Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought I read an article about NES visual design a while ago, which showed a splash screen or title screen or something, which, kinda like those trees, had a lot of diagonal elements. By very clever use of the common color (black?) they managed to make it blend in perfectly, you wouldn't even know the limitations if you didn't know what to look for.

But I can't find that article or screenshot anymore.

I've actually read the article you're talking about, but I can't recall where it was either. I have however found an article specifically about Shovel Knight that discusses the NES's limitations, as explained by the devs. http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Very poetic, Crow.

I actually played that game on console when I was younger (I'm not sure how, mind you; I never owned a SNES). I remember not liking it, but I didn't remember it being so drat bad.

I suppose all I can say at this point is "better CJacobs than me."

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I played Bubsy on SNES in a toy-shop once. Seeing all the crazy deaths was fun at first, but when I later borrowed the game to play it at home it turned old fast.

Yeah, that much was at least amusing for about an hour. Beyond that, I remember getting about as far as CJacobs did in that video and then calling it quits.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FeyerbrandX posted:

Professor Carlotta Jacobs emiterius professor of expert Ichthyology Ornithology Birb First Edition.

Speaking of whom...

I'm not one to pry into a man's personal affairs, CJacobs, but I am a little curious why you're posting the Bubsy videos in here instead of the megathread dedicated to garbage loving games no one likes. Seems like that would have been a better fit!

(Man, I forgot how garbage Bubsy really is. Or maybe I never fully understood the magnitude of its raw, unrelenting suck.)

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I did post it there! Or at least, I advertised it there. But also I'm obligated to post it here since it's the laziest lp ever. I mean look at the most recent video, I didn't even bother to put the letterboxing on.

Touché.