Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well drat. It's in the video - I'm assuming this is a means of my computer not-so-subtly telling me that I should stick to recording at 30 fps?
Sorry folks, that's getting fixed in the next one. Kinda weird, though; it was fine in the game.

edit: If it's any help, nothing interesting happens in that level anyway.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

dreezy posted:

pretty short lp. reckon you'll actually need at least a few minutes

lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Let's Play Dash Rendar Is Away - "The only winning move is not to Coldplay"

Welcome to Emily Is Away! This is a free game on Steam. If you would like to play it, you should go play it. It's free, it's short, and it's definitely worth the experience! Link is here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/417860/

The Steam page describes the game as "an interactive story" where you "[c]reate a screenname and choose your path through [a] branching narrative". To be honest, though, the branches are largely superficial and they all basically end up with the friendship between Dash Rendar and Emily withering and dying. The only question is how quickly do you want this friendship to die and how awkward do you want its death to be? So come join us as we play the voices in Dash Rendar's head and attempt to maintain a long distance friendship by only talking to Emily once a year over an instant messenger service.

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 19, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was

so drunk

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"You will always be Dash Rendar"

My epitaph, ladies and gentlemen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"I'd go to the party with you but there's Snow Patrol in my car!" - Dash Rendar Will Never Go Away

Welcome to the second chapter! It's been a year since we've seen or talked to Emily, so let's check in and see how our friendship is doing. A couple things to note: all the inactive names in the buddy list are references to video games! try and guess which one is which! (hint: Isaac666 is in fact not a reference to Dead Space). Also, there are approximately 20 guides on how to beat Emily Is Away available on its Steam page (Thanks to ChaosArgate for pointing this out). Some of them promise a "Good Ending". They are lying, or their only contents suggest turning off the game.

MAJOR DIFFERENCES!!!!?!?!:
  • If you go to Travis's party, Emily will be dating Brad (the band nerd who was annoying her in Chapter 1) by Chapter 2, but if you skip out on the party, she'll be dating Travis. No matter which result occurs, they will always be in a rough patch in their relationship and Dash the player will have to give her advice. Note: the advice will always be generally terrible. Remember, this is an awkward instant messenger simulator.
  • If you say you like Coldplay, Emily will talk to you about Snow Patrol. If you say that you already know about them, she'll ask about your favourite song. Funny part is, only one of the song options (Run) is an actual Snow Patrol song--the rest are all traps to reveal your lack of knowledge about Snow Patrol. If you say Coldplay are shite, Emily won't talk to you about Snow Patrol.

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2022

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Let's Play Blue Estate

This game charmed me 5 minutes in, and I hope it warms your heart too! So join me on this wild ride to save our girl(?)friend(?)/girlfriend(?) and teach the world the name of Tony. Luciano.

I'm a horrible person, but this game looks fun as poo poo. I think I need to figure out how to get a lightgun working on PC now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Don't wanna be a Corellian idiot!" - Boulevard of Emily's Broken Dreams

Dash Rendar really is obnoxious when it comes to relationships. In the Star Wars EU novel, Shadow Games, Dash is a huge brooding man-child when it comes to his "crush", who is incidentally Princess Leia's cousin. It's a good thing all that EU stuff got de-canonized, I guess. :smith:

Dash Rendar is confirmed as part of the Star Wars Disney canon!!!!

• The dialogue in this chapter changes depending on whether or not you went to the party. If you don't go to the party, you get the text you saw in the video where Emily "wonders what would've happened" if you had gone. If you do go to the party, Emily reminisces about how the two of you ditched Julie and Travis to hang out together at a park and then "wonders what would've happened" if you had kissed her in that moment. Your dialogue response are identical in both situations.
  • Mike and Emma are always in the background. You can mention them or not, but they are Dash's the player's new friends at this point.
  • Unlike what crow says, no matter what you choose in the previous chapter, Emily will have broken up with Brad/Travis at this point.

Sally fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 20, 2022

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

AHAHAHA! Of all the crap to keep they picked Dash. Well done Disney, take my money for the next decade.

