Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davincie posted:

thats nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
My first was probably Pokemon or something else like that. But my first anime that I knew was anime was Inuyasha, and I was super into it.

I am ashamed of my past.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Xinder posted:

My first was probably Pokemon or something else like that. But my first anime that I knew was anime was Inuyasha, and I was super into it.

I am ashamed of my past.

Inuyasha is cool.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I would disagree looking back on it, personally. I just can't figure out what I saw in it. Besides pretty boys, of course.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Girls, swords, bows, demons. What more could you want?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
DBZ but my first 'holy poo poo anime is pretty cool' experience was JoJo

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Spanish dub of DBZ. I didn't speak Spanish. Seeing an alien frog vomit a beam of light into Bulma's mouth was a surreal experience.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Soul Reaver posted:

The problem is that I was so young that I actually have very little recollection of which anime was the first one I watched. All of the following are possible candidates:

Heidi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fffb078iXU

Maja (Maya) the Bee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mCm7V7Jxo

Nils Holgersson (this was a pretty drat awesome show)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWrCKqGdN4M

Mine was probably one of these too. Either that, or some Toei stuff like Sinbad since I can remember the toei cat really well. I wish my memory was better :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eonwe posted:

Congratulations on winning Normie Post of the Year.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Please don't normal-shame in this thread.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

In Training posted:

You know, just because some of us got into anime because of really loving nasty poo poo that might have inflicted lasting psychological harm doesn't mean other people deserve poo poo flung at them for not. :arghfist::saddowns:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Over here we would get uncensored Mexican (and sometimes Spaniard) dubbed anime fairly regularly so I was like 7 when I was watching Cobra, Ruronin Kenshin and Ranma 1/2. All uncensored at 6 o clock in the morning.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thyrork posted:

You know, just because some of us got into anime because of really loving nasty poo poo that might have inflicted lasting psychological harm doesn't mean other people deserve poo poo flung at them for not. :arghfist::saddowns:

What

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I watched sailor moon when I was three years old. I was corrupted earlier than most.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

In Training posted:

Sorry, but Normie Tier is Sailor Moon*, followed by DBz (not the Toonami run, but the Endless Snake Way Repeats Cloverway run) and possibly a "WTF was this crazy poo poo in Akira" chaser.

* sub Robotech or Voltron as needed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This, of all threads is a very silly thread for any kind of normie calling.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

a kitten posted:

This, of all threads is a very silly thread for any kind of normie calling.
One of my students said that One Piece was her first anime, so Normie is as much a state of mind as a generational thing.
:ssj:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a difference than "normal" and "normie", people. Smh.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Iria: Zeiram the Animation was the first time, I think, that I realized that anime was of superior quality to cartoons I was watching at the time. That was on Sci-fi...when the heck was that anyway?

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Xinder posted:

I am ashamed of my past.

I feel your shame, for it is mine as well.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Inuyasha is cool.

Inuyasha was great for making my sister and I laugh like maniacs at absolutely nothing because it was like 1AM and we were exhausted from an airplane trip.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Voltron, which I loved, but my first realization that Some of These Cartoons Are Not Like the Others was Robotech -- in particular the 2nd third, derived from Southern Cross. Just the idea that cartoons could have things happen that changed the status quo and have an ending was huge to 6-year-old me. After that, while I didn't understand that they were from Japan, I would at least try and watch any cartoon that I recognized as having that look.

I didn't learn what was going on, and didn't hear the term "anime," until Sci-Fi first ran some -- I want to say VHD. All downhill since then.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Beasteh posted:

hosed up hentai when I was like 13 :whatup: (La Blue Girl)

Same but Cool Devices on Kazaa. :hf:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The Fox dub of Totoro when I was 5. Then I went into a reflexive hate anime phase from 1995 until 2003 (it was all obviously Satanic you see, just like the banned-in-my-house Pokemon). Then it was .hack//SIGN and Rurouni Kenshin all day, erryday. As far as manga, I got into that through Rurouni Kenshin and the Ranma 1/2 volumes at the local library.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
First time seeing anime was a rental VHS of Starzinger dupped in finnish when I was around 8 to 10. drat that poo poo kicked rear end especially since it wasn't really censored from what I remember. Oh and the few first episodes of Galaxy Express 999. I think I didn't sleep too well after those, didn't the first episode have the kids mom get killed by robots in what was really an english fox hunt? Followed by the kid killing the poo poo out of them in revenge?

Checking what others had posted saw Nils Holgerson being mentioned and realised that might have been true first contact, along with Moomin. But I don't know if can personally call them anime since the source material was originally from western countries. They don't feel anime to me at all.

Zernach fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 7, 2015

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

First technically anime was Mysterious Cities of Gold when I was a kid, I figured out at the time that there was something 'different' about it compared to what was also on at the time. But when I knew what anime was years later it was stuff they aired on the Sci-Fi and other channels in the late 90's.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Eonwe posted:

The lord has posted :worship:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

There's a difference than "normal" and "normie", people. Smh.

I bet you're a real weird guy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Technically the old rear end speed racer, then dragonball and samurai pizzacats in the mornings before school but I wasn't even aware they were anime at the time. The first thing I knew was "Anime" was ninja scroll. Teletoon, the canadian equivalent of cartoon network I guess, had this thing during the summers where they used to air higher rated animated films and poo poo in the middle of the night and since it was summer I could stay up late to watch them! So the first one I caught was ninja scroll and all that blood and animated titty is pretty cool when you're a kid. Macross Plus came after it and I still love that one if just for the last jet fight.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

First technically anime was Mysterious Cities of Gold when I was a kid, I figured out at the time that there was something 'different' about it compared to what was also on at the time. But when I knew what anime was years later it was stuff they aired on the Sci-Fi and other channels in the late 90's.

