Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I went through VONAPP and sent them my DD214 for 35 months and 11 days of enlisted service before I went officer. They came back and said I'm 90% eligible. I'm still active duty right now fulfilling my minimum service requirement for 5 years for going to the Naval Academy.

Questions is: I paid my $1200 for the Montgomery GI Bill, wouldn't that make me 100% eligible for post 9/11? I hate sitting at 90% even though I was very shy of 100%. Right now plan is to do one month past my required 5 years as an officer so I can get to 100% but if I don't have to do that then I can get out a little earlier.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I'm getting ready to separate in May after 8 years of active duty. During this time I have developed some serious pains in my foot and have received treatment and also twice received prescription orthotics. Basically my foot is seriously hosed up from 8 years of sea duty walking around on steel decks in boots. I am currently on deployment and unable to see a podiatrist until January.

Do I stand a chance to receive some kind of benefit for my foot? If so what do I need to do document this?

Also those who have hearing loss what is the process like at the VA?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

cult_hero posted:

::words::

MancXVI posted:

::words::

Thanks for advice. On deployment until January so that's probably the earliest I can do it, but will definitely make sure I document.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I'm preparing to separate in June 2017 (going on Terminal Leave in May) from the Navy.

Problem is that my unit will be out at sea from March to probably June or even July. My COC is most likely going to keep me onboard until two weeks before my terminal leave begins even though that's not enough time to get all the stuff done. I'm going to request to remain behind TAD until my terminal date but I don't know if they will even entertain it.

Are there any provisions, policies, or laws that protect a service member's out processing?

I want at least 3 weeks prior to my terminal leave date to do the final medical stuff and get my life sorted out. Trying to do all this before the March date when we leave won't be possible or unreasonable.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

So I just applied for my post 9/11 benefits through Vets.gov.

It was pretty straightforward and the user interface was actually pretty nice, but the weird thing was that it didn't ask me for any paperwork.

I applied for certificate of eligibility before for the post 9/11 through VONAPP but was only rated for 90% benefits and now that I've finished my service as an officer I'm eligible for 100%. Which is why I'm applying again.

Did I gently caress up by applying again even though I already had a certificate from 2015?
Also is it normal for it not to ask for any supporting document like DD214 etc... ?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

My school just told me that I need to pay my student health insurance and that the VA won't pay it under Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Is this correct?

I've been googling all morning trying to find official verbiage on whether student health insurance is covered under Post 9/11 GI Bill. Seeing as how I am required to have insurance under ACA/Individual mandate, I feel like the GI Bill should cover it. It's a hefty bill at $2700.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

sharkbomb posted:

Nah, that's not right. I don't know the particulars of your school/situation, but you have health insurance covered by the VA. This is entirely separate from the Post 9/11 GI Bill so you're not going to find any documentation about health insurance. So technically your school is correct in the sense that Post 9/11 GI Bill won't pay for your health insurance, but again it's an entirely different thing.

You just need to enroll at your local VA and you'll have insurance. As a student with very little or no income, the care will be free.

Every year when I waive the student health insurance, I just notify them that I am covered through the VA and all parties move on until the next year when I again waive the student health insurance.

I wasn't aware that I was eligible for VA health coverage. I was told at TAPS that since I was voluntarily separating I wasn't eligible for any coverage.

So for the few months prior to school starting I was uninsured and looked forward to the student health insurance because it has a good reputation for coverage and care. The school has a "Hard Waiver" program where you are required to prove that you have another form of health insurance otherwise you have to sign up with the University Healthcare provided through Aetna. Not having health insurance is not an option. But the hard waiver deadline has already passed, hence why I'm dealing with the premium which just recently got posted.

I'm relatively healthy and willing to take the risk of not having health insurance. I would rather pay the ACA penalty fee than pay $2700 for a year.

I called the GI Bill helpline today and explained my case and she referred me to the SCO Handbook (manual for school certifying officials). https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/docs/job_aids/SCO_Handbook2.pdf. On page 31 it says

quote:

NOTE: Fees are mandatory charges (other than tuition, room, and applied by the school for pursuit of an approved program of education. Fees include, but are not limited to, health premiums, freshman fees, graduation fees, and lab fees.

