Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Because of course it loving is on my one day off this week.

A year ago I waited until the last day of the year to submit my disability claim, and that was the day the site went down for me (was down for two days actually). My claim went through the next year but that's a year of benefits I'll never get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Elsa posted:

When I separated from active duty (both times), I elected to receive a copy of my medical records made by the hospital at my duty station. I am pretty sure I also did everything else correctly, all prior to 2013. I'm not sure how I would go about this so I made a call to my local Veterans Service Officer http://nvf.org/veteran-service-officers/

He said he's never heard of an employer requesting sealed medical records. He then told me I was looking for a form called SF-180. According to Archives.gov you can use either the SF-180 or eVetRecs

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Yeah, two weeks ago I mailed one of those to both the VA records management center and the AF STR processing center listed on the National Archives site for vet medical records. After getting no reply, and checking with the HR folks, who said they hadn't received anything, I called the VARMC, who said they didn't have my records because I separated after 12/31/2013, and that I needed to use eBenefits. I still haven't been able to find a way to contact the AF STR processing center. Presumably they are closed for training until the heat death of the universe.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
try these guys https://vetrecs.archives.gov/VeteranRequest/home.html

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
:lol: I just tried calling the National Archives on the phone, and after navigating their menu to the Veteran Records customer service section and pressing the button to connect to an operator, I get the message "We are sorry, but we are experiencing higher than normal call volume and cannot accept any new calls. Please try back later, or go to our website. *click*"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i probably would have torn the phone off the wall if I somehow was using a wall mounted rotary phone in 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I need a cheap cell phone, so that I can spike it after I get hung up on by an automated phone menu system.

Actual solution: drove to my last duty station, to the base clinic, went into the records office, and asked the nice lady there to mail a copy. I still have no idea how to contact the Air Force STR center.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Backchannels are the way to go because regular channels are always broken.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Dead Reckoning posted:

I need a cheap cell phone, so that I can spike it after I get hung up on by an automated phone menu system.

Actual solution: drove to my last duty station, to the base clinic, went into the records office, and asked the nice lady there to mail a copy. I still have no idea how to contact the Air Force STR center.

I would stay on top of that. Actually I doubt they have your records to provide you a copy from in the first place.

I'm pretty sure your active duty records were sent to either the national records center or your state's veteran records collection place. I designated this when I separated.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

Backchannels are the way to go because regular channels are always broken.

Literally how I do my job.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Elsa" popolicy="463247437 posted:

I would stay on top of that. Actually I doubt they have your records to provide you a copy from in the first place.

I'm pretty sure your active duty records were sent to either the national records center or your state's veteran records collection place. I designated this when I separated.
Y'know, at this point I would not be the least bit surprised, but she said she had access to the system they had been uploaded to, and it's not as if I have a ton of other avenues to explore at this point.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I don't think I'm the only one dying to know what type of job you're pursuing, but I won't ask because you said you have it handled. Talking about it here might not be a good idea but I think if you have the energy, you should find a Veterans Service Officer who has dealt with this before or is willing to get on the horn for you. I tend to pick Amvets representatives.

I'm pretty sure VSOs are the subject matter experts for veteran medical records. They're also available at every VA medical center, I think? And at military bases with a dedicated outprocessing center. A VSO sifted through my medical records as part of my separation process and earmarked things that would qualify as disability claims. Did you have one of those?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Elsa posted:

I can say from experience if you separated fairly recently from the Navy/MC this would work. The printed record is literally just a button away if all your poo poo is in in AHLTA/CHCS anyways, making the copy is just pushing a button. No idea how it would work for Air Force or Army.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When I had to get my medical records from the Tinker AFB clinic, I was told that by regulation they had 30 days to process it. I had an appt at the clinic around day 25, so I figured I'd stop by...they responded with "We still have five days to do it." Well, there's a Navy det on that base, too, and those guys get their records after a 2-3 hour turnaround.

So on the AF side, I'd say it works based on how lazy your civilians are.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
For anyone interested, my hours got certified the last week if July and I received my book stipend today. About the same layover as last year so ~three weeks seems to be average for me.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Someone here was asking loving ages ago about CRSC and how long it takes to process.

For me, 14 months.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
If medical records are scanned and kept digitally now, that is great news. I'm impressed.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Elsa posted:

If medical records are scanned and kept digitally now, that is great news. I'm impressed.

They definitely are for Navy, can't speak to Army or AF

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

TheQuietWilds posted:

They definitely are for Navy, can't speak to Army or AF

I brought this up during my visit to the veterans resource center at school today. One of the work study students said his records were given to him on CD when he separated. I didn't ask which branch or duty station but holy poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got a manila envelope in 2012.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
lol. and out of habit I would print everything off the CD to have a paper copy. all 400-something single-sided pages

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My medical file is sitting on a shelf in my closet because it's too obnoxiously big to file anywhere.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Elsa posted:

Welp, they did it, got confirmation form the HR dept. So, if you recently separated, asking your last duty station to pull your records from ALTHA or whatever is a legitimate option.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Welp, they did it, got confirmation form the HR dept. So, if you recently separated, asking your last duty station to pull your records from ALTHA or whatever is a legitimate option.

Still blows my mind.

