Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
OK, I'm at the end of my loving rope here:
I'm off active duty but still in the IRR.
What is the best way to get an either electronic or sealed paper/CD copy of my medical records in the shortest amount of time?
I need it for a job, and the VA records center won't help me because I separated after 2013.
I'm enrolled in eBenefits, but MyHealtheVet (gently caress that name very much) won't recognize my login.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

You...didn't make a copy of one of the most important documents you have before handing it to the goddamned VA? One of the most incompetent organizations on the planet?

Oh, I have my copy, but that isn't good enough for HR. They want a sealed, unopened copy, or the ability to download one direct from the VA/.mil, to be sure I haven't tampered with it. The VA records center says that everyone who separated after some time in 2013 has to access their records through eBenefits and won't help me, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to call up my records on eBenefits.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 16, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I more or less had to waive HIPPA and give their docs access to whatever they wanted. Because working for the government is not a right, and the law says they can do it. Trust me, I know what I'm doing and how insane it is.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

call me dumb but why does a job need unsealed medical records, that seems extreme to me.

You're telling me. Unfortunately, I don't think telling them that their process is insane bullshit will get me the job I've been working towards for over a year.

So do either of you guys know how to get med records on eBenefits? And/or have a phone number for the Air Force STR center?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

eBenefits is down. :downs:

Because of course it loving is on my one day off this week.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Elsa posted:

When I separated from active duty (both times), I elected to receive a copy of my medical records made by the hospital at my duty station. I am pretty sure I also did everything else correctly, all prior to 2013. I'm not sure how I would go about this so I made a call to my local Veterans Service Officer http://nvf.org/veteran-service-officers/

He said he's never heard of an employer requesting sealed medical records. He then told me I was looking for a form called SF-180. According to Archives.gov you can use either the SF-180 or eVetRecs

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Yeah, two weeks ago I mailed one of those to both the VA records management center and the AF STR processing center listed on the National Archives site for vet medical records. After getting no reply, and checking with the HR folks, who said they hadn't received anything, I called the VARMC, who said they didn't have my records because I separated after 12/31/2013, and that I needed to use eBenefits. I still haven't been able to find a way to contact the AF STR processing center. Presumably they are closed for training until the heat death of the universe.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
:lol: I just tried calling the National Archives on the phone, and after navigating their menu to the Veteran Records customer service section and pressing the button to connect to an operator, I get the message "We are sorry, but we are experiencing higher than normal call volume and cannot accept any new calls. Please try back later, or go to our website. *click*"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I need a cheap cell phone, so that I can spike it after I get hung up on by an automated phone menu system.

Actual solution: drove to my last duty station, to the base clinic, went into the records office, and asked the nice lady there to mail a copy. I still have no idea how to contact the Air Force STR center.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Elsa" popolicy="463247437 posted:

I would stay on top of that. Actually I doubt they have your records to provide you a copy from in the first place.

I'm pretty sure your active duty records were sent to either the national records center or your state's veteran records collection place. I designated this when I separated.
Y'know, at this point I would not be the least bit surprised, but she said she had access to the system they had been uploaded to, and it's not as if I have a ton of other avenues to explore at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Elsa posted:

I would stay on top of that. Actually I doubt they have your records to provide you a copy from in the first place.
Welp, they did it, got confirmation form the HR dept. So, if you recently separated, asking your last duty station to pull your records from ALTHA or whatever is a legitimate option.