Emily is away is a good game solely because of CJ.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hard Reset level 3
I honestly have no idea what's up with a mic that fails to pick up what I'm saying yet catches the dog barking behind two closed doors.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Dash Rendar's Time Is Running Out" - Let's Play Emily Is Not A-Muse-d

Click here to try out Trillian, the instant messenger service that is officially supported by Dash Rendar! Trillian, the only instant messaging service installed on the Outrider's and Leebo's operating systems!

• I make a mistake in reporting what happens if you let Emily visit in Chapter 3. So now I'm going to clear things up a bit. First of all, if Emily comes to visit, Emma gets annoyed and it blows your chances with her. However, if Emily doesn't come over, you and Emma never work out anyways, so whatever, I guess? Second, if you agree to let Emily come and visit, the question will arise over whether or not you should involve alcohol. If you choose to involve alcohol, whether Emily brings some or if it's Dash's secret stash, the two of you will hook up. The third bit involves deciding what you will do when Emily visits. From what I've gathered, if you involve alcohol you're going to hook up with Emily regardless. If you don't involve alcohol and choose to do fun things around campus and around town, you wont sleep with each other. If you don't involve alcohol but decide to just hang out in Dash's dorm, you're gonna have sex. This all leads to the next point--
  • By chapter 4, if you didn't invite Emily to visit, she will say things "feel weird" because you weren't there for her when she needed a friend. If you did invite her to visit and the two of you hook up, she will say things "feel weird" because you had sex. If you invited Emily to visit and the two of you didn't hook up, she will call you out for failing to act on the sexual tension that has apparently existed between the two of you.
  • No matter what you've done in previous chapters, Mike will have become more distant.
  • If you don't talk things through with Emily, she accuses you of being selfish and only thinking of yourself. Truly, the most Dash Rendar of responses and we missed it. What happened, team?!

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 19, 2022

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Still playing catch-up with our ongoing Duke Nukem 3D and our finished Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow VLPs! Thank you so much for everyone who's sticking around, we really appreciate the exposure.

Part 13: NOT REALLY KICKING
Part 14: rear end-TRONAUT
Part 15: THEY GROW UP SO FAST
:synthy: Playlist

Part 13: NUMBER OF THE BEAST
Part 14: IT WIGGLES AND JIGGLES
Part 15: LADY OF THE OUCH

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

Hard Reset level 3
I honestly have no idea what's up with a mic that fails to pick up what I'm saying yet catches the dog barking behind two closed doors.

For anybody interested in the game, Hard Reset is in this week's humble bundle. I'd say it's definitely worth $1.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Let's Play Blue Estate

https://youtu.be/U7HvoO-P6Ic

I don't know why, but I absolutely love the art style used in this game.

YOTC posted:

I'm a horrible person, but this game looks fun as poo poo. I think I need to figure out how to get a lightgun working on PC now.

Blue Estate is seriously fun. I don't play too many arcade shooters on the PC platform (Are there many of them to begin with? I dunno), but the action and dialogue in this game is a serious contender to Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and the only significant difference, apart from theme/story, is that CoJ isn't on rails.

I only bought BE because it was on sale and I'm poor, but it was definitely worth its full price. If you know anyone who loves arcade shooters, do them a favor and get them CoJ and BE for Xmas, if they don't already have them.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 18, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dash Rendar Will Never Die But You Will.

I'm with CJacobs, with regards to ratings. Emily Is Away doesn't make for a particularly exciting game, and in fact, multiple playthroughs quickly show how limited the game actually is. That said, it was a great experience. It's like Heavy Rain, I guess. Play it once and it's pretty good. Any more than that and it's a joyless slog. As an experience, it's really riling people up. Browsing the Steam Community Hub is hilarious and awful:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=28383

• If you refused to talk with Emily about things in the last chapter, then this chapter only lasts a couple lines. Dash says "hi", Emily says "I don't want to talk right now" and the end credits roll. Worst Ending or Best Ending? You decide.
  • Emily will always be back with her previous boyfriend at this point, whether it was Travis or Brad.
  • Emma and Mike will have always moved on from Dash and wind up dating each other. It's because Dash is a black hole of failure and regrets. A Dash-hole, if you will.
  • Unless you get the "gently caress off, Dash" ending, then Chapter 5 will always end poorly--just, more slowly. You can either to end it mercifully quick or keep exhausting your dialogue options until all of them say 'goodbye'.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, that's it. Thanks for stickin' it out with Dash Rendar until the bitter end. I liked this game. You should definitely give it a go if you're in the least bit interested. I doubt I found all the alternate dialogue choices and options, and I definitely didn't use the secret bonus buddy icons. Also, the dev is working on adding Steam Achievements and Trading Cards. Remember, it's free so it's definitely worth a look: http://store.steampowered.com/app/417860/

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 19, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
RE: Emily is Away

No matter how much I yelled at the screen and called you guys jerks, you roleplayed Dash rather well.

