Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

or Fort HOod National Bank they're good people :thumbsup:

Trigger warning that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I just received the following email from VA-ONCE@vba.va.gov

(removed my university info)

quote:

A Termination for the reason Graduation for the period beginning on 01/14/2015 and ending on 05/11/2015 has been submitted to the VA. This was submitted by a certifying official from the UNIVERSITY OF XXX VETERANS COORDINATOR on 9/2/2016. Congratulations on your accomplishment! Your claim will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this message.

This email is referencing my undergrad studies, and I'm at graduate school right now and still using GI bill benefits.

Is something weird about to happen to my benefits?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
They are sending a Terminator back in time to kill you before you finish your degree.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Its been almost 3 years exactly since I submitted my appeal for things that were documented in my medical record. I attached said pages from my medical record. The only status update I can see on ebenefits is that they received my notice of disagreement on December 3rd, 2013. Why it took 3 months for that status update, I dunno. I called the VA again. They once again told me that the average time for my regional office is 377 days and they're processed first in first out, which cannot possibly be true. I just called and left a message with my congressional rep's vet person. Anyone have any ideas what else I could do?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its been almost 3 years exactly since I submitted my appeal for things that were documented in my medical record. I attached said pages from my medical record. The only status update I can see on ebenefits is that they received my notice of disagreement on December 3rd, 2013. Why it took 3 months for that status update, I dunno. I called the VA again. They once again told me that the average time for my regional office is 377 days and they're processed first in first out, which cannot possibly be true. I just called and left a message with my congressional rep's vet person. Anyone have any ideas what else I could do?

Was your claim handled by a VSO? I just recently received a mail acknowledgement of my notice of disagreement, but at three years I would consider contacting either a benefits lawyer or my local congressional reps office for some added traction / pressure. AFAIK there is also always the IGs office but beyond those three approaches everything I've been told is that its a totally opaque process

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Was your claim handled by a VSO? I just recently received a mail acknowledgement of my notice of disagreement, but at three years I would consider contacting either a benefits lawyer or my local congressional reps office for some added traction / pressure. AFAIK there is also always the IGs office but beyond those three approaches everything I've been told is that its a totally opaque process

I used leon county veterans services to file. The guy that filed doesn't work there anymore, and they really have no idea who I am.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I used leon county veterans services to file. The guy that filed doesn't work there anymore, and they really have no idea who I am.

Sounds like time to consult with a lawyer or at the very least head to your closest VFW or whatever and see what they think. Florida public services arent who I'd want handling this if I was you.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'm currently in a bit of a strange place with my benefits and was wondering if anyone else had any kind of similar experience or advice. I'm 90% disabled according to the VA. Which technically means I can work. However, if I try to get a part time job, they use it as evidence as to my getting better from my anxiety and depression, and try to reduce my benefits. The money I'm getting is not quite enough to live, and I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they don't want me to try to work, shouldn't I be considered totally disabled? I've been out for more than three years, is it true that at 5 they can't lower your ratings unless you're totally cured? I've stayed at the same rating for the entire time I've been out, but I'm really worried the VA is just going to leave me on my rear end at some point.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Are you TRDL or Permanently Retired?

You could consider filing for SSDI. It would take a few months for you to get the money from it though. You really won't have the option of working for a bit, but maybe the money can give you some breathing room while you figure some stuff out.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm currently in a bit of a strange place with my benefits and was wondering if anyone else had any kind of similar experience or advice. I'm 90% disabled according to the VA. Which technically means I can work. However, if I try to get a part time job, they use it as evidence as to my getting better from my anxiety and depression, and try to reduce my benefits. The money I'm getting is not quite enough to live, and I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they don't want me to try to work, shouldn't I be considered totally disabled? I've been out for more than three years, is it true that at 5 they can't lower your ratings unless you're totally cured? I've stayed at the same rating for the entire time I've been out, but I'm really worried the VA is just going to leave me on my rear end at some point.

Unless they set you up for a future examination, they won't review it based simply on your employment. You can still be employed and be 100%, you just can't have a 100% evaluation based on a mental disorder or due to unemployability because the regs require a "total occupational impairment". Look at your rating decision and it should say something like "as there is a possibility of improvement, this condition is subject to review at a future date", or something to that effect.

Current rules only allow for a review only after five years. So if you've been out for three, you've got at least another 2-3 years before they request a new exam, if even that. The five year rule simply states that there has to be "sustained improvement" before a reduction can be made. Generally that means you get one exam, if that shows you've gotten better and warrant a lower evaluation, they'll request a second examination about a year later. If you haven't improved, they'll probably just make it permanent and leave you alone until you die or come in wanting more money (at which time you run the risk of actually having improved and being reduced).

The VA wants you to work and they want you to get better. Take advantage of the education opportunities, get treatment for your condition. live your life. Don't go sucking around being a sad sap out of fear that they'll reduce your money. You'll be significantly better off if you just take the 90% and get a job. Generally, no one's going to come around asking questions or sending you letters if you're just 90% on a permanent basis.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'm permanently retired. I was on TDRL for two years, before the army settled me at 70%. The VA tacked on 20% for other conditions keeps bringing me in every year for evaluation, and any attempt at getting a job is noted as an improvement. I applied for SSDI and they said I was ineligible because I'm still young enough and there was a potential for job force participation, despite my doctors saying that it wasn't really an option at this stage in my treatment.
I've reached a spot where I need to figure out how to get out of the debt that I've slowly accrued on months when the money wasn't quite enough, and I'm worried that getting a job will do more harm than good in the long term.
I started scuba diving as a type of therapy, and stuck with the training long enough to become an instructor. I'm wondering if it's something I should try for, and risk losing my benefits, or just keep trying to stay under the radar. I've gotten other part time jobs in the past, but I usually can't stick with them when I have a major depressive episode or start having severe panic attacks.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Kind of a weird question. I got a prescription from the VA and have to split the pills. The one they gave me loving sucks. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Consummate Professional posted:

Kind of a weird question. I got a prescription from the VA and have to split the pills. The one they gave me loving sucks. Does anyone have a recommendation?

go to walmart and buy a pill splitter?

They are like $5.

Or is that not what you are asking?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I uh, did not know they were so easily available but now I realize that was dumb. Thanks

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So I got a call from a VocRehab person down here and they said they were gonna email me with appointment times. It's been a week. Do I have to start the whole loving process over again?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So in that P9/11 benefits letter you get at the beginning of a new semester, there's a section that shows you your remaining benefits. Does that number factor in the CURRENT term or all subsequent time left?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I'm pretty sure that's the time remaining after the term that was just approved

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone roughly know about how soon the VA takes to mail a Certificate of Eligibility back to a veteran? I completed the DoD form 22-1995 on Monday and I believe the regional office is in St. Louis.... my classes are gonna start the first week of November.

I know the VA can vary a lot but I just found out today my NYS unemployment claim was denied (since I was mostly a "contractor" and not an actual employee for most of last year) and I was really gonna rely on that money 'till I got my BAH payments coming in...

holy gently caress.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Anyone roughly know about how soon the VA takes to mail a Certificate of Eligibility back to a veteran? I completed the DoD form 22-1995 on Monday and I believe the regional office is in St. Louis.... my classes are gonna start the first week of November.

I know the VA can vary a lot but I just found out today my NYS unemployment claim was denied (since I was mostly a "contractor" and not an actual employee for most of last year) and I was really gonna rely on that money 'till I got my BAH payments coming in...

holy gently caress.

It took them three weeks when I applied in, like, March.

Then again I submitted a 22-5940 on September 23rd and I'm still waiting, so who knows.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'm a dumb new arng babby,

I just finished the 25B AIT course and I'm trying to figure out how many college credit hours I can milk out of it, even if most colleges are going to call it all elective. My JST says the course hasn't been rated, is there anywhere I can get information on this poo poo? My hope is to go to Ohio State in the summer term as a transferee if they'll take any of the credits, otherwise I have no post-secondary and the deadline for spring applications closed while I was in training. They basically told me to gently caress off, that they don't take freshmen for summer term, they don't make exceptions to the application deadline, and if I don't have credit hours to transfer in come apply next fall, which isn't cool.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't help on figuring out what transfers, there's a good chance the answer is "nothing" or really close to it...but if you're looking at a BS/BA there's no chance in hell you're going to squeeze ~40 credits out of military training to bump you up to sophomore status. If you can't get in until fall I suggest you look into CLEPing out of some of the basics in the meantime. Save yourself time and money. Make sure it's done at a place the school will recognize.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I don't know the status of Tuition Assistance, but if it's available see about going to a community college for free/cheap in the meantime

I think with USAR they made you have to be in your unit for a year or something though, no idea about ARNG.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shot off a congressional inquiry form for my VA appeal that has been sitting for over 3 years now. Hopefully now I can finally find out something since right now all I have is a status showing "We received your NOD. We'll contact you with further information." Anytime I call I still get the same "appeals processed first in first out and average appeal time at your office is 370ish days."

