Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Got a letter recently that I'm eligible to enroll directly in VA healthcare due to the PACT Act. Letter says once I sign up I have it for life, and that "signing up for VA healthcare will not impact your ability to contine seeing your current providers using your current insurance." I already have insurance (with premiums covered by my job). Is there any downside to signing up for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Eason the Fifth posted:

Got a letter recently that I'm eligible to enroll directly in VA healthcare due to the PACT Act. Letter says once I sign up I have it for life, and that "signing up for VA healthcare will not impact your ability to contine seeing your current providers using your current insurance." I already have insurance (with premiums covered by my job). Is there any downside to signing up for this?

No, I have both VA healthcare and TriCare Select as a retiree. It just means your name is in the VA’s system and you can choose to go there for things if you like.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I’ve been going against my own advice and enrolled with the VA just so I could see a therapist. There was over an 8 month wait using my TRICare and the VA got me a therapist in a few weeks.

This therapist may not be the best but it beats talking to my dogs and crying while I drink a fifth of bourbon and chain smoke.

I withdraw my opinion that the VA is the worst and never use them. My new stance is: The VA is the worst, but can be better than nothing.

Sign up. Even if you never use it, just having your name in the system means you can “quickly” use VA health services after that. They offer some things that are actually really good and if you don’t have TRICare like me and Hekk they beat dying under a bridge.

I no longer believe the VA will give you HIV but I will never not poo poo on the VA as an organization.

‘Grats on the sweet job with the sweet benefits though brother. Sounds like you are living your best life and that’s awesome.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, it's a pretty okay job, gov contracting, so it's full of bullshit sometimes, and the pay isn't super great, but I've been sticking around because covering those premiums is a hell of a deal.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Eason the Fifth posted:

No downside. Do it even if you don't use it. Once you're in, you're in. If you ever lose your insurance or if you find that insurance won't cover something, you have a backup for life.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Ohio Residents: the window to apply for the bonus for serving during the Afghanistan Conflict ends August 2024.

Here is the link to the eligibility tool/application:
https://dvs.ohio.gov/resources-for-veterans/veterans-bonus

quote:

Eligibility Criteria
A person who served or is serving in the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty for greater than 90 days, not for training purposes only; and served during compensable period (Oct 7, 2001 - August 30, 2021) may be eligible for the Ohio Veterans Bonus.

Served or currently serving with the U.S. Armed Forces October 7, 2001 through August 30, 2021.

The person was separated from the United States armed forces under honorable conditions, is still serving on active duty or after serving on active duty remains in any reserve component of the United States armed forces or in the Ohio National Guard.

The person was an Ohio resident at the start of active duty service.

The person is currently an Ohio resident.

The person has not received a bonus or compensation of a similar nature from another state.

Compensation
Eligibility and compensation for the Ohio Veterans Bonus program is based upon where and when the veteran or service member served during active duty. The following calculations are applied in determining bonus awards:

$100 per month, not to exceed $1,000, for service in Afghanistan during the compensable periods.
$50 per month, not to exceed $500, for service anywhere else in the world during the compensable periods.

Service for a fraction of a month shall be paid at the rate of 1/30 of the appropriate monthly amount for each day of service. Compensation may not exceed $1,500 for combined service.

Also a reminder since government shut down possibly coming: I was working at the VA during a government shut down. The funding for VA is separate and done in advance. The VA will not shut down and employees will still show up because they will still be paid. Please still go to any upcoming appointments you have if there is a government shutdown. :)

Sarah fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 21, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Meds question, since someone here has probably dealt with this - I'm prescribed a scheduled narcotic so there's no refill, shipping, etc. information on the VA site. I requested a refill ten days prior to when I would run out, but I haven't gotten anything from UPS about a scheduled delivery and it's past the VA's general guidance on how long delivery takes. Is there any best practices on handling this? I couldn't find anything on the VA site and I'm wondering if I call the pharmacy or contact my provider or like, what you guys would have done or recommend, TIA

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Call the pharmacy. Generally if I run out of meds (this is non schedule stuff though) I go into the pharmacy and ask for a temporary supply, but this may not be an option for you.

e: I go to a VA pharmacy

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 21, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Called the VA pharmacy help line for my area, and for scheduled drugs they can tell you what you see on my health e-vet and send a request to the pharmacy to contact you with tracking info. So I guess the move on scheduled stuff is ping your provider.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

maffew buildings posted:

Called the VA pharmacy help line for my area, and for scheduled drugs they can tell you what you see on my health e-vet and send a request to the pharmacy to contact you with tracking info. So I guess the move on scheduled stuff is ping your provider.

