Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Am I correct that 100% GI Bill will cover 100% of tuition of an MBA program as long as it's at a public University? I ask because they're expensive though I believe the tuition cap is only for private and foreign schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to apply for an MBA program round 2 and starting in Fall 2020 or waiting until Round 1 to start in Fall 2021 to improve my application. Studying for the GMAT has been on and off this year due to spending 4 months in the field during a 9 month period.

I have 100% GI Bill that would cover this particular schools MBA program.

However if I wait to apply round 1 for Fall 2021 start date, I'll be turning 34 when I start the program and about to turn 36 when I graduate. Most of my junior CPT peers on the other hand are late 20s going into an MBA.

My GMAT score isn't where I want it to be in order to offset my 2.9 GPA, I'm trying to get a 700+ but studying off and on between field exercises only got me to the mid 600s.

I'm in my final 2 months of active duty and I don't THINK they're going to send me to the field again so I've been studying hard but I don't know if I can pull off a 700 before round 2 closes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm not at all interested in being a lawyer or anything legal related.

I'm interested in an MBA because it's essentially a guaranteed 6 figure income, especially the program I want to get into.

Plus I like managing people/teams and I think I'm pretty good at it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I have the Veritas Prep online GMAT study guide which is like $700. They do admissions advising too, discount for already having the GMAT prep course.

I'm thinking of applying for the evening MBA as well, same degree but easier to get into but takes a year longer to get.

I'll be able to work while doing it though, which would be nice. Even with 100% GI bill I'm pretty sure I'd still have to get a loan unless I wanted to live like a pauper or dip into my savings or investments.

Seattle isn't as expensive as the Bay Area but it still ain't cheap by any means.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Anyone got any recommendations on where to look for info on civilian health care as an unemployed vet? Have not been assessed or filed a claim for disability yet, my appointment in April was cancelled for obvious reasons. I know I have one year from my ETS date (March 2020) to file for it and receive back pay dating back to my ETS date. Have several years worth of medical records for my lower back.

Getting out I was expecting to get a plan through my employer but looks like I'm probably going to be unemployed for a while. Health care plans in general just seem super confusing on what exactly I'm getting, paying or comparing plans.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've never received any kind of combat pay, never left the states.

I haven't applied for the VA benefits yet because I was under the impression having a disability rating of some kind heavily increases your chances of being accepted. Or at least that's my understanding from the VA benefits class I had to go to.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nope, never even heard of it. Checking it out now. Thanks!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I managed to find a 2 bedroom apartment a few miles from UW Seattle for about $1200 less than the BAH I'll get there($2800), pretty excited I found this place.

I was able to keep saving/investing while on unemployment and will be able to keep doing that while using my GI Bill too. Feeling pretty deserving of that old welfare queens gang tag.

Wish everyone had access to the same resources I have, all the social welfare/veteran's benefits have worked pretty loving fantastic for me. If I had moved back to FL instead of stay in WA I would have had to bleed through my savings.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What have you guys done for Dental Insurance while a student using the GI Bill? The VA is my primary healthcare provider. I had a dental visit shortly before getting out of the Army so I know I'm not eligible for that one paid for visit I remember from the VA brief.

My teeth aren't bothering me or anything but I'd like to get back to having yearly checkups and cleanings.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks for the info everyone, got on the waitlist for my school for an appointment late October/early November. Will just pay out of pocket for this first one I guess.

Maybe this country will have a sane healthcare system by the time I'm an old man.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm doing two short term study abroad tours next year and I have to pay about $5k in fees next month, they have associated classes but they're not until next year and I won't be registered for them until then. I have 100% GI Bill, does it usually cover/reimburse you for fees for things like studying abroad? It's all done through my university, so there's no having to worry about paying a foreign school or anything.

They're essentially electives I'm taking where at the end of each quarter we spend a couple weeks in each classes' respective country.

