Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Looking at buying a house. It seems like the VA loan (no PMI, no down payment but we're doing one anyway, a 2.2% interest rate) is ...almost universally better than a conventional loan? After years of GI Bill overpayments and missed payments, I can't believe that anything VA-related could actually be good? What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for all the info, fellas. It's already helping a lot for us planning our way forward. :cheerdoge:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Wish I had something useful to tell you, but man I couldn't even navigate the GI bill without agony let alone what you're going through. Good luck, sincerely hope they get their act together.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

McNally posted:

I shared the good news with my case worker at Manchin's office and she told me she spoke with the VA today and they are currently reviewing my case. Fingers crossed this gets resolved soon.

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm a GS employee now :)

Both of these are awesome. Good luck fellas

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just following up, thanks for all the info on the VA loan stuff back in October. Closing took a long time on account of a new septic installation, but we finally got it done in early December and just moved in a couple of weeks ago. We ended up not going with the VA because of the extra red tape and the insane housing market up here (new england), but everyone's advice pointed us in the right direction :tipshat:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
We ended up putting 10k down. 20% was out of our reach, but even with just 10k we ended up with a mortgage that's only a few hundred higher than our previous rent (and will probably be equivalent to rent in a few years, the way things are skyrocketing up here).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
^^ That's great advice and in line with my experience buying a home late last year. I wanted to go VA because I'd heard so much about the benefits (like no PMI), but the added red tape would have made a purchase more difficult, if not impossible. In the end we were able to go with a traditional loan that was still in our price range.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

MonkeyWash posted:

Just a reminder, if you have been exposed to burn pits or radiation be aware of any changes in your health, or any lumps in your neck. The PACT Act now covers a number of presumed illnesses.

What level of radiation are we talking about? Like on a scale from hanging out in an armory with tritium sights to using depleted uranium rounds?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Got a letter recently that I'm eligible to enroll directly in VA healthcare due to the PACT Act. Letter says once I sign up I have it for life, and that "signing up for VA healthcare will not impact your ability to contine seeing your current providers using your current insurance." I already have insurance (with premiums covered by my job). Is there any downside to signing up for this?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, it's a pretty okay job, gov contracting, so it's full of bullshit sometimes, and the pay isn't super great, but I've been sticking around because covering those premiums is a hell of a deal.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The PACT Act says that granulomatus disease is now presumptive. I got an X-ray and a CT scan a couple years ago that found I have granulomatus disease. However, it isn't a disability, like I don't have any major breathing problems or anything, and it isn't getting worse. Just a bunch of nodules in my lungs. Does that qualify for a VA disability claim? If so, and they send me to a C&P, would it even be worth my time to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Are you rated right now? I know nothing about how your specific condition would be rated but like you should be able to get to least 10 or 20% at the very, very least. I’ve heard mixed things but I had a great help from the DAV they got me rated a lot higher than I think I “should” be based on stuff in my records I didn’t even remember

No, I'm not rated. After the VA hosed me with overpayment (and then collections) on my GI Bill, I didn't want anything to do with them and haven't had anything to do with them in 15 years. Then I saw a PACT Act notice they sent me in the mail and it got me wondering if it was worth trying for a claim. Like, I'm not expecting anything.

Wrong Theory posted:

I am not a lawyer nor do I work for the VA. If I remember correctly a big thing with the PACT act was you had to have a presumptive exposure to burn pits or other toxic substances. Do you have something like that? (from https://www.va.gov/resources/the-pact-act-and-your-va-benefits/)

Yep, I have presumptive exposure (OIF I, was around Camp Commando, Chesty, Viper, etc.) from March to October 2003.

quote:

I think it would absolutely be worth it to go. I don't know if they would give you a percentage without some sort of symptoms but even a 0% means that they will take care of it (lol) if you end up requiring surgery or something later in life. And if it does become symptomatic (I don't know the disease, sorry) you can always get it bumped up. But there could be a set disability percentage tied to it, I don't know. Sorry, just my thoughts. Also tell them you have tinnitus because you have tinnitus.

fake edit: Quick google search of "granulomatous disease va rating" from some random blog says : Diagnostic code 6524 is used for granulomatous rhinitis, which is in the nasal cavity. It is rated at 100% for Wegner's granulomatosis or lethal midline granuloma, which are severe cases, and 20% for other types of granulomatous infections.

Could be an automatic 20%, add another 10% for tinnitus. And all the disabled bennies you can get like shopping at commissaries with a big ole beard or womanly equivalent.

I do actually have tinnitus. Never had it diagnosed or anything but I do have slight ringing in my ears (right worse than left). Probably from live fires as an 81mm mortarman. I guess I can note that. Thanks!

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 1, 2024