My pharmacy tries to put a ton of pressure on patients to do refills on the phone or online so they are mailed from the warehouse or whatever... but not with anything requiring a signature for delivery. I always go in person to do a pick up and never mail any drugs that need a signature after I had a delivery stolen by a USPS worker.

Long story short - dude kept putting down that my address doesn't exist when attempting to deliver the obvious envelop of medicine that required a signature. He would have probably gotten away with it too if he didn't scan another box that didn't need a signature and leave it. :dumbbravo:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Somewhere between my provider ordering the meds and the pharmacy there was a breakdown so it just never went through. Ok, so the lesson is if VA dispensed, controlled substance meds don't show up in their usual time frame, talk to the provider because they're the one who can actually tell you what happened and resend the order.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Sarah posted:

Ohio Residents: the window to apply for the bonus for serving during the Afghanistan Conflict ends August 2024.

Here is the link to the eligibility tool/application:
https://dvs.ohio.gov/resources-for-veterans/veterans-bonus

Also a reminder since government shut down possibly coming: I was working at the VA during a government shut down. The funding for VA is separate and done in advance. The VA will not shut down and employees will still show up because they will still be paid. Please still go to any upcoming appointments you have if there is a government shutdown. :)

Good looking out!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sheesh qvc has been trying to book a disability interview with my dad now for 4 months on a a claim that we put in back in April. He wants to do an in-person and apparently he’s like 30 miles outside of their regular range for in-person interview travel reimbursements or something.

Idk, but the state vso is pissed on our behalf and everyone’s bitching at each other.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Being enrolled in the VA also means more funds for VA to serve those who need its services. Do it for your brothers and sisters, and for when you need it someday!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

El Mero Mero posted:

Sheesh qvc has been trying to book a disability interview with my dad now for 4 months on a a claim that we put in back in April. He wants to do an in-person and apparently he’s like 30 miles outside of their regular range for in-person interview travel reimbursements or something.

Idk, but the state vso is pissed on our behalf and everyone’s bitching at each other.

QTC is such a pain in the rear end, and I hate how they give us less than the VA used to for travel. They've tried to get me to drive 3 hours one way before for an 8:00am appointment time and were incredulous when I asked about lodging. The VA would give a hotel room if I had to drive an hour and a half for that type of appointment.

They have the ability to put in a request for local override when they can't find an appointment in the right time/distance range. I just start by asking them to do that anytime I have to deal with them now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is this the best thread for members retiring and looking at careers to transition to? I’m coming up on year 18 and really need to start solidifying my plans.

Edit: gently caress it, :justpost:

99% sure I’ll retire at 20 because I’ll be tour complete. There’s a small chance I stay in for a follow on tour at the same base and make O-5 because it’d be a great resume builder but I’m open.

Most applicable background to the civilian world: I’m largely a finance officer and was an accountant before I enlisted. I’ve got an MBA and a Masters in Finance. I’ve managed and executed $250M annually for about three years for my payback tour. That led me to my current tour where I teach accounting at a service academy. It’s fine and I was going to apply for the permanent commissioned teaching staff, but academia is loving insane (at least here) and my department is not the healthiest to work in. Busiest job I’ve ever had when it has no right to be.

Here’s what I think I want/need:

1) stay in the area (Connecticut)
2) have some option of remote work
3) salary of $90k to be inline with where I’m currently at when you take my pension into account.
4) work life balance: I’ve got a 2 and 5 year old.

I say all of that because here’s what options I know exist:

1) get my CPA while I’m in. Do something with it on the outside.
2) get my CFP. Do something with it.
3) teach.
4) some GS jobs.

With a CPA, I don’t want to do taxes because my work life would go to poo poo. Plus they don’t get paid a ton.