I sent an email to my school's veterans office but figured I'd ask here too.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yep, that's what it looks like. Found this on my schools FAQ.

quote:

Can I do Study Abroad?
The ability to use your VA benefits while pursuing a study abroad program is very limited. Please make sure to check with our office before enrolling in a study abroad program. The VA will only cover UW faculty-led programs. You will not be able to use your VA education benefits for direct exchange programs or third party programs such as CIEE, SIT, and IES. If you are attending a UW faculty-led program, you are able to use your benefits, assuming your courses are required for your degree program, either as core requirement(s) or as elective credit(s). Your monthly housing stipend will be based on your enrollment at the UW and the actual dates for the program.

If you are using Post 9/11 benefits, the benefits will not cover any fees associated with the study abroad, unless the study abroad option is mandatory for your degree program. It will not cover any costs related to travel, or third-party charges. The benefits will cover the instructional cost for the study abroad program. Please note that this will be different from the study abroad charge as posted on your MyUW.

I'm using post 9/11 benefits, and these are electives for me so it looks like it won't cover those fees. Sucks I'll have to pay $5k($7k with flights) out of pocket but I think it's worth it for the experience, especially considering they're probably one of the only things I'll end up paying for out of pocket during 2 years of grad school.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The VA says I owe them money because my education benefits were adjusted "due to non-entitlement". What the gently caress does that mean? I have 100% post 9/11 GI Bill.

I look at the letter and it says the amount is $250 but the VA website says $83. So which one is right?

Sounds like a load of poo poo to me though, and something the VA hosed up on their end. Really, how hard can it be to pay the bill given by the school?

edit: I also had to download the letter, it's dated 17 December but I never got an email about it or anything in the mail.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 10, 2022

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

I ended up having to call TriWest directly and they called to find out what the bill was for. Apparently there are other billing departments within the same hospital 'umbrella' and they didn't get the word to bill TriWest not me.

I know a lot of people don't, but I love the VA and they have always taken care of me.

I got a year and a half of physical therapy for my lower back from the VA and didn't have to pay a dime. Wish I had received this kind of care while I was in the Army.

I'm in priority group 2, it seems like I can more or less use the VA as my primary healthcare provider for the rest of my life?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone done a tinnitus / hearing claim? I was in artillery, and while I did use hearing protection, I think I have tinnitus and maybe some hearing loss, though stuff like that is difficult to pinpoint as it's a progressive thing, but I was wondering as to how the process goes and how they diagnose tinnitus.

They'll send you to a civilian clinic to do a hearing test and be evaluated by a audiologist. I have tinnitus but my test didn't show any kind of hearing loss, the doctor said something about the test doesn't cover all of the sounds (can't remember the term) a human ear is capable of hearing, or something like that anyway. I never had any record of hearing issues in the Army but I still got 10% for tinnitus after this evaluation.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What did the VA do that completely broke MyHealthyVet? It worked fine the first 2 years I was out of the Army but I got an email today saying I have a new message there and I cannot login to save my life. The website fails to load properly, tells me there's some issue with my browser (there isn't) and to log out and try again. If I do manage to login succesfully it logs me out if I click my messages inbox, or it reloads the MyHealthyVet home page only it has once again failed to load properly.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Still busted. Restarted computer, restarted modem, tried it on my laptop and cell phone. Doesn't matter which browser I use, same thing happens. I'll get to the MyHealthyVet home page, click messages, and it reloads the homepage only this time it's a broken and improperly loaded page.

Constantly makes me sign in again if I click any links that actually work, as if I'm not actually signed in.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Last month I finished my 2 year grad school program and I just checked with the VA and I have over half of my GI Bill benefits left.

What are some interesting ways to put this to use part-time or on the weekends? Definitely not going to be going back to school as a fulltime student again.

First thing that comes to mind to me is something art or culinary related, since they're hobbies of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I requested an appointment on myhealthevet for my closest VA clinic (Edmonds) for today and never received a phone call from the clinic to schedule an appointment. Online it shows my request as "pending" still.

I'd really like to start physical therapy again because my back has been bothering me a lot lately.

In the past when I call the number to request an appointment they always want to send me to the American Lake VA campus because the Seattle one is "full". I think it's ridiculous that they expect me to have a hospital that's over an hour away as my primary location.

Is there a better way to schedule an appointment or change my primary care location? I'd love to go to the Edmonds clinic because it's like 15 minutes tops from my apartment.