone actually or one of these VA issues chair to the treat? Add exciting add riding over of these 5 miles over easy would be. Is he when less exciting to be stick without charge 5 miles away from him. Are these realistic numbers or things that are only chirvable in lab settings discounting air resistance and assuming completely perfect conditions only?

Wind resistance is not a factor at the speeds a wheelchair goes. Wind resistance doubles roughly every 10mph, so at the 4-5mph these claim the aero drag is negligible even when you're sitting mostly upright.

The things that affect range are going to be:

- rolling resistance (how pumped up the tires are, if they are pneumatic)

- the total weight with you in it

- if your area is hilly (I don't think wheelchairs have regenerative braking, so you use extra energy uphill which you don't reclaim when you're braking while descending)

[edit: it says a bunch of Jazzy models DO have regen braking! interesting since some with regen still use lead-acid batteries, that's a rare combination but not unheard of, turn of the millenium EV cars did this. Regen going down a hill can recover half the energy you used to climb it, in ideal conditions. If you brake too suddenly it will failover to physical brakes which don't recoup energy]

- the climate (below-freezing climates reduce usable battery energy somewhat, mostly by hindering charging from regen braking)

If there is still a lot of extra weight capacity with you on the wheelchair, you could add more batteries (same capacity and chemistry) in parallel.

In other words, and this is just an example, I see one website that claims a certain model of the Pride Jazzy uses a U1 tractor battery, which are found at Home Depot for $55 each: https://www.homedepot.com/p/TITAN-12-Volt-U1-Tractor-Battery-U1-1T/300791097

If that is for sure the battery your wheelchair accepts, you ensure the rated amp-hour capacity is a match, and you could find a stable and safe way to secure an additional battery, you could wire that extra battery and the original battery negative-to-negative and positive-to-positive, they would balance the charge between each other and you'd effectively have twice the time to charge and twice the time to drive. Your range might even be slightly more than doubled, because of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law

12V is generally safe to handle, but not if you drop a metal tool across both battery terminals or otherwise short something, so get assistance from a pro if you need to make modifications.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 18, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

To give an update on the Rudisill matter, I put in an application and requested certification from my school. The certifying official, who had not yet heard of the case, denied my claim. I told her about the SCOTUS decision and said I was just trying to get out early and would wait to reapply. She just responded saying that they don't know when they'll get formal guidance, but they're submitting my claim for the VA to resolve. We'll see how it goes!

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 18, 2024

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Wind resistance is not a factor at the speeds a wheelchair goes. Wind resistance doubles roughly every 10mph, so at the 4-5mph these claim the aero drag is negligible even when you're sitting mostly upright.

The things that affect range are going to be:

- rolling resistance (how pumped up the tires are, if they are pneumatic)

- the total weight with you in it

- if your area is hilly (I don't think wheelchairs have regenerative braking, so you use extra energy uphill which you don't reclaim when you're braking while descending)

[edit: it says a bunch of Jazzy models DO have regen braking! interesting since some with regen still use lead-acid batteries, that's a rare combination but not unheard of, turn of the millenium EV cars did this. Regen going down a hill can recover half the energy you used to climb it, in ideal conditions. If you brake too suddenly it will failover to physical brakes which don't recoup energy]

- the climate (below-freezing climates reduce usable battery energy somewhat, mostly by hindering charging from regen braking)

If there is still a lot of extra weight capacity with you on the wheelchair, you could add more batteries (same capacity and chemistry) in parallel.

In other words, and this is just an example, I see one website that claims a certain model of the Pride Jazzy uses a U1 tractor battery, which are found at Home Depot for $55 each: https://www.homedepot.com/p/TITAN-12-Volt-U1-Tractor-Battery-U1-1T/300791097

If that is for sure the battery your wheelchair accepts, you ensure the rated amp-hour capacity is a match, and you could find a stable and safe way to secure an additional battery, you could wire that extra battery and the original battery negative-to-negative and positive-to-positive, they would balance the charge between each other and you'd effectively have twice the time to charge and twice the time to drive. Your range might even be slightly more than doubled, because of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law

12V is generally safe to handle, but not if you drop a metal tool across both battery t
Oh wow thanks for all this. I don't think I'm ready to try adding extra batteriesi can look at the actual nebatterieswhen I get it though, the VA evaluator also told me lithium ion ion that slide out on rails(something about lead acid netwand checking, getting on a flight?) tho actually I thought it was lithium ION that you have to carry on and cannot check it looks like the original before are just thrse eliminated slide out one so I will definitely go with a pro like your said above

I'm assuming lithium ION bridge with it the same concerned with charging as other electronics to prevent shortening the life of the better as well?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 18, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PageMaster posted:

Oh wow thanks for all this. I don't think I'm ready to try adding extra batteriesi can look at the actual nebatterieswhen I get it though, the VA evaluator also told me lithium ion ion that slide out on rails(something about lead acid netwand checking, getting on a flight?) tho actually I thought it was lithium ION that you have to carry on and cannot check it looks like the original before are just thrse eliminated slide out one so I will definitely go with a pro like your said above

I'm assuming lithium ION bridge with it the same concerned with charging as other electronics to prevent shortening the life of the better as well?

Li-ion has more energy for much less weight (lead is one of the densest metals while lithium is one of the lightest), and for airplane flights it is easier to check in because it weighs less. Also when those "hoverboards" were spontaneously catching fire, the FAA updated their lithium guidelines: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

Since the battery is installed in the wheelchair, it should be fine for both check in and carry-on (I'm sure such a large wheelchair company would have worked with the FAA to get preapproval for this common use-case).

Li-ion with regards to charging care, the on-board charger checks the voltage as the battery charges and slows it down as it becomes closer to full. It's like how if someone pours a glass of water they slow down near the top to avoid overfilling. So you don't have anything to worry about there. The only thing to watch out for is that if you're using it for an extended time in below-freezing temps outside, wait a bit for it to warm up indoors before charging it. Some charging electronics will try to charge lithium when it is below freezing, which can permanently reduce the battery capacity (less range). Leaving the battery at 50% for long periods of storage can help prevent accelerated ageing too, but there's probably not an issue charging it to 100% each day (because the electronics don't really charge or drain the battery to the true limits of the chemistry, they leave 10% or so on each end to extend the useful lifetime. They push the limit closer on phones because they know people replace phones more often than vehicles).

If you let me know the exact model number of the version you're being offered I could tell you more precisely. They might have an official extended battery, or at least I could find the part number of the same battery. For all I know it might be placed in a spot where you could swap a spare while sitting in it.

First thing to do when you get it is to do laps around your house and measure the real-world range until the battery totally runs out, and have someone on standby to help you out. I always recommend people with any electric vehicle check to see what happens in a low state of battery (some cut out suddenly and can/can't be turned back on, some give an audio or display warning, some go into a slower "limp-mode" to try to save enough energy for you to get to a safe spot), it's always a good idea to learn and test every bit of the tech we rely on.

edit: also the VA and some federal and non-profits have grants to help buy wheelchair-lift vans or outfit an existing vehicle. You should ask your rep about that too, they might be able to at least slap a wheelchair lift on a family member or caretaker's SUV so you have more options

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 18, 2024

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Nevermind

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not going to dissuade you from using DAV in any way whatsoever, but just an FYI, when I went through them, they did nothing for me, other than open the initial VA claim, which I could have easily done.

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience. The guy filled out the paperwork, mostly correct. I had to fix a bunch of stuff before it got sent in though. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about appealing, since apparently the VA decided my ears are fine. FYI a kidney stone surgery every 1-2 years is 0%.