I've got something in my eye though, and I think I need to lie down for a bit.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Blind Sally posted:

I'm with CJacobs, with regards to ratings. Emily Is Away doesn't make for a particularly exciting game, and in fact, multiple playthroughs quickly show how limited the game actually is. That said, it was a great experience. It's like Heavy Rain, I guess. Play it once and it's pretty good. Any more than that and it's a joyless slog. As an experience, it's really riling people up. Browsing the Steam Community Hub is hilarious and awful:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=28383

Yeah, I got the distinct feeling when I reviewed it recently that playing the "What If?" game with this toxic relationship would have led to just as much pain, and you do appear to have confirmed this for me. I'll say that it's very good at pushing your buttons, and... Well, some people don't react too well (Not naming groups, but a couple in particular immediately come to mind as both "The kind of folks this game is about" and "The kind of game they absolutely wouldn't react to with anything but the same poo poo that means the first thing applies to them.")

I'm completely unashamed to say that it made me deeply uncomfortable, that it made me think about past me and what an rear end in a top hat he was, and that yes, do not play the "What If?" game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For those who wish to see the full almost-uninterrupted version of Emily Is Away, I now have a Playlist version on my YouTube page. Like comment and subscribe to my webzone if you want a pizzaroll. If you like this video, I'll send you a pizzaroll.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Wanamingo posted:

For anybody interested in the game, Hard Reset is in this week's humble bundle. I'd say it's definitely worth $1.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

On the topic of the bundle, has anyone played Breach & Clear? It looks like a really good Doorkickers/Raven Shield type game but I've heard it's a mobile port, with all that entails.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So I got good news and bad news, although which is which (or indeed, if there are any of either kind) depends entirely on you: my mic has died, which means no Hard Reset for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to get my hands on a new one for Christmas and if that does, I'll start again with a different game because I was actually having a pretty hard time trying to come up with something that'd sound even remotely interesting for this one. You can probably tell.

Oh, and loving Blue Estate LP so far. It's the type of game I'd never play myself because I got a thing about not supporting Russian anything but I'm positively charmed and hooked and seriously considering it next time I see it on sale.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 10, 2015

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
I'll go ahead and post 4 Duke3D episodes this time since that's all we have left from it. Duke & River City Ransom are both on break while my co-host Dvid is doing his exams for a month or two, so in the meantime we're playing Blackthorne and Dangerous Dave with my good buddy, Tams! I'll post the DD episodes here because it's probably going to be too short to have its own thread.

Part 1: TRIED SO HARD & GOT SO FAR

Part 16: THIS BETTER FUCKIN' BE A BOSS FIGHT
Part 17: EXPLODE-A-SHARK, INC.
Part 18: GIMME A PIG AFTER MIDNIGHT
Part 19: GET ON MY FACE

Part 16: IT'S AN ENTIRE HORSE
Part 17: DO THE WEIRD THINGY
Part 18: THE GOD OF LUBRICANT

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Hey everybody, I really like playing Monaco as a solo pickpocket, but there's already a good Monaco LP. I might add in some gentleman/mole runs with Mzbundifund as well, but for now, here's THIS THING!

Edit: I'll crank up the music in future updates, no idea why it came through so soft.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 11, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bacter posted:

Hey everybody, I really like playing Monaco as a solo pickpocket, but there's already a good Monaco LP. I might add in some gentleman/mole runs with Mzbundifund as well, but for now, here's THIS THING!

Edit: I'll crank up the music in future updates, no idea why it came through so soft.

