Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

Turns out my bank doesnt count any benefits as income, so I need to actually go get a job to buy a house despite getting like $4,000 every month. In order to get approved for a loan.

Switch to USAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
You don't have an EGA on your neck?

How can I trust you to lobby for us?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
He's not fighting the VA he's fighting the Army or Navy or Air Force. His TDRL rating went from 70% to 10% after reevaluating.

Completely different ball of yarn from VA C&P ratings.

Do you have a VA C&P rating alongside your TDRL rating? Your supposed to get one before you separate medically these days but it gets hosed up all the time.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The only federally legal weed is grown at Ole Miss and tops out at like 6% THC and usually arrives in the form of mostly stems.

We have poo poo federally backed studies into Marijuana because of this setup.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
So just so I'm clear: I've never used my Post 9/11 GI bill, but I have used VR&E. If I continue to use VR&E only, when I'm done I'll not have used my Post 9/11 benefits at all and will still have 36 months remaining?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Jesus Christ this is too good of a deal to stay true.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
No.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Dude I’m 100% VA and 90% DoD and they still say I can work. You might not be able to roll that boulder up the hill. Also if your IU then VR&E is out the window, or at least can be, because it’s an employment program.

You might be better off trying to get a higher rating if you believe your more than 70% disabled. What conditions did you get a rating for and what % did they give you for them? Just look up the ratings guidelines and compare. If you think your more severely disabled than rated, knowing how and why and what they’re rating for will help. The standards are all published by the VA. Though it’s pretty dry reading.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
DAV tends to get good reviews from what I hear. May not be near by but could be worth the drive.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Patient Advocate, my man.

They have one, and they work for you. Sometimes called Ombudsman. Either way, get in contact with them- and they’ll help unfuck your poo poo.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Medlar posted:

Man I called them a while ago and that's how it was decided I'd change PCMs. Except it's up in the air now because no other ones are available until the end of summer. I think. Again I've had girlfriends in my 20s that were more communicative than the VA.

I only have the one card to play in this thread, and it’s the patient advocate. After that I’ll just invite you to come to Memphis and get baked.

Wanna get baked?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Sarah posted:

:ssh: I'm pregnant (currently 12 weeks now)

Congratulations! That’s great news!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

DoktorLoken posted:

I got denied for it but it made no difference on my overall rating so I didn't even bother appealing.

Same. I got rated 100% anyway so I didn’t appeal the couple of things they denied.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

all apologies posted:

Does anyone know if I get remarried after being put on PDRL (retired medically for good) does my new wife have access to tricare?

Wasnt sure, got divorced, removed her from DEERS. Hoping my new one is covered due to high risk pregnancy. Scary some and hoping for a yes on this.

Edit - Ex has been removed for years, got re-married....wondering if she gets Tricare upon marriage since im already out and retired?

Yes she’s eligible for TRICARE.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Any pitfalls you've found in using VA and private insurance concurrently?

The VA can and will bill your private insurance.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Has anyone here gone through the CRSC application process?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The only real difference between medically retiring and doing your 20 and retiring is the different way your retirement pay is calculated.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I used them for one of my re-val’s and their doc upped my rating for one of my claims, and the rest stayed the same.

5 stars, would recommend.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I grew beards every time I took leave. USAF.

You crayon eating fucks are just weird.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Time posted:

I left the army in 2011. No disability rating, but I have a Purple Heart which someone told me once meant I got medical care, maybe. Anyway I’m at an urgent care in the VA network right now and I’m wondering if the VA is going to send me a heinous bill because I gave them my Va Id for insurance

Your good. It’s extremely unlikely that they send you a bill. Just get better, brother.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

So, I had no idea 5 year review was a thing...

Yep. It’s easy least breezy usually. You just answer questions, make sure to note that your disability is still affecting you and if it’s worsened.

If you hold a rating for 20 years, they’ll leave you alone and you get to keep that rating for life. Clock starts from date of first claim submission.

I recently learned that 100% Permanent & Total vets can and do get re-evaluated as well. Just expect to have to do at least 4-5 reviews before your rating is permanent and the reviews stop.

