Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Do it, pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

zharmad posted:

Yeah, you can only be paid either drill/active pay or receive your VA compensation. The form is VA form 21-8951-2. I really only understand about this because I had a soldier who was picked up for a counter-drug 3 year tour, filed the form, they never processed it, and because he was 90%, 3 years ended up being like $30k or something ridiculous. I had to sign a bunch more forms and do memos to even get him on a payment plan.

edit: You only have to opt out for duty days, not the whole month. Essentially you give up 1 day of compensation for 1 day of full drill pay/active duty pay. It usually means you make more money taking the drill pay.

More like 48k if he is single with no kids.

It just gets juicier if they are married with kids.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

cult_hero posted:

Even if it's incorrect, it wasn't your fault they gave you that money and they'll usually just waive the debt in the off chance they actually go back and correct it.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Make poo sculptures.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The only thing they can take away from your va compensation for is GI bill over payment. They were taking 250 a month from my compensation for over a year because I quit going to school half way through a semester.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cenen posted:

Alright I’ve braced myself for the slew of posts calling me retarded but here it goes.

Is there any other perk to going through a ROTC program when I go to school at the end of my extended second enlistment other than having a guaranteed commission at the end? I’ve already saved a lot of money and have a couple decent investments and I’m coming out of the Air Force with my civilian certifications in respiratory therapy and of course the post 9/11 GI bill.

The way I see it is if I can just get some cushy back office job stamping forms for 10 years until I retired I’d be perfectly fine with that. I’m just looking to see if there are any pros/cons to going ROTC or just trying to go to OTC when I finish school.

I won’t have a lot of time when I come back from this deployment to go through TAPS. So I’m just trying to get as much info now as I can while sitting out here between Iraqis getting their limbs blown off.

AN ROTC program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

If a civil affairs guy can get a 70% ptsd rating, you should be fine