I know I should have done better research, that's my responsibility. But still I feel like this is a legitimate concern. Also I found out that Stanford and Vanderbilt among many other schools do consider student health insurance a mandatory fee covered under the GI Bill. At the end of the day the university will get their money, so why make a fuss about it?

I attached their Health Insurance requirement flowchart. It's University of Virginia.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 3, 2017

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

sharkbomb posted:

You need to separate from your mind the GI Bill and health insurance - they are not at all related and you're making things very complicated for yourself. Speaking to the VA people that run the GI Bill won't get you anywhere because they don't have anything to do with healthcare, and vice versa. Sure, you can use any refund money you get from excess scholarships/benefits to buy a high-speed platinum health insurance plan, but neither the school nor the VA GI Bill are involved in that.

All vets are eligible for VA care, as far as I know. It's been very useful to me as a perpetual student that doesn't make any money. You are just means tested to determine what amount you'll be paying for co-pays. If you're a student you won't have to pay anything unless you have some lucrative side-job giving you a steady income.

I also voluntarily separated from a 5 year enlistment and go to the VA for my annual physical and have a regular doctor there.

Contact your local VA tomorrow morning and get enrolled ASAP. Then call your school's health office and tell them you are enrolled at the VA and need to be waived from their other requirements. It won't be any kind of new, complicated process for them-- I'm sure UVA has tons of vets.

Thanks.

Yeah I'm going to contact the VA tomorrow. The university basically told me to gently caress off.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Cenen posted:

Alright I’ve braced myself for the slew of posts calling me retarded but here it goes.

Is there any other perk to going through a ROTC program when I go to school at the end of my extended second enlistment other than having a guaranteed commission at the end? I’ve already saved a lot of money and have a couple decent investments and I’m coming out of the Air Force with my civilian certifications in respiratory therapy and of course the post 9/11 GI bill.

The way I see it is if I can just get some cushy back office job stamping forms for 10 years until I retired I’d be perfectly fine with that. I’m just looking to see if there are any pros/cons to going ROTC or just trying to go to OTC when I finish school.

I won’t have a lot of time when I come back from this deployment to go through TAPS. So I’m just trying to get as much info now as I can while sitting out here between Iraqis getting their limbs blown off.

If you go ROTC you won't have to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill. Which means later you can transfer your benefits to your spouse or child.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Check your AHLTA electronic medical record copy PDF for the lot number. You should have requested this prior to getting out from your medical unit.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I've been out for a year now. Do I still need to maintain mypay access?

Reason why I am asking is because I got an email saying my mypay password was expiring and that I need to renew it. I filed my 2017 taxes and I don't see myself logging into mypay again. I'm not in reserves or anything.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

- An SOF Marine

Everything is done for you in SOF. You want to wipe your butt? Here's a $1000/sheet toiletpaper cuz of special budget via SOCOM.

The only thing you have to do is pick which chick you are taking back to the crib from the club.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

1. When does the VA send an updated COE for GI Bill? I want to know how many more months of benefits I have remaining.

2. If I fail a class while using CH33 GI Bill benefits what happens? I assume they won't charge me back.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Thanks for your answers folks. Have a great weekend. No stress now if I fail this one class.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/dad24..._eid=a3e300165d

quote:

Scholarship Opportunity

American Australian Association (AAA) Veteran Scholarships
USA to Australia Veteran Scholarship Opportunities are open from September 1st – October 15. The scholarship provides support of up to US $40,000 to honorably discharged post 9/11 American military veterans, undertaking or interested in undertaking Undergraduate or Graduate level study for one-year full-time at an accredited institution in Australia.

Applicants may be studying in any disciplinary field and applicants do not have to have an offer from an accredited institution at the time of application, but should be actively looking at institutions in Australia. Successful applicants have up to two years to find placement, receive an offer from an institution and use the funds. You can read more about this scholarship and apply here.

$40k scholarship to go get a degree in Australia for American veterans. Pussy and beer up to you when you get there.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Mustang posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to apply for an MBA program round 2 and starting in Fall 2020 or waiting until Round 1 to start in Fall 2021 to improve my application. Studying for the GMAT has been on and off this year due to spending 4 months in the field during a 9 month period.

I have 100% GI Bill that would cover this particular schools MBA program.

However if I wait to apply round 1 for Fall 2021 start date, I'll be turning 34 when I start the program and about to turn 36 when I graduate. Most of my junior CPT peers on the other hand are late 20s going into an MBA.

My GMAT score isn't where I want it to be in order to offset my 2.9 GPA, I'm trying to get a 700+ but studying off and on between field exercises only got me to the mid 600s.

I'm in my final 2 months of active duty and I don't THINK they're going to send me to the field again so I've been studying hard but I don't know if I can pull off a 700 before round 2 closes.

Buy a reputable GMAT study program. Yes buy so that you are fully committed. My friend applied and got rejected from most his skills. Dropped a few k for GMAT prep and some MBA veteran application consulting and now he is attending a top 5 program for free using VOCREHAB. GMAT is everything if you're a veteran. They know the GPA is from a long time ago and you're a different person now but the GMAT shows your aptitude.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Marine friend of mine got bit by this.

This is why I extended my service by a month just to make sure that I hit the 3 years for 100%. Luckily my CO completely understood why I was doing it and approved the extension with full support.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Godholio posted:

Home Depot's discount varies by store. Mine doesn't do one at all, nor does the one in my hometown.

T-Mobile's family plans look awesome. But if you're single, get all the way hosed.

I've been using T-Mobile's veteran discount for about 3 years. $55/mo for unlimited data. Are there any better deals out there?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Godholio posted:

There are tradeoffs. I pay AT&T $57 for 6GB...I rarely approach it and I also get rollover so I usually have about 10GB available. But TM has restrictions like SD streaming on their unlimited plan, which I don't have to deal with. It's pretty subjective as far which is a better deal, but TM doesn't have a magenta plus plan for a single line, and that's all I'd be interested in.

That AT&T deal is good. Is it $57 for a single line? I might switch if I can get them subsidize a phone upgrade.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I'm on ebenefits trying to apply for a DAV representative... but there are literally dozens choices them at my local DAV. All same address but with different phone numbers.

Which one do I pick?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Call their office and they'll likely assign you someone. Tell the person they assign you to what stage you're at, and that you'll be putting them down as your rep.

I would call first just to make sure they're not caught off guard when papers with your name and one of theirs turns up on their desk next week. Also so they don't assign you to someone out sick or on vacation.

You don't have to do this and can just pick a name, but a little forethought goes a long way, and a heads up wouldn't hurt for the reps.

Okay thank you.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'm now in my local VA system and should be getting a call soon to schedule my first appt.

Now my real question: is it possible to reduce my coverage with my work to just my wife and kid and keep va for myself? I realize every company is different but before I go spinning my wheels I'd like to know if it's worth pursuing or even possible. I pay ~900/mo in coverage and obviously want to keep my family covered but I'd definitely like to reduce that cost somehow.

Doubtful with the way companies negotiate plan policy and rates but doesn't hurt to ask or take a look at the options to see if there is something that is cheaper for you but retains some coverage for your family.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Keep in mind that your VA coverage is relative to your rating and you won't be covered for some stuff unless you have a high enough rating. You may just want to keep your insurance if your rating isn't high enough to warrant mostly full coverage. Even then, poo poo like dental, you need to be 90-100% rating to get, or they'll dock it from your disability payment.

Granted, that doesn't always mean they're going to bill you, or turn you down. My brother doesn't have a rating and makes loving peanuts, still uses the VA and they negotiate what he pays for his meds and visits to basically nothing because they sat down and discussed his finances and expenses with him to figure out what he can afford. That seems very hit/miss and would depend on your patients advocate and whoever handles billing.

Most civilian policies don't cover dental anyways. Dental is almost always a separate plan you have to buy and even then it's basically the same price as paying out of pocket for routine visits and cleanings etc. Dental is only valuable if you have to get significant dental surgery or extensive work done. Of course that's what insurance is for but if you take care of your teeth then no need to carry a plan. I pay out of pocket for dental and keep a few thousand set aside if I have to have any dental surgery. YMMV.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I guess I should rethink my plan to retire early and rely and VA care for the rest of my life.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

life is killing me posted:

Hey goons, I've been out since 2012 but am currently looking for jobs locally, particularly any federal jobs, but barring that, considering looking for jobs that will match my experience in the Army. To this end, is anyone else here an aircraft mechanic, particularly rotary wing? If not rotary wing, I'm mainly wondering about how to get my aircraft maintenance logged hours in order to get my airframe and powerplant certificate. Like an idiot I didn't get this when I had the easy path to it while still in, so now have some more hoops to jump through than I would have otherwise, that being showing experience so that I can just go take the exams rather than go through classes.

If anyone can shed some light on this that'd be awesome--I don't know the level of information and/or supporting documentation I need to provide to anyone at the FAA to get the ball rolling on this, but I do know that most aircraft maintenance jobs in my area are definitely requiring an A&P certificate to be considered for hiring.

Getting a federal job can take a while. (Took me 9 months after interview to get seated and start getting paid.)

Have you looked at gov contractors? If you have a clearance and related experience it's quick to get hired and you can start networking with the gov folks that you work with. Then once an opening pops up you can get internally shoehorned in.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Hello vet friends here. I've got a C&P exam with VES coming up next month. I submitted 5 different claims and conditions, does VES do a single exam for all five claims? Or will I get referred to other exams from my initial VES appointment?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Hekk posted:

When I did my c&p exam my hearing test and tbi exams were separate from the head to toe exam that covered everything else. So it was a total of three trips to get everything taken care of.

Two exams. One for joint head to toe exam and another for hearing just like you.

I hope I get an answer soon.

I filed my claims in November with an intent to file letter from January. If the decision goes past the original intent to file date, do I still get back payed (since I filed before the intent expired)?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Hekk posted:

As I understand the process, when you give the VA an Intent to File, it starts a 1 year clock for you get everything together for your claim. Anything awarded from that claim will be back dated to the date you submitted the Intent to File. However it only works for one claim so you can't make a claim and see what you get and then decide to make another claim and get additional backdated benefits.

https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/general/intenttofile.pdf

So, yeah if you submitted an Intent to File in January and submitted your claim in November and are awarded a disability rating your benefits will be backdated to January.

Got it. Thanks Hekk.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I filed 18 years after I got out. Reach out to a VSO today. Don't keep putting it off because you're giving away tax free money like I did.

I used my county's Vet Service Office and many others used DAV. Get that ball rolling.

+1

I should've filed while I was going through TAPS because active duty filers get priority adjudication. Meanwhile my buddy who filed got 90% right away and was able to attend an Ivy league MBA program on vocrehab.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Part of the reason why I ended up applying is that even with 0% the VA waives the VA loan funding fee. That could save $5-6k depending on the price of the house. Also, if you're 100% some states will waive property taxes or give you 50% discount, which is insane. And finally at 50% rating you are also eligible for free healthcare through the VA (not just for rated medical issues.)

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Just following up, thanks for all the info on the VA loan stuff back in October. Closing took a long time on account of a new septic installation, but we finally got it done in early December and just moved in a couple of weeks ago. We ended up not going with the VA because of the extra red tape and the insane housing market up here (new england), but everyone's advice pointed us in the right direction :tipshat:

Congrats on closing and I hope you enjoy your new home. Did you end up paying standard 20% down payment? I've been told by brokers that the extra 7-14 days of VA clearance makes it difficult for sellers in a hot seller's market.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Hey brothers, just got my rating. I submitted end of Nov, so it moved pretty fast. I think what helped me get a quick rating was sitting down and building a package for each claim. Took a long time, approximately 20 hours of full prep. I felt like a lawyer building a case. I wrote a statement for each claim to walk them through it. Overall pleased I got 60% and got rated for all my foot and knee issues. They denied my tinnitus though, which is weird because I've served over five years in engine rooms, gun ranges, and 5 inch caliber big gun shoots. Not sure if I should claim again for tinnitus because I believe all the issues get re-evaluated again?

Like I said I submitted in Nov and get a relatively quick answer in two months. I had an intent to file from Jan, so I made it in under the 12 month cutoff from intent to file.

I should have filed as I was leaving active duty but I waited four years to do it. Thank you to all the veterans on this thread who provided a wealth of information and encouragement.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Totally ridiculous. I notice that some state gov run veterans affairs are just another flavor of the boomer/outdated culture of some of the veteran orgs like Legion or DAV. I'm not saying all are bad but they don't seem to provide much despite being part of state gov. Worst of all they are full of red tape and bureaucracy.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

I helped my Vietnam vet father get his rating a few years ago (he got 50%, had a lot of issues including PTSD and was homeless for years following the war.).

I'm quite sure my dad undersold and held a lot back in the first pass of the process so I'm thinking of having him resubmit for another rating A friend of mine has a service he's using to resubmit where, but they charge something like 6x the increase they get you as a flat fee (no increase gets them no fee). Anyone ever used something like that vs a free vso org?

6x increase for a flat fee? that maybe reasonable depending on the quality and reputation of service.

A friend of mine used a service where the provider charges nothing up front but gets paid 50% of the increase for a set time. He said it was worth it for him because the service walked him through everything and helped get Nexus letters through private providers to establish service connection.

On a separate note, now that I've received my rating, how often will I be sent to C&P again to confirm my disability? Also, how do I start getting treatment from the VA?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

yeah, it sounded reasonable to me as well - especially because I don't always have the bandwidth to do all of the hand holding and research that my dad needs to get anything done.

I'll need to do more research on the service. The person he recommended to me looks like they're out of vaclaimsinsider.com, which...not may not have the greatest reputation.

I like the free info vaclaimsinsider provides but they give me some scummy vibes. Don't know any firsthand experiences using their paid service though.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

jwang posted:

I'm a veteran looking to get out of paying rent and into actually owning a home. Can I get some help in getting/using a VA loan? Should I get my loan through Navy Federal, which I already have an account with, or Veteran's United, which is aggressively marketed on Google Search and apparently offers bundle benefits?

You don't need to get financing through Navy Fed, USAA, or any specific service/veteran affiliated financial institution. With that said, Navy Federal has a decent reputation for providing good rates and service. USAA mortgage department is generally crap because they outsource it to another lender.

First thing I recommend doing is lots of research on the financials. I would watch YouTube videos, back of the envelope calculations, and honest look at your income etc... You should determine how much house you can afford without putting yourself at financial risk.

Second, do some market research on where you want to buy. What kind of property, condo, townhouse, or single family home. Each has advantages/disadvantages and only you can make the choices. Your budget from step 1 will also play a factor here.

Third, get your credit score through one of the federally sanctioned credit reporting companies. Then apply for pre-qualification through at least two lenders. This will determine your ceiling but keep in mind your own internal calculation for how much house you can afford. With pre-qual letter in hand you are ready to start shopping with a real estate agent and make an offer.

Four, happy shopping! Just be ready to pay 1-3% in closing costs. If you have VA disability you can get the VA funding fee waived.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I think this is an improvement. VA.gov portal is much better than ebenefits and the app is actually useful.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I was denied for Tinnitus. I guess now you Tinnitus can only be rated as a symptom of another issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

How does going about seeing if you can get a disability increase work? My knees have been getting really bad as of late, and I'm a little concerned that if I get in to see someone, they're going to wind up lowering my rating. Can that happen?

The way I understand is that if you file for increase, you will be scheduled for another C&P exam. That exam could end up lowering your rating. Not sure if filing for one condition increase will automatically trigger C&P for all other conditions. Anyone know?