I’m looking into the CFP because I’ve always been interested in investments and helping people out. I don’t want a ‘sales job’ though so I’ve gotta make sure it wouldn’t be in line with that.

With teaching, I’m limited because I don’t have a PhD nor do I’m plan on getting one. I could likely get hired back into my department as a civilian for one year increments making a decent sum ($90k probably) with almost none of the bullshit I deal with currently since I’d be a civilian and not active duty. Teaching is fine and can be rewarding, but it doesn’t allow for remote work much. The place is work small spastic so it’s entirely possible I could get hired for two years in a row and then they say they don’t need me anymore.

GS jobs…eh I could…I mean the navy sub base is right down the road too but I kinda want to see what life is like after the military.

When I tell people I have an MBA and MSF they immediately tell me I have nothing to worry about, but I’m also not some 28 year old kid ready to hit the streets and put in a poo poo ton of hours. So I’m trying to figure out what’s out there and where I could excel. I’m just not sure where to turn yet (recruiters or headhunters maybe? There’s gotta be some military component that would help out with this).

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 12, 2023

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

nwin posted:

Is this the best thread for members retiring and looking at careers to transition to? I’m coming up on year 18 and really need to start solidifying my plans.

Sure

What do you do now? What do you want to do? Do you have a degree that will support your shift into a post mil career? Do you have geographic preferences? Are you looking to cut ties with the MIC entirely? Or maybe you’d prefer to use your mil background to slide into something adjacent that pays well?

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Welcome to USAJobs, I love you.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hekk posted:

Sure

What do you do now? What do you want to do? Do you have a degree that will support your shift into a post mil career? Do you have geographic preferences? Are you looking to cut ties with the MIC entirely? Or maybe you’d prefer to use your mil background to slide into something adjacent that pays well?

Hah yeah I decided to edit my post right after that.

I think my biggest unknown is “what do you want to do”. I know what I want my job to allow me to do (work life balance, chance of remote) but I don’t know specifically what opportunities abound.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

nwin posted:

Hah yeah I decided to edit my post right after that.

I think my biggest unknown is “what do you want to do”. I know what I want my job to allow me to do (work life balance, chance of remote) but I don’t know specifically what opportunities abound.

Yeah I’d say that retiring as an O-5 with multiple masters degrees is headhunter territory if you have strong preferences for geographic location and remote or hybrid opportunities.
There is bound to be a few that are in Connecticut that focus on transitioning career military folks. Using one will remove some of your negotiating leverage because the headhunter is going to get their fee, but honestly, the first post military job you get is going to be the most difficult. Once you’ve got your foot in the door and can list some experience in your new field, any follow on jobs will be significantly easier to land.

It may be worth working with someone on a resume now. When I was going through retirement I kept a very long and detailed master resume that listed anything and everything that might be pertinent to any position I applied for (also double as a USAJOBs resume). Then I’d peel pieces of it off to highlight whatever areas were most applicable to the position I wanted to apply to.

Also, I cannot stress enough how little time most retirees spend in their first post mil job. It’s some absurd stat like 78% of people aren’t with the company that hired them 12 months after starting. I say that to emphasize that sometimes you might pick something that isn’t a perfect fit but it gets you closer to where you want to be. After 20 years in, your capacity to put up with bullshit is way higher than most people. Getting a year’s worth of history in a role that is closer to what you ultimately want to do can help your pivot.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 12, 2023

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I got married. I worked to enroll my wife in as many benefits as she is eligible for. There was a plan pending...

She's had a rough time finding decent work in her field, so I suggested she go to school full time to improve her situation and I will cover it.

She is eligible for spouse benefits, applied for months ago.

VA radio silence.

The two main benes for her are CHAMPVA and C35. The phone lines and websites are useless.

Any insights on how to move these two processes forward?

I know things move slowly, but I think I crossed something up.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Booger Presley posted:

The two main benes for her are CHAMPVA and C35. The phone lines and websites are useless.

Any insights on how to move these two processes forward?
I know things move slowly, but I think I crossed something up.

