Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
My understanding is that GI Bill and VR&E reduce each other's eligibility month-for-month, but VR&E has a total of 48 months available compared to GI Bill's 36.

Now that you can get BAH on VR&E, it's always better to be on VR&E if you can get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
If you have a rated disability you can do VR&E. They do an assessment to sort out what you'd be good at and happy doing, then train you to do it. Can range from setting up a blind guy to work at Skilcraft to sending a sleep apnea fatty to university to be a computer programmer to helping you buy a farm or fishing boat and go into business for yourself.

If you want to be a machinist, they'd probably send you to trade school.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
If you have any VA disability percentage coming, you're probably eligible for VR&E, which used to be called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment and is now something like Vet Readiness but everyone thinks it's dumb so most people just say VR&E.

It's a job counselling program that will also pay for university or whatever else they need to get you a job that you can do in spite of your disability rating. The important part is that you have some maximum amount of time (48 months) they'll pay for school (university, trade, flight, whatever) and it's independent of GI Bill time.

However, the reverse is not true, if you use GI Bill, it subtracts from the maximum amount of VR&E time you get. So if you use VR&E to get a bachelors' you can use GI Bill after for law school or whatever. You could also transfer your GI Bill to a dependent or whatever and still use VR&E.

USE VR&E FIRST

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I don't think VR&E expires but I'm not 100% sure about that. Post 9/11 GI Bill does expire, if you got out before January 1, 2013.

You can apply for extensions of your GI Bill delimiting date if your disabilities kept you from using it. I don't know how hard that is.

As far as I know, VR&E is almost always a better deal, since it's 100% of tuition & supplies (free laptop, books, tools, etc) plus housing stipend, and you get 48 months instead of 36, and you can apply for even more extra time if you have trouble along the way.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/eligibility/

I guess basic VR&E eligibility expires 12 years after you get out, but a "serious employment handicap" can extend that.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I didn't see the post, but you may as well leave it up so others can learn from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone have experience with getting an independent medical opinion for a VA disability claim? I'm putting together everything to submit babby's first disability claim and not surprisingly, I have three issues that were never documented (I didn't give a gently caress when I got out, I thought I was going back to the service in a few months, but thankfully I wised up). I'm getting buddy letters for everything and to validate that our med and mental health departments didn't document poo poo, but figure an IMO will probably be really, really helpful to validate my claim. Anything anyone can share about the process or their experience or that I should do XYZ instead appreciated.

I had good luck having my regular doc and shrink fill out the relevant DBQs, write an additional explanatory note, then turning them in with my claim.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_publicdbqs.asp