Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Oh I understand that it's a lot faster to bang out some classes in these mini-mesters, but is it worth it to burn 4 weeks of blood money for one 3 credit course?

You have to crunch the numbers and figure out the total value you can extract from your GI Bill for a 4 week course - we can't do this for you because we don't know your tuition, whether your school is Yellow Ribbon, your school's zip code for BAH, or what kind of program you would be potentially saving benefits for in the future. Find all of those numbers and determine the dollar value of your GI Bill for a 4 week course. (Tuition benefit, housing allowance, probably not book stipend).

You can convert this info into a benefit-dollar/credit hour ratio or something like that. Now, is your benefit burn rate worse than it usually is during the school year? If so, it may be worth paying with cash, especially if you KNOW you've got years of schooling ahead of you and want to use your GI Bill conservatively.

Example: I did a 10 week summer course as an undergraduate and used my GI Bill. I wish I had paid out-of-pocket, because I now go to school in an expensive city and my benefits would have been more valuable because of the housing allowance alone.

Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

blue squares posted:

I'm signing up for a teaching certificate program at my school. For the summer stuff, I want to use Hazlewood instead of GI Bill so I don't use up all my benefits before I graduate, and the summer stuff includes a paid internship. Can I do that?

Also, just keeping folks updated on the saga of blue squares, I am now teaching weekly creative writing courses in a jail in my area.

You can elect to use GI Bill benefits whenever you want, though I don't know how the program interacts with Hazelwood. I submitted a question to the VA asking whether I could elect to only use GI Bill benefits during fall semesters and they said it's fine. Just make sure your school certifying knows NOT to certify you for a certain term, especially if they have been johnny-on-the-spot and doing it automatically for a few terms.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I just received the following email from VA-ONCE@vba.va.gov

(removed my university info)

quote:

A Termination for the reason Graduation for the period beginning on 01/14/2015 and ending on 05/11/2015 has been submitted to the VA. This was submitted by a certifying official from the UNIVERSITY OF XXX VETERANS COORDINATOR on 9/2/2016. Congratulations on your accomplishment! Your claim will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this message.

This email is referencing my undergrad studies, and I'm at graduate school right now and still using GI bill benefits.

Is something weird about to happen to my benefits?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Strip mall next to an Olive Garden

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Anyone else exhaust their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits? This was my last term using the bill and my remaining entitlement months is at 0.

I had 1200 dollars pop into my checking account and I'm assuming it's the MGIB refund, but the VA website says that check is supposed to come with the final housing payment.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

TBeats posted:

Your remaining months is 0, but if you even have 1 day left you get it for an entire semester, so make sure you check that.

Until you know for sure, don't spend that money on anything except open heart surgery or some other emergency.

Yeah, I'm definitely at 0 remaining benefits. I've been using them sparingly for 2 years and entered this term with only a month left.

The 1200 has got to be the MGIB refund-- too much for the book allowance, not enough for housing, dunno.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

not caring here posted:

Wait, what? If I burn up all my GI bill benefits are start a semester with 1 day left they'll pay for the whole semester? That include the stipend as well?

Yes. Entering a new semester with just 1 day gets you full benefits for the entirety of the semester. If you're smart about your benefit usage and have a lot of remaining school you can stretch your GI bill quite a bit, especially if you slide into a new semester with >1 day remaining.

Side note about a situation where you may want to temporarily stop using benefits in the middle of your education: The GI Bill will only pay 22k towards tuition PER YEAR. If you hit that cap during the fall semester (as I do with medical school) then it's in your interest to have your school's certifying official NOT certify your attendance for the spring semester. You turn off your GI bill. Then you get recertified in the fall. The only downside is you're not getting the housing allowance for half of the year, but this ensures you're never burning benefit months without receiving that juicy tuition benefit. I've done this for 3 years now which has netted me about 66k in tuition benefits

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
My 3rd academic year started super early (July 10th) which incidentally fell into the previous academic year as defined by the VA (8/1 to 7/31). I had already maxed out my tuition benefit money with the GI Bill during that year. Basically, I just got boned out of 22k by burning a semester's worth of benefits when I was certified from 7/10 to 12/22.

I don't suppose anyone else has ever had this unusual situation?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Howard Phillips posted:

My school just told me that I need to pay my student health insurance and that the VA won't pay it under Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Is this correct?

I've been googling all morning trying to find official verbiage on whether student health insurance is covered under Post 9/11 GI Bill. Seeing as how I am required to have insurance under ACA/Individual mandate, I feel like the GI Bill should cover it. It's a hefty bill at $2700.

Nah, that's not right. I don't know the particulars of your school/situation, but you have health insurance covered by the VA. This is entirely separate from the Post 9/11 GI Bill so you're not going to find any documentation about health insurance. So technically your school is correct in the sense that Post 9/11 GI Bill won't pay for your health insurance, but again it's an entirely different thing.

You just need to enroll at your local VA and you'll have insurance. As a student with very little or no income, the care will be free.

Every year when I waive the student health insurance, I just notify them that I am covered through the VA and all parties move on until the next year when I again waive the student health insurance.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
You need to separate from your mind the GI Bill and health insurance - they are not at all related and you're making things very complicated for yourself. Speaking to the VA people that run the GI Bill won't get you anywhere because they don't have anything to do with healthcare, and vice versa. Sure, you can use any refund money you get from excess scholarships/benefits to buy a high-speed platinum health insurance plan, but neither the school nor the VA GI Bill are involved in that.

All vets are eligible for VA care, as far as I know. It's been very useful to me as a perpetual student that doesn't make any money. You are just means tested to determine what amount you'll be paying for co-pays. If you're a student you won't have to pay anything unless you have some lucrative side-job giving you a steady income.

Howard Phillips posted:

I wasn't aware that I was eligible for VA health coverage. I was told at TAPS that since I was voluntarily separating I wasn't eligible for any coverage.

I also voluntarily separated from a 5 year enlistment and go to the VA for my annual physical and have a regular doctor there.

Contact your local VA tomorrow morning and get enrolled ASAP. Then call your school's health office and tell them you are enrolled at the VA and need to be waived from their other requirements. It won't be any kind of new, complicated process for them-- I'm sure UVA has tons of vets.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
When it comes to dealing with the bureaucracy, you have nothing to gain by admitting to any dabbling with marijuana, alcohol, anything.

If you're verbally communicating with your actual doctor-- sure. But forms don't need to have any of that poo poo on it

edit: reread your post and I'm not actually responding to anything in particular, it seems. oh well