Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hi all! I think this may be a good place to ask! I am trying to file for disability compensation. The form 21-526EZ implies I need to be treated at a VA facility. I was treated while in the military, but not by the VA.

I have been trying to set up an appointment, and have called many national and local VA and VA/medical phone numbers, but they all act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. This is really frustrating and a little surprising, since this seems like it should be a routine request. Where would you start? Thank you!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

MancXVI posted:

I recommend talking to a DAV representative, they will help you with your case and tell you what info to provide. If the VA tries any shenanigans, they will represent you and file paperwork and appeals on your behalf.

https://www.dav.org/

Hekk posted:

Yeah 100% use the Disabled American Veterans or other VSO to help you with your claim. They’ve got people who do this all the time and are way more familiar with the process than you will ever be. There is no reason not to get help. It costs you nothing.

Ty for the tip on DAV!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not going to dissuade you from using DAV in any way whatsoever, but just an FYI, when I went through them, they did nothing for me, other than open the initial VA claim, which I could have easily done. Hopefully, they do better by you, but if not, here's what I did to facilitate things:

1. I had a copy of my medical record from when I discharged, so I scanned it and pulled the pertinent pages.
2. Documented EVERYTHING that was related to my claim - can't squat down, difficult to walk, spasms on a almost daily basis. Be very concise and write everything down, because the C&P is going to ask how your injury(s) affect your daily life.
3. Be prepared to explain in detail the event that led to your injury. There has to be a clear line from service to now - it's especially helpful if the event was documented in your records, but that often doesn't happen. I had a fall where I hosed my back up documented as "Back Pain."
4. If you have supporting evidence from a civilian doctor, send that in as well - I had MRIs that I submitted as part of my claim. They may or may not have helped, but they certainly didn't hurt.
5. When you do your C&P, just be truthful and try to answer as clearly and succinctly as possible - I hate to put it this way, but you're essentially on trial, and anything you say can and will be used against you. Don't embellish or go off on a tangent. Also, don't stress out.
6. A lot of joint stuff is based on range of movement (ROM). Your knees can be totally hosed up and hurt you 24 hours a day, but if you can bend them within the specified range, you might get denied.
7. If your claim doesn't go through, you can appeal!

And, to give you (and others) some hope, I went in pretty much clueless and came out with a 70% rating.

Yo! I couldn't figure out the Dav thing. I submitted some paperwork, and now they send me mail every week or so with ambiguous messages. Also, they signed up me to see a doctor who asked me some questions and typed things in a computer. She was very nice!

I am hoping if I can get a few %s, I can get a SDVOSB.