My daughter used my Ch 35 and I ran into the same delays. I ended up reaching out to my congressional aide and the claim was found and processed in a week.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
loving damnit, every time I go into the VA lately they're all like "HEY HAVE YOU BEEN EXPOSED TO BURN PITS?!" and I'm like "well yeah but not from that list of Middle Eastern countries" and they're like "Oh well too bad then!"

Now I see a page that specifically mentions Waste Incinerators in Japan, which is what I was doing constantly, taking heaps of plastic crypto stuff to be torched.

Oh yeah, and they diagnosed me with asthma a few years back and prescribed me an inhaler. I cough like all day every day for no reason.

Has anyone here had experience in filing for the burn pit thing outside of the Middle East zones?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I've filed for it but have not gotten any decision, or any C&P exams, or really any communication from the VA since I put my claim in*. I deployed to Timor-Leste, where they burn trash outside and everywhere, got buddy letters from a couple of the guys/my OIC and my VA PCP put chronic sinusitis in my file, so I'll let you know when I get it sorted.

*They forgot the last page of my claim and when I called to have that updated they notated a form had been submitted about this, but then they removed that notice, and also still haven't included the missing page. Wow, the VA.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zero VGS posted:

loving damnit, every time I go into the VA lately they're all like "HEY HAVE YOU BEEN EXPOSED TO BURN PITS?!" and I'm like "well yeah but not from that list of Middle Eastern countries" and they're like "Oh well too bad then!"

Now I see a page that specifically mentions Waste Incinerators in Japan, which is what I was doing constantly, taking heaps of plastic crypto stuff to be torched.

Oh yeah, and they diagnosed me with asthma a few years back and prescribed me an inhaler. I cough like all day every day for no reason.

Has anyone here had experience in filing for the burn pit thing outside of the Middle East zones?

Yes. It's pretty simple to file a PACT act claim. I filed my rhinitis and sinusitis claims myself. The first I got instantly while the latter took an appeal because of a fuckup on the VA's end. It will take months to a year to get everything finalized, but PACT claims on their own are pretty simple.

The decision process is: if you served in covered area (which is pretty broad net) and were formally diagnosed with a PACT act issue (asthma is 100% one) within 10 years of discharge, then you are service connected. From there they rate your particular disability. Find you a local VSO if you're not comfortable with filling out the claim information yourself but still put in an intent to file.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

I've filed for it but have not gotten any decision, or any C&P exams, or really any communication from the VA since I put my claim in*. I deployed to Timor-Leste, where they burn trash outside and everywhere, got buddy letters from a couple of the guys/my OIC and my VA PCP put chronic sinusitis in my file, so I'll let you know when I get it sorted.

*They forgot the last page of my claim and when I called to have that updated they notated a form had been submitted about this, but then they removed that notice, and also still haven't included the missing page. Wow, the VA.

Don't worry. You'll soon get to deal with QTC as well.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I don't know what that acronym means. That is, surely, a good sign.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I requested an appointment on myhealthevet for my closest VA clinic (Edmonds) for today and never received a phone call from the clinic to schedule an appointment. Online it shows my request as "pending" still.

I'd really like to start physical therapy again because my back has been bothering me a lot lately.

In the past when I call the number to request an appointment they always want to send me to the American Lake VA campus because the Seattle one is "full". I think it's ridiculous that they expect me to have a hospital that's over an hour away as my primary location.

Is there a better way to schedule an appointment or change my primary care location? I'd love to go to the Edmonds clinic because it's like 15 minutes tops from my apartment.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Mustang posted:

I requested an appointment on myhealthevet for my closest VA clinic (Edmonds) for today and never received a phone call from the clinic to schedule an appointment. Online it shows my request as "pending" still.

I'd really like to start physical therapy again because my back has been bothering me a lot lately.

In the past when I call the number to request an appointment they always want to send me to the American Lake VA campus because the Seattle one is "full". I think it's ridiculous that they expect me to have a hospital that's over an hour away as my primary location.

Is there a better way to schedule an appointment or change my primary care location? I'd love to go to the Edmonds clinic because it's like 15 minutes tops from my apartment.

Request a community care referral, I think you should be eligible based on that travel time/distance.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Oh boy, QTC called me to schedule some appointments for my disability claim, but the VA hasn't gotten them my medical file yet. The nice agent said if the VA doesn't send that over then they kick the whole thing back, and while I don't know what their time frame on that is since they didn't tell me, I sure would like to avoid it. Has anyone had this occur with their claim before? My best idea is call the VA tomorrow and say "Hi, please send my medical file to them"; if anyone has experience with this and feedback it would be appreciated.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

Oh boy, QTC called me to schedule some appointments for my disability claim, but the VA hasn't gotten them my medical file yet. The nice agent said if the VA doesn't send that over then they kick the whole thing back, and while I don't know what their time frame on that is since they didn't tell me, I sure would like to avoid it. Has anyone had this occur with their claim before? My best idea is call the VA tomorrow and say "Hi, please send my medical file to them"; if anyone has experience with this and feedback it would be appreciated.

The only good news I have is that this will eventually get sorted and you'll get backpay to the date you put in your intent to file or filed your claim if you didn't put in an intent to file.

QTC is a pain in the rear end, in my opinion. They'll call you with an automated message telling you to call them for your appointment, and then you sit on hold for half an hour to talk to a person.

I have had claims where I got appointment notifications, called them, and was told my claim wasn't developed yet because they didn't have all the records. They told me it was typical, and then they had everything a week later so we proceeded. There is still a lot of hurry up and wait yet to go for you, but you're nearing the end. All of your records should be electronic, and sometimes it just takes a bit to get to your processing in the queue as someone individual certainly has to press the button to send over your files.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only good news I have is that this will eventually get sorted and you'll get backpay to the date you put in your intent to file or filed your claim if you didn't put in an intent to file.

QTC is a pain in the rear end, in my opinion. They'll call you with an automated message telling you to call them for your appointment, and then you sit on hold for half an hour to talk to a person.

I have had claims where I got appointment notifications, called them, and was told my claim wasn't developed yet because they didn't have all the records. They told me it was typical, and then they had everything a week later so we proceeded. There is still a lot of hurry up and wait yet to go for you, but you're nearing the end. All of your records should be electronic, and sometimes it just takes a bit to get to your processing in the queue as someone individual certainly has to press the button to send over your files.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected and why do I need the forums to get a hold of you give me a call already :catstare:

Joking aside appreciate the confirm on this being a thing and not a red flag re: the files, that was the main concern. Edit: got second robot call yesterday after having called in morning and been told "no files" then the lady told me "yeah it just calls you, nothing changed". I only had to wait 25 minutes, though

edit edit: Appointments schedule and my intent to file is from October 2022, so good to go. Well, some appointments scheduled, now to wait for the bones and brain and bladder ones. Very glad my medical and mental health team decided they shouldn't document those things.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 1, 2023

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Hey all, looking for advice:

I am currently in an appeal for an increase in my mental health rating (30%) due to multiple issues in my life and coming up with a late diagnose PTSD assessment (and getting told I can't combine it/replace it etc). Long story short, in working with the DAV with my appeals, they triggered a TDIU form to be sent to me since my combined total is 70% ( I also have a physical rating). I called my rep (DAV) but the guy was terse and kinda unhelpful overall, so I thought I might ask here.

Looking for some advice on how to fill this out to be most helpful to me? Last "long term job" I got fired from in 2019, I've had like 2 other jobs that gave out w2s (they were temp jobs, too physical for me to continue) since then but I've just been riding my GI bill for money since I've been fighting my appeal and stuff (I am in my last semester).

Open to DMs as well, thanks in advance.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

feverish and oversexed posted:

Hey all, looking for advice:

I am currently in an appeal for an increase in my mental health rating (30%) due to multiple issues in my life and coming up with a late diagnose PTSD assessment (and getting told I can't combine it/replace it etc). Long story short, in working with the DAV with my appeals, they triggered a TDIU form to be sent to me since my combined total is 70% ( I also have a physical rating). I called my rep (DAV) but the guy was terse and kinda unhelpful overall, so I thought I might ask here.

Looking for some advice on how to fill this out to be most helpful to me? Last "long term job" I got fired from in 2019, I've had like 2 other jobs that gave out w2s (they were temp jobs, too physical for me to continue) since then but I've just been riding my GI bill for money since I've been fighting my appeal and stuff (I am in my last semester).

Open to DMs as well, thanks in advance.

I've never filled out a TDIU form, but I have a good friend and fellow GIP'er that gets TDIU, and he might be able to help you.

He doesn't post here anymore because reasons but I bet he'd be willing to PM you if he's willing to help.

Keep an eye on your PM's, no promises but I'm calling him tomorrow morning to talk poo poo anyway.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I've never filled out a TDIU form, but I have a good friend and fellow GIP'er that gets TDIU, and he might be able to help you.

He doesn't post here anymore because reasons but I bet he'd be willing to PM you if he's willing to help.

Keep an eye on your PM's, no promises but I'm calling him tomorrow morning to talk poo poo anyway.

Thanks I appreciate it, I have questions like "should I even put temporary jobs on here" and "do I put things if they were so many years ago...." "Do I bother with the tinnitus or just focus on my other physical", "should I fill out these forms asking the temp jobs to give the VA information"
"Does being in the GI Bill disqualify me or anything "

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the actual reality of CBD while on dod and VA disability pension? Currentlyon cancer treatment, and ive read it to be effective for others' nausea, pain, anxiety,and irritability, mood swings, which sounds great compared to the 7 different medications being offered to me right now, but I'm not sure of the legalities and risks as far as affecting benefits. Ironically it would just be better if the VA would prescribe it to me so then I'd at least know how to take it, dosage, types,etc. It is legal in my state, but I'm not sure I want to blindly walk into a dispensary and just say please give me a serving of your finest CbD please eand thanks. (I know absolutely nothing about this and would've even know what I'm looking for)

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 4, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PageMaster posted:

What's the actual reality of CBD while on dod and VA disability pension? Currentlyon cancer treatment, and ive read it to be effective for others' nausea, pain, anxiety,and irritability, mood swings, which sounds great compared to the 7 different medications being offered to me right now, but I'm not sure of the legalities and risks as far as affecting benefits. Ironically it would just be better if the VA would prescribe it to me so then I'd at least know how to take it, dosage, types,etc. It is legal in my state, but I'm not sure I want to blindly walk into a dispensary and just say please give me a serving of your finest CbD please eand thanks. (I know absolutely nothing about this and would've even know what I'm looking for)

Sorry about your cancer. Smoking weed doesn't affect your benefits (unless you go to jail from it somehow, in which case benefits are paused if you're in jail long-term), so CBD won't affect them either. The VA will not prescribe you either of them as the FDA doesn't approve either for medical use.

If it makes you feel any better, the touted CBD benefits are likely just a placebo effect. I've never had CBD (or weed) but I mean, if you're going to bother maybe just skip to weed since it actually does something.

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/marijuana.asp

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Marijuana is cool and good, I and if it doesn’t affected disability or pensions I’d know.

Your good

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Sorry about your cancer. Smoking weed doesn't affect your benefits (unless you go to jail from it somehow, in which case benefits are paused if you're in jail long-term), so CBD won't affect them either. The VA will not prescribe you either of them as the FDA doesn't approve either for medical use.

If it makes you feel any better, the touted CBD benefits are likely just a placebo effect. I've never had CBD (or weed) but I mean, if you're going to bother maybe just skip to weed since it actually does something.

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/marijuana.asp

Thanks! I've never had it either so I can't say what it would do, but again I'm so uneducated on the subject I didn't know weed was different from CBD, I just lump weed, marijuana, CBD, and THC as the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PageMaster posted:

I collect both 100% disability and my military retirement and have a medical marijuana card. I will echo the advice about skipping CBD and going right to THC if you live somewhere it’s legal or you have a medical card program. There are edibles and tinctures that let you ingest the medicine if you don’t want all of the hassle around smoking flower.

Just start low and slow and see what it does for you. After the initial tolerance build up, microdosing small amounts of THC gives me all of the pain relief without all of the psychotropic effects. Mostly just calm and relaxed for the evening.

If you go the medical card route, the dispensary will almost always have a cannabis 101 class they’ll teach you all of the stuff you need to start out.