They’ve been real big on reviewing PTSD vets. Which makes sense. Your poo poo knee is gonna always be poo poo, but you may possibly recover from PTSD even to a remarkable degree, or slightly. So I guess it kind of makes sense.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
KEEP TRICARE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

It’s the only real perk of medically retiring.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Holy poo poo!

“The Va” posted:

Dear Student,

Effective April 1, 2021, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will no longer count the use of Veterans Readiness & Employment (VR&E) benefits (chapter 31) against the 48-month limit on GI Bill education benefits such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The use of GI Bill education benefits will continue to count against the 48-month limit on VR&E benefits.

VA has started to process impacted claims and enrollments with this update, and you will receive a notification letter outlining whether you have more GI Bill entitlement available.

If you have any questions due to this issue, please contact the Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551, Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Central Time. You can also find more information on our website at: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

Respectfully,
Education Service

That’s big news.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

Thing is I don't want to stay here. If I can't find a job in the foreseeable future, and if I can't pass this aPHR exam, the idea is just to get my retirement pension and go to school in the Marietta, GA area.

Where I am now, E6 with dependents is 1,518. Marietta is 2,385. To me, it would make more sense to just enroll in school around Marietta, get my pension and buy a modest house.

Does that make any sense?

GI bill pays out E-5 With Dependents, unless I missed something and now it’s E-6?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

They don't count GI bill money as income, even though it literally is. I don't know how many more VA approved lenders are out there willing to make that risk, but I'm all ears.

My retirement is roughly 4K a month, and my wife makes multiples of what I do. USAA only gave me a VA home loan in a high cost area if my wife was a co-signer.

Do you have a spouse that has income? Or a family member willing to sign with you?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

DeeDee posted:

I can't take it any more. I keep seeing 100% SC kids under the age of 25 with no combat tours. I'M loving OVER IT.

What’s an SC kid? And 100% what? I apologize if those are dumb questions, but I didn’t really understand your post.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

DeeDee posted:

I can't take it any more. I keep seeing 100% SC kids under the age of 25 with no combat tours. I'M loving OVER IT.

It’s best to not dwell on others benefits. Everyone had a different path, and almost all of those paths lead to Uncle Sam breaking you somehow. Be happy for them that they’ll not be homeless or destitute veterans.

The military is happy to kill you, be happy to take all the money they can give you in return for the best years of your life and the inevitable disability that will come.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

You can work a watchfloor for a couple years straight where day in day out you’re monitoring drone footage or translating some of the worst conversations imaginable and just constantly slamming your brain with condensed misery, but sure it’s not a deployment so we should cap mental health issues at like 40% disability

It’s capped at 40%?! I’ve got 100% for my mental health issues.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

DaNerd posted:

They're being sarcastic.

Oh geez, sorry I haven’t had my morning coffee and cigarette. Thanks for explaining the joke to the idiot who didn’t get it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

To be fair, like, the first half of that 13 years weren't exactly moments of pride for us. We've all grown and matured, to an extent, at least.

We're all still dumb as hell for enlisting/commissioning. That's a disability qualification in and of itself.

Concur. Old shim would have dog piled on the “No deployment 25 year old 100%” types. But I’ve grown to learn better than that. I can understand the frustration, but you can’t tell what someone went through just because they have a high rating. Seems weird they have 100%? Well most of us gave 110% of ourselves to the military. Be happy that they’ll be taken care of, and have faith that you will too if you go through the process. I’d be happy to help you with your claim so you get what you are entitled to for your service, but you gotta let go of the anchor of judging others before you can fully be at peace with the system.

I hope this message finds you in good spirits DeeDee, I really do. If you want or need help, reach out. PM me or mail me at shimgip@gmail.com.

I can be a friendly ear to listen to what you say, and I can help you navigate the process of C&P. But try to let go of your animosity to other vets with high ratings. Deployment or not.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

Dummy Question: I should already know this, and I believe I'm reading correctly.

I retired as an E6 at 20 years. High 3 retirement. This is 2.5% times number of years in service, and the highest average basic pay for the last 3 years of service.

