Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Those accents are driving me up the wall. It's oddly... Scandinavian? By way of Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

That's the dialect I was trying to think of! For the life of me I could not remember the ESL accent their voices reminded me of. They all have moments where they sound vaguely Norwegian. I should check the credits and try and find out who the voice actors for these characters are. I suspect they are Asian (because I'm pretty sure this is a game from a Chinese studio), but at the same time it isn't entirely clear to me.

Yeah, Norwegian is a good guess. Could even be Estonian or German? Probably not Swedish, definitely not Danish.

Psycho Knight posted:

Anyway, that means that all three women are voiced by one person from Taiwan, which at least explains why all the characters have the same type of specifically strange accent. As for why these actors sound more Eastern European than Asian, that I don't know. I can only assume that it's some combination of no direction (the credits do not list a Voice or Casting Director), a shaky English translation of the script, and possibly too much effort put in to trying to convincingly pass as British and Russian citizens (when it comes to Emily and Vera).

Thank you for spending time researching this before I got around to it. I don't know why but the mystery compels me.

The funny thing is the female VA is voicing all the women with the same accent and doesn't even attempt any of the stereotypical affectations for British or Russian english. Granted, I couldn't say what a Taiwanese accent sounds like, so maybe its just that :v: