Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Wicked self-burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

App13 posted:

Anyone know if a delay in BAH is normal at the beginning of the semester? This is my 4th semester, and I think this is the first time BAH has been late. The semester started on the 19th of January and I'm in vocrehab, if that makes any difference.

Every time this has happened to me it ends up being that the school's VA person hasn't clicked the right button on the VA web-portal. Neither of those are the right technical term, but it's a general description.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

App13 posted:

Should I bring this up to the Vet office at my school, or somehow talk to the VA directly?

Vet office at school. Just ask if they've verified your enrollment to the VA yet.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ptolemaeus posted:

The issue is, after logging into Tricare-online, half the exams and tests I am looking at are randomly labeled Pain or generic terms that don't explicitly link to the testicular problem and I am worried that this is going to screw me over. What should I be doing now before June when I get out to make the best claim for VA on this issue so I can get it treated by a real doctor on the outside? Normally I wouldn't care and would just be happy for freedom, but this is about my testicles and its causing quality of life/sexual issues as well.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp#l

This is a link to the rating schedule book. I can't open it on my phone, but whatever language they use for any given issue is what you want in the record. Some things (usually chronic back pain) are schedule differently based on the number of visits per year. If it says "requiring # visits per year," the key thing is to get your repeat visits documented (don't just show up to sick call and get Motrin, make sure they enter the visit into the system, for example). You need a visit in which a concrete diagnosis is made matching whatever the highest rating you can find is. I suspect the answer is going to be some sort of chronic pain related dx, since as far as I remember (it has been 3 years since I did an exit physical) they don't award disability based on sexual health unless you've lost your junk in an explosion or something. I vaguely remember an E8 getting angry with me over that issue, as if I was the one who wrote the schedule for disability or something. You could probably hit up mental health and get a dx of depression related to sexual function and/or chronic undefined pain fairly easily to tack on a bit of percentage, depending on the disposition of the Doctor. The key is to get a diagnosis that verbatim lines up with the schedule, so that nobody can bump it down to a lower level. Get every test you can get for the related symptoms, if you haven't already (it sounds like you have), since it's generally a lot easier to get things done at an MTF than a VAMC.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Elsa posted:

I would stay on top of that. Actually I doubt they have your records to provide you a copy from in the first place.

I'm pretty sure your active duty records were sent to either the national records center or your state's veteran records collection place. I designated this when I separated.

I can say from experience if you separated fairly recently from the Navy/MC this would work. The printed record is literally just a button away if all your poo poo is in in AHLTA/CHCS anyways, making the copy is just pushing a button. No idea how it would work for Air Force or Army.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Elsa posted:

If medical records are scanned and kept digitally now, that is great news. I'm impressed.

They definitely are for Navy, can't speak to Army or AF

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ace of Baes posted:

Turns out my bank doesnt count any benefits as income, so I need to actually go get a job to buy a house despite getting like $4,000 every month. In order to get approved for a loan.

I had this problem this summer. I needed a $2000 personal loan to tide me over a month in Philadelphia while I waited for GI Bill and student loans to kick in, but Navy Fed wouldn't approve me for poo poo because despite MHA being $2025/m here, all my income is in benefits and they don't count it as income. I ended up crashing on my GF's couch for a few weeks, but I'm not sure what I would have done if I was single.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

The problem is not taking the courses. It's paying for them AND affording rent. 4 credits is $6,500.

If you are definitely planning on going to graduate school a strategic use of subsidized loans might not be a terrible thing. If you are only taking 1-2 courses you could probably pick up a temporary/part time job and just pay cash for the classes and save the benefits for the more expensive full-time graduate semesters. I was lucky enough to get a job with the university hospital that had a two class per semester tuition credit when I was in that situation but I gladly would have dropped the five grand to finish up my courses and saved my benefit months for my grad program, which is $70k/y but full unlimited yellow ribbon.