More Monaco is not a bad thing and the Pickpocket is pretty much the epitome of low effort Monaco. I approve.

e: also the LP was mine :v: cjacobs does good stuff though

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 11, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Someday I'll learn to do some research before opening my dumb mouth. THIS I SWEAR!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Aw yeah: time for MORE PICKPOCKETING!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fall of Cybertron chapter 4: Eye of the Storm

"Grimlock has a TEAM?"
"What do they call themselves? The Lightning Strike something or other."
"That's terrible."

Previously on Fall of Cybertron, we reactivated the city-bot Metroplex and with his help were able to stop Megatron and save the ark. During the encounter with Megatron we learned his motivation for why he refuses to let the autobots leave and go their own way: he doesn't like them. However, his motivations don't matter too much now, as he was killed by Metroplex. With him gone, Starscream has taken over control of the decepticons and will be the main villain of the game. Even though the ark is safe for the time being, the autobots have used up all of their energon in the process of defending it and don't have enough left to launch. With no other options, Optimus Prime has sent Cliffjumper and Jazz to track down Grimlock. Though the others feel he is a traitor, Optimus believes he left for a good reason and suspects that his location may be the key to their escape.

As an aside, for anybody who's a Transformers fan, is there any reason they gave Cliffjumper a cloaking device? When I first played through the game I just figured it was his thing, but after seeing some of the cartoons, it's only Mirage that can turn invisible. Having Cliffjumper be the stealthy one seems entirely out of character for him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know anything about Transformers but suspect the reason is "to mix up the gameplay". Why didn't they use a character that does it regularly, I have no idea - maybe their toy wasn't being sold during the game's development?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know anything about Transformers but suspect the reason is "to mix up the gameplay". Why didn't they use a character that does it regularly, I have no idea - maybe their toy wasn't being sold during the game's development?

Oh yeah, there's a very clear gameplay reason for it, I'm just wondering why it's Cliffjumper of all characters.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So it turns out that not double-checking my videos (and MEGUI being a jerk of a program) means that my subtitles that I had for the two Blue Estate videos aren't actually displaying... :cripes:

I'll re-upload them once I get around to re-transcribing what's currently embedded into them, but episode 3 will be up later, due to having to upload the video + subtitle separately.

So to those doing subtitle LPs. Don't use MEGUI!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ah-ha. That's why I was confused when you said in the other thread that it was a subtitled VLP after I said it was commentary-less. Because, due to a comedy of errors, it IS commentary-less! :haw:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I, uh, haven't noticed. The game is pretty hypnotic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

I, uh, haven't noticed. The game is pretty hypnotic.

There are moments where I have to rewatch or just abandon lines entirely because I always get captivated by the gameplay.

CJacobs posted:

Ah-ha. That's why I was confused when you said in the other thread that it was a subtitled VLP after I said it was commentary-less. Because, due to a comedy of errors, it IS commentary-less! :haw:

:doh:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I figured it was an intentional choice and you were just doing one of those longplays you see over on youtube.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Are you ready for HEAVY PAIN?!

Episode 1: El Generico, Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, and bible corn

EDIT: That horrible humming that appears after about a minute in goes away at a little after eight minutes in. That's how you know it's casual.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 15, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Let's Play Blue Estate

https://youtu.be/1tCznKzfCDM

I'll get the previous video subtitles re-done and re-upload them at some point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How does the co-op work? Do we get double Tony Luciano or is there another character?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

How does the co-op work? Do we get double Tony Luciano or is there another character?

To be honest, I have no clue. :blush:

I really hope its a second Tony so you can hear them constantly moan and bitch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To be honest, I have no clue. :blush:

I really hope its a second Tony so you can hear them constantly moan and bitch.

I watched a video of it and, yep, it just duplicates Tony entirely. You get one copy of the story voice lines but twice as much "C'moooon where did I put my bullets dammit!"

Man, this game looks like fun, I can't wait for the christmas sale so I can buy it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

I watched a video of it and, yep, it just duplicates Tony entirely. You get one copy of the story voice lines but twice as much "C'moooon where did I put my bullets dammit!"

Man, this game looks like fun, I can't wait for the christmas sale so I can buy it.

I smell a Co-op stream, mayhaps? :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell, I'd be down for that, when I get the game I'll let you know.