Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I found out recently that I wasn't using my Retiree benefits to the fullest extent possible. I never received my blue retiree card after leaving on TDRL in 2013, then was moved to PDRL after two years. When I went to get it today, I was told that I wasn't eligible because I wasn't 100% disabled (I'm 70 according to the Army, and 90 according to the VA). I've been just getting the VA checks, and using my GI bill.
I was wondering if anyone could confirm that I am eligible (I looked on google and it seems like I am), and if anyone could clue me into any other benefits I'm not using? Is there a list or something somewhere? My buddy uses his retirement card to get space A flights, which is how this realization occurred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Delizin posted:

Yeah, that guy is wrong. He was thinking of the brown DD 2765. You need the Blue DD Form 2 (Retired) ID card.

http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/

Yeah, what it actually was is he didn't want to do his job. When I went back today he sent me to another DEERS office so he wouldn't have to work. But, at the end of the day, I got my ID, and he got to not give it to me, so it was a success all around.
Thanks for the help.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'm currently in a bit of a strange place with my benefits and was wondering if anyone else had any kind of similar experience or advice. I'm 90% disabled according to the VA. Which technically means I can work. However, if I try to get a part time job, they use it as evidence as to my getting better from my anxiety and depression, and try to reduce my benefits. The money I'm getting is not quite enough to live, and I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they don't want me to try to work, shouldn't I be considered totally disabled? I've been out for more than three years, is it true that at 5 they can't lower your ratings unless you're totally cured? I've stayed at the same rating for the entire time I've been out, but I'm really worried the VA is just going to leave me on my rear end at some point.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'm permanently retired. I was on TDRL for two years, before the army settled me at 70%. The VA tacked on 20% for other conditions keeps bringing me in every year for evaluation, and any attempt at getting a job is noted as an improvement. I applied for SSDI and they said I was ineligible because I'm still young enough and there was a potential for job force participation, despite my doctors saying that it wasn't really an option at this stage in my treatment.
I've reached a spot where I need to figure out how to get out of the debt that I've slowly accrued on months when the money wasn't quite enough, and I'm worried that getting a job will do more harm than good in the long term.
I started scuba diving as a type of therapy, and stuck with the training long enough to become an instructor. I'm wondering if it's something I should try for, and risk losing my benefits, or just keep trying to stay under the radar. I've gotten other part time jobs in the past, but I usually can't stick with them when I have a major depressive episode or start having severe panic attacks.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I am about to enter repayment on my student loans, does my VA disability count as income for income based repayment?