I somehow didn't know that that was an anime until reading your post, but it was by far my favorite cartoon as a kid. Get up at 5AM every day to watch the power block of MCoG and Mister Wizard,

I guess that makes it my first anime as well, since the only other candidates would have been been when I was subjected (by my little brother) to Dragonball and Sailor Moon 10 years later.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Speed Racer, i remember being like 5 and super pissed he was spending time on his mystery brother and not on racing the poo poo out of the Mach 5.

But for getting back into anime, it was GITS:SAC. Still one of my favorites, its so good. Thanks crazy sophomore year roommate

Edit: Just remembered watching Tenchi on the recommendation of a friend in elementary school because I liked DBZ. Every episode of that I ever caught was the boringiest poo poo ever.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 8, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kytrarewn posted:

I somehow didn't know that that was an anime until reading your post, but it was by far my favorite cartoon as a kid. Get up at 5AM every day to watch the power block of MCoG and Mister Wizard,

I guess that makes it my first anime as well, since the only other candidates would have been been when I was subjected (by my little brother) to Dragonball and Sailor Moon 10 years later.

A lot of 80's early morning cartoon stuff was either straight up anime or animated in Japan to the point where shows like He-Man used to have a weird racist 'made in America by Americans' disclaimer in it.

E: actually that might have been BraveStar

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

A lot of 80's early morning cartoon stuff was either straight up anime or animated in Japan to the point where shows like He-Man used to have a weird racist 'made in America by Americans' disclaimer in it.

E: actually that might have been BraveStar

same but continuing into the mid 2000s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zernach posted:

First time seeing anime was a rental VHS of Starzinger dupped in finnish when I was around 8 to 10. drat that poo poo kicked rear end especially since it wasn't really censored from what I remember. Oh and the few first episodes of Galaxy Express 999. I think I didn't sleep too well after those, didn't the first episode have the kids mom get killed by robots in what was really an english fox hunt? Followed by the kid killing the poo poo out of them in revenge?

Checking what others had posted saw Nils Holgerson being mentioned and realised that might have been true first contact, along with Moomin. But I don't know if can personally call them anime since the source material was originally from western countries. They don't feel anime to me at all.

Yeah that first 999 episode is hosed up. The kid unloads lazer rifles on the attackers and kills like 6 people.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Moomin and then pokemon

although i didnt really give a poo poo about manga or anime until i borrowed the battle angel alita collection from a friend of my mom, that was what doomed me

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I Mummidalen (aka Moomin). I was probably around 4-5 years old.

I didn't know it was an anime until I got older and browsed Moomin on Wikipedia.

Pokémon and Digimon Adventure were my second and third animes that I liked after that. T'was around the Pokémon craze and I began to notice similiarities in terms of style that they used (but still didn't get me interested in the specific type of style).

What got me into realizing that there was a style called anime (and manga) though was a manga named Ranma 1/2 that I began to read in my teen years. Both me and my sister loved that manga.

What actually got me into aggressively pursuing manga and anime to watch and read though was Love Hina (got me interested in manga) and School Rumble (read it when I was looking for other manga I could read, then I watched the anime and I got hooked into finding more to watch and more series that was animated that I could watch.) I was around 17 at the time.

So you could say I had a lot of false starts.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

First ever was apparently named Dash Kappei, but on Italian TV when I was somewhere around 6? I say 'apparently' because until just now when I looked it up I remembered it as Gigi La Trotola. Some bits of the theme song are among my earliest indistinct memories, probably because I used to sing it on long car trips to annoy my sister:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YrC0lDC48E

In more living memory, Robotech when I was 8 or so? Then, at some point for no particular reason that I recall, my Dad rented Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer from Blockbuster. That poo poo was bananas, and I found it completely terrifying at an existential level. If you haven't seen it, it's Groundhog Day but way more full of bizarre Japanese monsters the 10-year-old brain is not fully prepared to comprehend, and it turns out a little like Dark City but with a giant space turtle. This movie hosed me up for weeks, but then eventually I rented Bubblegum Crisis and it was all downhill from there.

Saw Ninja Scroll for the first time in the anime room at a sci fi convention at 12. By that time I was far gone: I was cosplaying as Ryoga from Ranma 1/2 because I was a depressed rear end kid and sympathized. Wearing a shirt my grandmother knit for me but it was grey since she had only seen a picture of it in the manga. I wore the loving tiger striped bandanna to school until they made me take it off because it might be gang colors? I have a pretty distinct memory of how the big guy in the front row sort of... leaned in and wheezed during the rape scenes. Thanks, anime.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 10, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Honestly I can't remember exactly how I got started. I think the earliest was watching Naruto and Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo on Toonami, and I only really started actively watching it way later when I stumbled upon and joined in on my brothers watching an episode of Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, and after watching through that (and not really having any idea what was happening in it at the time) my oldest brother showed me Escaflowne. He ended up showing me a bunch more stuff over time, like Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Bonjour Galaxy Express 999, we even ended up watching Robotech at one point since it was on Netflix, which ended with him getting really confused by all the bad rewrites towards the end of the Macross story.

It's only really within the last couple years I've been able to start searching out the stuff myself, which has kind of become a necessity since we don't watch stuff together nearly as much these days, and I've gotten way more into it than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

DBZ

I was legit psyched as a kid to watch Goku power up for 2 hours over 4 episodes. Before it started airing on TV i would hunt down ways to get fansubbed VHS tapes.

I'm old.

• Locked thread