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I don't know the status of Tuition Assistance, but if it's available see about going to a community college for free/cheap in the meantime

I think with USAR they made you have to be in your unit for a year or something though, no idea about ARNG.

Ohio ARNG has a scholarship program covering 100% tuition for 96 credits. I'm pretty much wanting the biggest bang for my buck, going to go full time and peep yoga pant butts. I'll probably just say gently caress it and go as a freshman next fall and get a job in the meantime. I expect a deployment somewhere in the next 4 years anyway, so it's not like I'll graduate on time. I'm older at 22 too, so idgaf.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
How does the $1,000 book&supply stipend work? 3 times a year? Every time you get new classes?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

How does the $1,000 book&supply stipend work? 3 times a year? Every time you get new classes?

Should be once in spring and once in fall shortly before the semester starts. Keep an eye on how much you get. They like to overpay!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

$1000 split up over however many quarters or semesters you take. So it's maybe one or two books at full price. Enjoy!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
thank you :cool:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Tl;dr is there anything 3wks or less I can just walk into with the GI Bill?

I should've asked two months ago, but if I'm gonna be in Austin until at least the end of the year, what quick/easy classes are there out there that I can walk into on short notice and take on the GI Bill (I can pay up-front if the gov will reimburse me). I understand that 3wk intensive EMT classes exist but not seeing any locally. Welding, bartending, some other medical thing? I just want something useful to do until my next gig starts since I'm bored witless, and I want to burn up some GI Bill since I don't plan a PhD anytime soon. I think I have the post-9/11 since I started in 1999 but did whatever that "pay extra for more benefits" was around 2005, EAS'ed in 2008 and resigned commission in 2012.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I'm preparing to separate in June 2017 (going on Terminal Leave in May) from the Navy.

Problem is that my unit will be out at sea from March to probably June or even July. My COC is most likely going to keep me onboard until two weeks before my terminal leave begins even though that's not enough time to get all the stuff done. I'm going to request to remain behind TAD until my terminal date but I don't know if they will even entertain it.

Are there any provisions, policies, or laws that protect a service member's out processing?

I want at least 3 weeks prior to my terminal leave date to do the final medical stuff and get my life sorted out. Trying to do all this before the March date when we leave won't be possible or unreasonable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Get pregnant.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Go ask the Command Master Chief really nicely? Who cares if you jump the chain of command; you're practically expected to be insolent at the end of your tour.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Go ask the XO Command Master Chief really nicely? Who cares if you jump the chain of command; you're practically expected to be insolent at the end of your tour.

He's an O and that's about the only thing you can do.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey so...My wife is probably pregnant and we need to get our poo poo sorted with Tricare. They said we are only available for standard but if we pay the whatever we can have prime. I thought that my family got prime for free because my disability rating was 60% Army. Is this right or am I wrong?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

Hey so...My wife is probably pregnant and we need to get our poo poo sorted with Tricare. They said we are only available for standard but if we pay the whatever we can have prime. I thought that my family got prime for free because my disability rating was 60% Army. Is this right or am I wrong?

You have to pay for prime. My disability is higher than yours and I have to pay for it as well. We just have access to care at VA clinics/hospitals.

It's still like a bajillion dollars cheaper than using civilian private healthcare. I haven't signed up for it but I am planning on it because I have heard good things about it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TBeats posted:

You have to pay for prime. My disability is higher than yours and I have to pay for it as well. We just have access to care at VA clinics/hospitals.

It's still like a bajillion dollars cheaper than using civilian private healthcare. I haven't signed up for it but I am planning on it because I have heard good things about it.

Makes sense.

Now I need to dispute my ratings.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah it's cheap as gently caress. You'd be stupid not to take it. Tricare Prime (Prime Remote) really isnt all that bad once you take the army poo poo out of it. You just get a primary care giver that covers it and I think it's like $10 copay or something per appointment and I don't think I pay like $40 a month for the plan. You run into the occasional "tri care doesn't cover this thing" but I'm sure it's no worse than whatever you can afford in the real world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

Makes sense.

Now I need to dispute my ratings.

I'm sitting at over three years since I sent in my appeal for disputed ratings on things that were in my medical record. My congressional request got me nothing more than what the VA phone center has got me. It at least didn't list the bullshit average appeal time of a year.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Started school 2 weeks ago and I still haven't received my book stipend.

What can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Started school 2 weeks ago and I still haven't received my book stipend.

What can I do?

Did you turn that letter of eligibility into the school?