I created a support ticket on gibill.gov to ask for another copy of my certificate of eligibility. They emailed me a digital version the next day, and I received a hard copy a week later.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
So I've had a claims appeal sitting in limbo for about a year and a half now. During the initial filing of the appeal my VFW rep, who has since left, told me that the process should be relatively quick as I opted for a review officer to handle the whole thing and there were portions of my file that obviously demonstrated my claims. AFAIK these claims typically take about 250 or so days to be resolved at my regional office, which is a timeframe that has long since come and gone. Had zero updates of any type during this time and even though I'm assured that its simply a matter of time I'm getting kind of worried that this thing is gonna end up in VA limbo for a decade.

I was originally told by the VFW to call back after a year if it hadn't gone through, then at 18 months, now they're saying it'll be done when its done. So I'm wondering if there is any way to get even an idea of where it is in the pending cases to be reviewed? I'm in the process of applying to law schools and was hoping to have all this resolved so I could use some Voc Rehab dollars. As it is I'm currently rated at 10%, and I guess if this whole thing doesn't pan out in time my best bet would be to apply for VR at my current rating? Not really looking forward to whatever that process will likely entail with the VA

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I need some info please:

I'm looking for someone I can work with in regard to claims and stuff with the VA.
I'm also looking for programs, grants, whatever that will help give me some extra cash while going to school. We're already gonna do WIC because we have two kids (9mo and 2yr) and it helps a lot, but literally anything to do with veterans benefits and actual income that we can use for other stuff would be nice.
How long does it take to get the "terminate" or whatever code that happens when you no longer are active or whatever in DFAS? I want to pull my TSP money out and move it and goddamn they are the worst pieces of poo poo I have ever loving encountered in my life and I hope that company gets loving audited and everyone goes to goddamn jail. I can't even request to pull my money out until DFAS sends them that code. Not even if I email or mail a copy of my DD214. I'm gonna stop before I loving rant on how loving scandalous this goddamn company is.
Hopefully someone gets to my Vocrehab packet soon. How long till I should start showing up or calling?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Thoughts/experience using the VA home loan? Thinking about using it to buy a house in about 6 to 8 months.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It's great. Just sold my house after using it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ace of Baes posted:

Thoughts/experience using the VA home loan? Thinking about using it to buy a house in about 6 to 8 months.

It gets you out of making a down payment, so yeah I thought it was pretty awesome when I used it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ace of Baes posted:

do it, we did it last year and now have a rad house

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Turns out my bank doesnt count any benefits as income, so I need to actually go get a job to buy a house despite getting like $4,000 every month. In order to get approved for a loan.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wasn't I supposed to get BAH today even though I was only in school for three days in August?

I'm not hurting without it, but it'll suck next month if I don't get it because I only budgeted to go without it for so long.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ace of Baes posted:

Turns out my bank doesnt count any benefits as income, so I need to actually go get a job to buy a house despite getting like $4,000 every month. In order to get approved for a loan.

I had this problem this summer. I needed a $2000 personal loan to tide me over a month in Philadelphia while I waited for GI Bill and student loans to kick in, but Navy Fed wouldn't approve me for poo poo because despite MHA being $2025/m here, all my income is in benefits and they don't count it as income. I ended up crashing on my GF's couch for a few weeks, but I'm not sure what I would have done if I was single.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TBeats posted:

Wasn't I supposed to get BAH today even though I was only in school for three days in August?

I'm not hurting without it, but it'll suck next month if I don't get it because I only budgeted to go without it for so long.

I got mine like last week. Maybe look closer? If it's not there, then definitely start looking into it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

McNally posted:

I got mine like last week. Maybe look closer? If it's not there, then definitely start looking into it.

I got my book stipend on the 18th. Would it have been lumped in to that even though I hadn't even started school til the 29th? Ebenefits makes zero differentiation between different types of GI Bill deposits and my book stipend seems bigger than what it's supposed to be (a little over $700 rather than $500, which I believe is supposed to be the semester cap?)

But the $700 was a single deposit in ebenefits as well as my bank account. Wouldn't BAH be a separate deposit from my book stipend?

I'm trying to talk to the VA rep dude at my school but I keep missing him every time I try.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 1, 2016

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TBeats posted:

I got my book stipend on the 18th. Would it have been lumped in to that even though I hadn't even started school til the 29th? Ebenefits makes zero differentiation between different types of GI Bill deposits and my book stipend seems bigger than what it's supposed to be (a little over $700 rather than $500, which I believe is supposed to be the semester cap?)

But the $700 was a single deposit in ebenefits as well as my bank account. Wouldn't BAH be a separate deposit from my book stipend?

I'm trying to talk to the VA rep dude at my school but I keep missing him every time I try.

If you haven't gotten your housing money yet, it might be because your school still has to send an enrollment cert to the VA. I got my book stipend around the 18th too, then my August BAH around the 27th-ish (I forget the exact date), and my school received my tuition around the same time. If tuition and/or BAH haven't shown up but you did get your book stipend, then talk to your school first because they probably haven't submitted your enrollment to the VA yet.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

Switch to USAA.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
or Fort HOod National Bank they're good people :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

or Fort HOod National Bank they're good people :thumbsup:

holy poo poo could you not