E6 basic pay is 4,297.20 a month, divided by 2, is 2,148.60 a month.

I should receive 2,148 a month for my pension, correct?

Kind of. It’s the average of your highest 3 years. Also you’ll be paying taxes on it. (Go get a VA rating for anything they broke on you, it’s tax free)

Congratulations on your admission to the Blue ID club- enjoy it, you earned it and it’s something to be proud of.

Hope that was useful, I haven’t had my caffeine yet.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

I got 0% for sinusitis when I got back from Iraq. I wonder if I can get an upgrade.

This just affects the presumption of service connection. If they rated you 0% but still service connected for it nothing much to change for you. Unless your sinusitis is disabling above 0% (easy to prove, I can link you to the ratings guideline.. you can see there if you deserve 0% or 10% or 30% or whatever) and also you had no service connection I’m afraid this isn’t an automatic ca-ching. If they service connected your sinusitis at 0% you’ve won half the battle, however.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
For some reason, the DoD rated me 90% disabled, and the VA rated me 100% P&T.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Hekk posted:

How many individual ratings do you have?

4 or 5 I think? 2 of them are 100% on their own with the VA. I don’t have my laptop with me so I can’t get into E-Benefits to see. The DoD gave me 90% instead of 100% but it makes no practical difference to me.

I got my ratings a long long time ago though.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

DoD will only rate you on your specific disabling condition. The VA probably rated you at 90% on whatever that specific item was originally as well.

Yeah, I’m not completely sure. I did get placed on the Temporarily Disabled Retirement List for my first year out of the military, then at my 1 year re-evaluation they made my retirement permanent at 90% with the DoD and 100% from the VA.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

life is killing me posted:

They do shingles shots? Shingles can gently caress right off, I need that shot

It’s not 100% effective but it’s pretty good. Did not work for me. I just keep Acyclovir and Gabapentin on hand. As soon as I feel the tingle of a coming outbreak I take the acyclovir. 90% of the time that keeps the outbreak in check. If it’s a painful outbreak I take the gabapentin because it seems to help with the shingles nerve pain. I don’t take it until I have pain from an outbreak, and it may or may not be a placebo affect, who knows.

Refilling Acyclovir every year is so funny because it’s herpes pills and I always feel judged.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
You may not have a good time with the VA loan process depending on your location. If your housing market is hot, you’ll find that all the inspections and contingency process puts you behind not just all cash offers but also most regular loans.

It worked great for me, but we waited until the market was a buyers market (Like 7 years ago) and we had a huge amount of cash (ok, $20k isn’t huge to some, but I’m like permanently enlisted in my mind so it’s a lot to me) in the event the appraisal was short. Luckily, we appraised $20k above asking, and we loving dove on this house.

So in short, VA loans are a land of contrasts. I hope you have success with yours. Just because it can be a pain doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be one. You can always try for a conventional home loan if you find the VA route is holding you back.

Best of luck man, your on an exciting and hopefully rewarding journey. Buying a house is a big grown up step in life, and I hope it goes well for you, brother.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

I'm medically retired at 70%. I was only in for 4.5 years, so I'm not RETIRED retired, just medically. I do not pay for Tricare. I think I have Tricare For Life or Tricare Prime?

Where in Missouri are you?

Also, you pay for Tricare, you probably just have an automatic allotment for it. If you receive your 70% Air Force retirement vice whatever your VA disability rating was, I can almost guarantee that’s the deal.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

BUG JUG posted:

I'm having him come talk about commanding the USS Constitution. So...again, maybe?

Cdr. [Name], is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

They're not military anymore so it's Mr. or Mrs/Ms.

I cannot fathom people call me sergeant anymore.

If my take is too obtuse, ask protocol. They'd know for certain as I'm sure it's codified in some obscure protocol manual regarding this exact topic.

Literally nobody but retired senior command E-9’s ever encounter the issue. Your right that it would be inappropriate for you as any old NCO. Similar to how any old officer instead of a former CO in relation to his time as CO doesn’t get the courtesy.

It’s been this way for a long time.