Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So I've got a little over a month break between my last fall semester class before spring semester starts up, does anyone know if I am able to use the GI Bill to sneak in some flight training in that time? I really need to get my instrument instructor rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Godholio posted:

As I recall it's only good for ground school, not flight time unless that flight time is part of an actual college program.

It's a 141 school and is technically part of ERAU, so it does pay for flight time, so that's already sorted out. It's a military aero club too so I'm not too concerned with them doing shady poo poo like the helo schools were to get money.

I'm just not sure if I'm still technically considered "in school" during the winter break between today and January 19th. I'm definitely not getting BAH for those days, which leads me to believe I am not, but it's the VA so who knows.

I do know I can't double dip and do flight school at the same time as college, which is why I asked the question.

e:
After talking to the VA rep at my college and talking to the flight school, the answer to this question is yes.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 11, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Godholio posted:

:words:

The guy made a big deal over things that he had nothing directly to do with. It'd be like me, as a controller, taking credit for a successful HIMARS strike because I cleared the loving airspace of military aircraft. This guy turned on the radar and unless it broke, he sat there and read a book or watched movies on his laptop until it was time to power down. If it broke, he replaced a few computer cards until it started working, then went back to his movies.

Sounds like he'd make a great SNCO.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sarah posted:

Your BAH and tuition is still 100% covered if you fail a class.If you drop the class, you have to pay the tuition and BAH back, and you don't get the GI Bill prorated back to you for what you are paying back. So basically, if you feel like you're going to fail and you want to drop to save your GPA, it's going to cost you. So you get to decide if you want to pay it back or eat the failure. What a great system!

I did exactly this with a class I had an absolutely terrible professor in. Was going to drop it but it ended up making more sense to just fail it and retake it.

Retook the class with a better prof and got an A. The best part is the failure dropped off my GPA because I retook it and passed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yep looks like his training DD214, he was released from active duty to the reserves (USAR).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Soulex posted:

Anyone know a good place to get a suit that fits well and isnt goddamn a fortune? Cant find a suits for soldiers thing anywhere near me.

Goodwill/Salvation Army and a good tailor. A little patience you can get something nice, I got a $3000 suit for $50 plus another $80 for tailoring.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That’s a nice gesture but space-a has always seemed to be a lot more trouble than it’s worth. This isn’t the bygone era of the Cold War military when there were nearly empty hops all of the time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mr. Nice! posted:

So google your city vet center and give them a call. My local one can get people in same day a lot of times.

I had literally no idea this was an option, this is good info.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Huh, apparently I did this back in 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Wait the VA does dental? Just major surgeries or can you get like regular cleanings done there?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BUG JUG posted:

This is a dumb question but not entirely sure where I should ask and the internet isn't being helpful.

How do I -- formally -- address a retired naval officer in an email? Would the salutation read;

CDR. (Ret.) Name
Or
CDR Name?

I don't need the whole block of text denoting their branch and everything else, just the title. Usually I wouldn't worry about it, but in this case I'm writing from a job where I have a title (Dr.) and i feel I should extend the same courtesy. I'm leaning toward leaving out the Ret., but I fully expect to be wrong!

Mr.

Unless his being retired is relevant to the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hekk posted:

Yeah if you are inviting them to speak in their capacity as someone who held a military position, just address them as CDR Name.

:hmmyes: