Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Wanamingo posted:

Perspective

This is Perspective. It's a short little puzzle game from 2012 that was developed as a student project. I remember I heard about it a while back here on the forums, and it's pretty fun. It'll only take you maybe an hour to get through your first time, so we'll be seeing all of it in this one video. I'd really recommend checking it out, It's available for free right here.

http://seewithperspective.com/

This is my first project here, so this was all pretty off the cuff for me and I figured out the editing as I went. Expect lots of mumbling and some less than insightful commentary in this video. Enjoy.

Hey, it was a relatively entertaining showing of a game that, while interesting, doesn't have a whole lot to talk about unless you're willing to go into perspective tricks in art or somesuch, and takes half an hour to finish. I would also recommend checking it out. :)

Spoiler joke below.

Sadly, Wanamingo vanished after making this LP, although his posts occasionally turned up, sometimes the right way up, sometimes upside down, sometimes curved. Mods are looking into the issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Question: I'm trying to make some videos for here but my audio is decidedly poo poo. Anyone minds if I use this thread for a bit of an LP technique self-improvement?
I mean, there's having low effort in editing and comentary and there's forcing you to listen to the creaking of my table because I can't figure out how to remove the thing.

As someone who's occasionally had to do this, the only way I've found makes the audio a lil' weird at times, because it involves first cancelling the noise in general, then specifically noise cancelling the creaky thing in question, and it's not guaranteed to work throughout.

But either way, :justpost: :)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Two guns, thousands of robots, one rear end in a top hat: Let's Play Hard Reset

Level 1

Hard Reset is a shooty game that is mostly spent running around in wild panic. I'm doing this live (bad idea) and I'm fighting my audio setup the whole way, so any tips or feedback are appreciated.

Well, you were worried about table creaking, so I can definitely say that what you've done with the audio definitely helps! Hard Reset is indeed a tough game (Although it was, as I recall, even harder before it got patched and DLC'd... Guess which poor bastard reviewed it on release?), but, apart from what Wanamingo's mentioned, you're not doing bad, so it's just a case of practice. :)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I'm with CJacobs, with regards to ratings. Emily Is Away doesn't make for a particularly exciting game, and in fact, multiple playthroughs quickly show how limited the game actually is. That said, it was a great experience. It's like Heavy Rain, I guess. Play it once and it's pretty good. Any more than that and it's a joyless slog. As an experience, it's really riling people up. Browsing the Steam Community Hub is hilarious and awful:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=28383

Yeah, I got the distinct feeling when I reviewed it recently that playing the "What If?" game with this toxic relationship would have led to just as much pain, and you do appear to have confirmed this for me. I'll say that it's very good at pushing your buttons, and... Well, some people don't react too well (Not naming groups, but a couple in particular immediately come to mind as both "The kind of folks this game is about" and "The kind of game they absolutely wouldn't react to with anything but the same poo poo that means the first thing applies to them.")

I'm completely unashamed to say that it made me deeply uncomfortable, that it made me think about past me and what an rear end in a top hat he was, and that yes, do not play the "What If?" game.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Also, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs got name dropped, so, uh, take a look at this 90s as all heck cartoon intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr2iQ96em2w

Looking further, though, it looks like it was a whole thing and I never realized that. There's a comic book and a video game as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillacs_and_Dinosaurs

Toy line, too:

Who knew?

Awwwh yeah, Xenozoic Tales for the win! And yes, it got both quite political and very weird. The plotline of the arcade game is p. much the plotline of the comic. There are poachers, who are assholes. There are ambushes and kidnappings. Jack Tenrec's lady friend is actually the ex mayor of a place who is also a dinosaur conservationist, and there is, just like in the arcade game, a professor who is actually an alien who actually introduced the dinosaurs because reasons and oh, didn't you know it was Earth after an alien war and we didn't exactly win and...

[At this point, JamieTheD passed out from talking about the C&D franchise without taking a breath :haw: ]

EDIT: Okay, there might have been a few half-truths in there, but the comic is cool, go look it up :P

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 20, 2016

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

So, who likes shmups? Who likes ALE? Who likes, in short, Tyrian 2000?

Grimlock Master and I do! So, a casual saga of yakking about Tyrian 2000, beating the game, and... TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES.

I'm so, so sorry Grimlock. I will do better for Ep 3.

Meanwhile!

Part 1 - Episode 1, Half the First. In which we visit... THE HOLE.
Part 2 - Episdoe 1, Half the Second. In which we chump way too many bosses, and attempt to retrieve Zinglon's Ale!
Tyrian 2000 Part 3 - Episode The Second - In which we encounter TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 12, 2017

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I always liked the little guitar tanks in Tyrian. They felt a bit tougher than they should have been though.

I perfectly agree. So, due to Technical Difficulties , Parts 3 and 4 got smooshed together, and the sudden jump cut about 3m in is... Because there was a horrific audio glitch.

Tyrian 2000 Part 3 - Episode The Second - In which we encounter TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

So, a whole slew of Technical Difficulties happened, so alas, I am not joined by GrimlockMaster for Episodes 3 and 4. Hopefully we'll get him back for the final episode.

Tyrian 2000, Part 4 - Episode 3: In which we are between some rocks and a giant space mace.
Tyrian 2000, Part 5 - Episode 4: In which we finish the original registered version episodes, and Weirdness Happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

It's time to show you all why the Plasma Storm is so good, at this, the end of Story mode of Tyrian 2000.

Part 6 - The Surprisingly Short One
(Playlist link: PLAYLIST)

Also, time to reveal I've also been doing a Casual LP of Aliens Versus Predator 2010, a much maligned sequel that... Honestly, somewhat deserves it. Let's take a closer, albeit still casual look, shall we?

AvP2010 Part 1: The Saga Of Rookie the Rookie, Part The First
AvP2010 Part 2: The Saga Of Rookie the Rookie, Part The Second Facehug