Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

What if I have a VA rating for grinding my teeth? Will it only cover night guards or can other dental fall into that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

- I'm apparently entitled to VA healthcare now. I pay for Blue Cross at work, but apparently this is free and I satisfies the Obamacare "we'll fine you if you don't have insurance" clause. Should I drop my insurance for the VA? There's always horror stories in the news that you get what you pay for with the VA hospitals...

Have you ever had a dude try to sell you phone accessories out of a backpack at a normal hospital?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Are you looking to start school in the Fall?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Ryand-Smith posted:

I'd like to, if not its "welp sit on my rear end and do nothing but work part time for 3 months"

Have you called the lovely community college and explained the situation?

Also, there's no shame in having some downtime between getting out and starting school. I had almost four months between getting out and starting school, kind of gave me a chance to clear my brain. Traveled around a bit, visited friends and family I hadn't been able to see, that sort of deal.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm getting ready to separate in May after 8 years of active duty. During this time I have developed some serious pains in my foot and have received treatment and also twice received prescription orthotics. Basically my foot is seriously hosed up from 8 years of sea duty walking around on steel decks in boots. I am currently on deployment and unable to see a podiatrist until January.

Do I stand a chance to receive some kind of benefit for my foot? If so what do I need to do document this?

Also those who have hearing loss what is the process like at the VA?

If you have been seen for it and it is documented in your medical record, you should be able to claim it. When you get back on shore, make an appointment with a VSO rep to discuss benefits. When I got out, there was a DAV rep who worked at the F&FSC on base that helped me out a lot. Get medical to make a paper copy of your medical record and bring it to the benefits rep for your appointment. Go through, in detail, everything you want to claim and show the rep where it is documented in your record. The rep will then mail your record to the VA and you'll eventually get called about appointments with various civilian doctors to assess your condition. Odds are, if your foot is hosed up and there's paper to document it, you'll get a rating.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Anybody familiar with retroactive induction? Saw it on the VA website yesterday and it looks like I can get back my GI Bill time by having it reclassified as VR&E. I graduated and got a job so I’d be claiming completion of the full VR&E plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Dominoes posted:

Hi all! I think this may be a good place to ask! I am trying to file for disability compensation. The form 21-526EZ implies I need to be treated at a VA facility. I was treated while in the military, but not by the VA.

I have been trying to set up an appointment, and have called many national and local VA and VA/medical phone numbers, but they all act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. This is really frustrating and a little surprising, since this seems like it should be a routine request. Where would you start? Thank you!

I recommend talking to a DAV representative, they will help you with your case and tell you what info to provide. If the VA tries any shenanigans, they will represent you and file paperwork and appeals on your behalf.

https://www.dav.org/