Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
What if you take the full BAH? Because VR&E has a different BAH setup for those that either don't want or can't use the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

What if you take the full BAH? Because VR&E has a different BAH setup for those that either don't want or can't use the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

I get what you're saying, I'll be sure to ask about that too. The counselor didn't qualify the statement any further so I would guess it doesn't matter.

Aside from this, is there a reason a person wouldn't opt for the post-9/11 housing allowance when they have the option?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Not that I can think of.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'll be back with more info and leads Wednesday.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress if that's true i need to get on vocrehab asap

i need a masters for my chosen career field and i'm damned sure 36 months of post 9/11 isn't going to cut it.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I can't find anything saying this new rule exists. Anyone else have any luck?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I'm getting ready to separate in May after 8 years of active duty. During this time I have developed some serious pains in my foot and have received treatment and also twice received prescription orthotics. Basically my foot is seriously hosed up from 8 years of sea duty walking around on steel decks in boots. I am currently on deployment and unable to see a podiatrist until January.

Do I stand a chance to receive some kind of benefit for my foot? If so what do I need to do document this?

Also those who have hearing loss what is the process like at the VA?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm getting ready to separate in May after 8 years of active duty. During this time I have developed some serious pains in my foot and have received treatment and also twice received prescription orthotics. Basically my foot is seriously hosed up from 8 years of sea duty walking around on steel decks in boots. I am currently on deployment and unable to see a podiatrist until January.

Do I stand a chance to receive some kind of benefit for my foot? If so what do I need to do document this?

If you have been seen for it and it is documented in your medical record, you should be able to claim it. When you get back on shore, make an appointment with a VSO rep to discuss benefits. When I got out, there was a DAV rep who worked at the F&FSC on base that helped me out a lot. Get medical to make a paper copy of your medical record and bring it to the benefits rep for your appointment. Go through, in detail, everything you want to claim and show the rep where it is documented in your record. The rep will then mail your record to the VA and you'll eventually get called about appointments with various civilian doctors to assess your condition. Odds are, if your foot is hosed up and there's paper to document it, you'll get a rating.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Howard Phillips posted:

In November, go get your claim in at your nearest BDD intake site. Most bases have one, so check around. Just put down everything that's bothering you, from hearing loss to foot pain. Anything that's diagnosed on your examination (which will likely be before separation), regardless of any other documentation is virtually guaranteed to be found service connected.

For hearing loss, the law requires that you have a certain severity of hearing loss. Most people have hearing loss to some extent or other, but it can be hit or miss depending upon how you do on audiometric testing.

but if your ears ring, make sure you put down tinnitus.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

cult_hero posted:

::words::

MancXVI posted:

::words::

Thanks for advice. On deployment until January so that's probably the earliest I can do it, but will definitely make sure I document.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

cult_hero posted:

but if your ears ring, make sure you put down tinnitus.

This one, it's basically on the honor system since there's no easy they can tell, but it's an instant 10%. I got it from sleeping next to a super loud transmitter on a ship since it was the only warm place in the radio shack.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
My understanding is that GI Bill and VR&E reduce each other's eligibility month-for-month, but VR&E has a total of 48 months available compared to GI Bill's 36.

Now that you can get BAH on VR&E, it's always better to be on VR&E if you can get it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dorstein posted:

My understanding is that GI Bill and VR&E reduce each other's eligibility month-for-month, but VR&E has a total of 48 months available compared to GI Bill's 36.

Now that you can get BAH on VR&E, it's always better to be on VR&E if you can get it.

How does VR&E work though, it seems like it's only a vocational thing, like you can learn a trade, whereas the GI Bill is for getting a degree? All told I think I'd still rather do VR&E if it means I can quit my IT job and spend all day working at the huge makerspace up the street learning to fabricate things.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
If you have a rated disability you can do VR&E. They do an assessment to sort out what you'd be good at and happy doing, then train you to do it. Can range from setting up a blind guy to work at Skilcraft to sending a sleep apnea fatty to university to be a computer programmer to helping you buy a farm or fishing boat and go into business for yourself.

If you want to be a machinist, they'd probably send you to trade school.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The VA sent me a letter early last semester saying I owed them $125 because they overpaid my book stipend. The letter said if I didn't do something about it, it would automatically be deducted from my BAH in April 2016. That was fine with me so I just ignored it, assuming it would be taken out of my April BAH and it would take care of itself.

Nothing has ever been deducted from my BAH. I should be receiving my book stipend for the upcoming semester in the next couple of weeks, and I will receive my first BAH of the semester on September 1st (though for only one day of classes).

