Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Does the VA have a central database for your address?

Let me explain this stupid situation.

I never got an ID card made when I got out. I got one made at an appointment at the local in/out patient facility here over a month ago, but it has to get printed at the main facility about 90 minutes away, then mailed to you.

Did that. Told them what address to send it to, and went on my way. I never got it, I called and asked, they said it wasn't released yet.. or something, and the lady told me she released it and it would be sent to my house. I even confirmed the address they had again.

Had another appointment there last week. Asked them the status on my ID card. They said it wasn't released yet... or something (yes, again). So the lady released it or whatever and I confirmed, face to face, that they had my address.

About four days later my mom called me and told me that she got my ID card three states over.

This has been happening ever since I enrolled in the VA, and every time I call I change my address. I've changed it on eBenefits as well (everything on eBenefits is current to where I live now). But my Aunt still sends me appointment slips every now and then.

Seriously, who the gently caress do I need to call to get my address sorted out? It's not so much that they are sending me anything important that I need ASAP, but they might in the future, and I don't think my Aunt or Mom still needs to be sorting my mail if I have a perfectly good mailing address.

Also, what is the book stipend time table? Is it $1000 for January-December, from Fall semester to the end of the Summer semester?

Cole fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Delizin posted:

Nope. At least it seems like each VA office has their own database that they copy you into. Even my clinic and the hospital it falls under had two different addresses for me at one point. When you update your address you need to contact every single part of the VA that you do any business with separately to inform them and even then it's not guaranteed that it will be updated everywhere in their system.

When they were doing the choice cards I didn't get mine for awhile because they had my address from when I was still in the military, more than 12 months out of date and updated with every part of the VA I had interacted with, and they thought I had a VA clinic with 10 miles of my house instead of the actual 140 miles it was to nearest clinic.

oh jesus christ

this is how people die

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Can I get lasik at the VA and if I can how big of a risk is lasik in the hands of the VA?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Delizin posted:

The VA only performs lasik in very specific circumstances that makes it medically necessary to have corrective surgery instead of glasses/contacts. Tricare doesn't cover it either.

However, I did come across this article from a few years back: http://www.news-medical.net/news/20091209/LCA-Vision-to-provide-free-corrective-vision-surgery-to-US-military-veterans.aspx

I have no idea if this program is still ongoing, what kind of lasik they provide or what the qualifications are, but I am thinking about calling them up to get some more details after the holidays. I was planning on paying for lasik out of pocket, so that could be a nice alternative.

For the best results from lasik you want to make sure that whoever is performing the surgery is doing it will all lasers and use a machine to measure your eye to find all the imperfections and then correct them. A lot of places call this wavefront technology or custom lasik, but it probably has other names as well. If you get the older style lasik it is a more generic procedure that is based on your prescription so the results can vary a lot more.

Definitely let us know. My vision isn't horrible, but it is bad enough that I can't read the board at school even from the front row.