This is what has happened/is happening. My question is, when will they actually take the $125 from me?

Asking just in case anyone here has run into similar issues.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TBeats posted:

This is what has happened/is happening. My question is, when will they actually take the $125 from me?

Asking just in case anyone here has run into similar issues.

they'll take it at the absolute worst time possible

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have a question. does GI benefits transfer between colleges (IE you go to a community college, get the 3-3.5 GPA, then go to a 4 year to finish the undergrad?)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ryand-Smith posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have a question. does GI benefits transfer between colleges (IE you go to a community college, get the 3-3.5 GPA, then go to a 4 year to finish the undergrad?)

Yes. I'm on my second school now.

Here's a tip for you: apply to universities that you don't think you will get into. Write an essay about why you should be admitted. Play the veteran card and really tug at the heart strings. Talk about how people have died for he chance to go to school and it would be insulting to your brothers in arms to squander such an opportunity.

I got into a four year school that was WAAAAAAYYYY above what I was qualified for and I didn't even graduate high school (got my GED). If I wasn't so far along in my degree plan I might apply to even more prestigious schools just to see what happens.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 30, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I have a 2.55 GPA and had to explain my failed classes to an admissions counselor. I kept it simple. I attempted a full load every semester due to the way the GI Bill housing allowance works, and then let some grades fall while I maintained others. I also explained that my living conditions were not as good as they are now. My explanation was sufficient and I've been accepted with a provisional 3.5 GPA category that comes with some perks, mostly reduced tuition.

I've been steered toward a private school by my VR&E counselor, and the minimum GPA for transfer is 2.5. I've heard that for state schools it is 3.5.

I'm mostly after the BFA that everyone seems to require and the specific school isn't a big deal. But this school is the best in town so by all means yeah see where you can get accepted.

There's a lot to say for knowing what you're about and what makes you different from carbon copy high school graduates.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
My VA claim for my back was just completed after only something like 2 months, which was surprisingly quick from what I was expecting. I sort of got screwed over by the C&P examiner on the range of motion test. The thing is I'm not exactly keen on submitting an appeal and wait just for the chance of the same thing happening again. Would it be better to wait a while (and have regular visits with DR/ortho in the mean time) then maybe apply for an increase while having one of them fill out a DBQ?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Gooble Gobble posted:

My VA claim for my back was just completed after only something like 2 months, which was surprisingly quick from what I was expecting. I sort of got screwed over by the C&P examiner on the range of motion test. The thing is I'm not exactly keen on submitting an appeal and wait just for the chance of the same thing happening again. Would it be better to wait a while (and have regular visits with DR/ortho in the mean time) then maybe apply for an increase while having one of them fill out a DBQ?

your best bet would be to talk to someone at DAV or the like and have them work with you on the appeal. what'd you get rated as?

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

your best bet would be to talk to someone at DAV or the like and have them work with you on the appeal. what'd you get rated as?

I got rated 10% because the examiner put down that my only limited ROM was forward flexion and that was 80 degrees, which is nuts. From my super unscientific view with a mirror I can't bend more than 30-40 without pain. Never mind flare ups where I can hardly move. Then again I guess it's possible I'm being retarded and they measure it differently. I think part of the problem was even though I have records of going to PT, pain management, etc I don't have a solid diagnoses because I hardly ever got the chance to do anything with being TDY all the time my last year in. That plus minor scoliosis (of course Army didn't cause that) plus ROM reading is what got me 10 I'm sure.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Gooble Gobble posted:

I got rated 10% because the examiner put down that my only limited ROM was forward flexion and that was 80 degrees, which is nuts. From my super unscientific view with a mirror I can't bend more than 30-40 without pain. Never mind flare ups where I can hardly move. Then again I guess it's possible I'm being retarded and they measure it differently. I think part of the problem was even though I have records of going to PT, pain management, etc I don't have a solid diagnoses because I hardly ever got the chance to do anything with being TDY all the time my last year in. That plus minor scoliosis (of course Army didn't cause that) plus ROM reading is what got me 10 I'm sure.

They don't measure how much ROM you have without pain, they measure how much ROM you have period. Doesn't matter if any movement at all causes pain, if you have 100% range of motion but you're screaming the whole time, that's 0%.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

McNally posted:

They don't measure how much ROM you have without pain, they measure how much ROM you have period. Doesn't matter if any movement at all causes pain, if you have 100% range of motion but you're screaming the whole time, that's 0%.

My examiner told me to stop when I felt pain, so I did. That was way before 80 which is what I'm sort of confused about I guess. I don't mind too much either way just wanted to sort of gauge whether or not I should bother trying to appeal or just increase later.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Is there any way to check and see when Post 9/11 benefits are coming? Book money, housing, etc. I swear there used to be a place you could call or look up on e-benefits to see when it was coming but I can't seem to find it.

Maybe I was wrong, and you just have to wonder every semester if it hasn't been hosed up or not until after the money is late.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

eBenefits will show if you're enrolled, but it never shows payment information. My wife's book stipend shows a pending deposit this morning. I'm just hoping that the VA pays the school sooner rather than later so she can get the additional refund from her Pell Grant.

I'm guessing it'll be the last day of the month though. Not like they'll ever show any transparency behind the process.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

No Butt Stuff posted:

eBenefits will show if you're enrolled, but it never shows payment information. My wife's book stipend shows a pending deposit this morning. I'm just hoping that the VA pays the school sooner rather than later so she can get the additional refund from her Pell Grant.

I'm guessing it'll be the last day of the month though. Not like they'll ever show any transparency behind the process.

my book stipend last august came 10 days before the semester started. i was trying to see when my credits got certified for that semester, but i have no idea because as far as i know, it doesn't say. my credits for this coming semester were certified the last week of july, so i'm banking on my book stipend coming by the 20th or so (but not betting the house on that). ebenefits shows no pending payment as of now.

i'm not sure what determines it, but if i get my book stipend soon i'll update this post since it's good info to have imo.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 10, 2016

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
eBenefits doesn't even show me as enrolled yet. Goddamnit.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
OK, I'm at the end of my loving rope here:
I'm off active duty but still in the IRR.
What is the best way to get an either electronic or sealed paper/CD copy of my medical records in the shortest amount of time?
I need it for a job, and the VA records center won't help me because I separated after 2013.
I'm enrolled in eBenefits, but MyHealtheVet (gently caress that name very much) won't recognize my login.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You...didn't make a copy of one of the most important documents you have before handing it to the goddamned VA? One of the most incompetent organizations on the planet?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

You...didn't make a copy of one of the most important documents you have before handing it to the goddamned VA? One of the most incompetent organizations on the planet?

The Marines lost my birth certificate, medical records, my passport, dental records and then later, a certified state copy of my birth certificate.

After that I've learned to never give anything to the DoD that will cause any loss of sleep, sanity or money to replace

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Oh, I have my copy, but that isn't good enough for HR. They want a sealed, unopened copy, or the ability to download one direct from the VA/.mil, to be sure I haven't tampered with it. The VA records center says that everyone who separated after some time in 2013 has to access their records through eBenefits and won't help me, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to call up my records on eBenefits.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 16, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
call me dumb but why does a job need unsealed medical records, that seems extreme to me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Also seems like a HIPAA concern.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I more or less had to waive HIPPA and give their docs access to whatever they wanted. Because working for the government is not a right, and the law says they can do it. Trust me, I know what I'm doing and how insane it is.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

call me dumb but why does a job need unsealed medical records, that seems extreme to me.

You're telling me. Unfortunately, I don't think telling them that their process is insane bullshit will get me the job I've been working towards for over a year.

So do either of you guys know how to get med records on eBenefits? And/or have a phone number for the Air Force STR center?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
eBenefits is down. :downs:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Dead Reckoning posted:

I more or less had to waive HIPPA and give their docs access to whatever they wanted. Because working for the government is not a right, and the law says they can do it. Trust me, I know what I'm doing and how insane it is.

You're telling me. Unfortunately, I don't think telling them that their process is insane bullshit will get me the job I've been working towards for over a year.

So do either of you guys know how to get med records on eBenefits? And/or have a phone number for the Air Force STR center?

I could be wrong here, but my myhealthevet or whatever it's called login is different to my ebenefits login. I think maybe I had to register for myhealthevet and link that to the ebenefits account, or throw in my ssn to link it up or something.

Don't know if myhealthevet will have what you want but I think you have to register again.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

eBenefits is down. :downs:

Because of course it loving is on my one day off this week.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Tried to access ebenefits today.

That went well.

-A SOF Marine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
When I separated from active duty (both times), I elected to receive a copy of my medical records made by the hospital at my duty station. I am pretty sure I also did everything else correctly, all prior to 2013. I'm not sure how I would go about this so I made a call to my local Veterans Service Officer http://nvf.org/veteran-service-officers/

He said he's never heard of an employer requesting sealed medical records. He then told me I was looking for a form called SF-180. According to Archives.gov you can use either the SF-180 or eVetRecs

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/