Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Tame...?

Chapter 1

Boy, this is like...not crazy. Weird.

Y'know, this applies to the other updates as well, but those combat sequences are basically impossible to follow visually. Just a mess of sprites flying all over the place and numbers popping out. Is there anything in particular to do gameplay-wise, do you just button-mash or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think Shovel Knight looked just fine. It's obviously not as constrained as an actual NES, but the point I believe was to invoke NES nostalgia while maintaining a smoothness and variety of play that would be vastly more difficult to achieve on actual hardware. The important thing is the play experience, not holding yourself to some ancient conduct as you develop your game.

One neat thing about Shovel Knight though is that the music actually would be playable on an NES -- that is, it uses the same sound channels that the NES had available to it.

Another interesting retro-style game is Axiom Verge, which uses NES-style palettes (with a bit less rules-breaking than Shovel Knight) but SNES-level or better resolution. It also makes use of graphical "glitching" that frequently shows you the 8x8 chunking that makes up all of the sprites and tiles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

Why are you nerds spending $4 for snes9x and a rom on steam? Cause that's seriously all that is.

I beg your pardon, it's $4 for SNES9x, a ROM, and the pleasure of inflicting that ROM on someone else.

Same reason why Bad Rats gets gifted to people all the time. It's like giving your straitlaced friend a giant rainbow dildo -- if they have fun with it, great, but that's not why you're giving it to them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I made it as far as the train levels before giving up. I don't think I really understood at that age that some games just were not worth playing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Skypizza posted:

Why did they go on and make this a rail shooter? I mean if it was a regular shooter (or even point and click) it would have been much fun.

The three of those are all completely different genres with completely different design principles. You do know that, right?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Good news, guys! Some poor bastard made a TAS of Bubsy 3D (submission thread on TASVideos), so you don't have to play it, right? Right? :ohdear:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'ma just leave this here.

(From this album)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Although now that I think about it, IIRC you got the key item in DoS automatically rather than needing to find it somewhere. If I remembered that right then that's kind of worse in a Metroidvania.

SotN makes it very clear that something screwy is going on -- why is a Belmont, normally a heroic character, in charge of Dracula's Castle? You're meant to get the bad ending, go "wait, that's not right", and then spend the time to flesh out your map, which will naturally lead you to the extra scenes and the item you need to bypass the Belmont fight.

I'd say the main thing that Dawn of Sorrow does worse than SotN (in this respect anyway, since DoS is a pretty bad game in many other ways) is just not making the item you equip be mechanically relevant to why you get the bad ending. It just takes you down a different cutscene, whereas in SotN you actually do something different during the fight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Circle of the Moon: very repetitive level design and overuse of a specific musical track, but otherwise good. Impossibly dark graphics if played on an original GBA.
Harmony of Dissonance: awful graphics, dissonant music isn't to everyones' tastes, weird, floaty movement.
Aria of Sorrow: just generally really solid with a really fun gimmick.

Dawn of Sorrow: incredibly grind-heavy gimmick (souls are something like 5x rarer than they were in Aria), but has a great "alternate character" to play as after you finish the main game
Portrait of Ruin: much better "balanced" than Dawn (read: little to no grinding needed), has just a ton of content, but some of that content gets rather samey.
Order of Ecclesia: comparatively much harder than other portable 'vanias, very linear, but otherwise solid and introduces new enemy types instead of rehashing the same monsters we've already seen in a half-dozen prior games.

My favorites are Aria and Portrait, and least favorites are Harmony and Dawn.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Olesh posted:

Well, this I can't strictly blame Dawn for. For all of the passive stat souls, Aria had different monsters provide varying levels of stats when equipped, so one monster might drop a +4 to a stat, where another monster provided a +8. Dawn standardized it so there was one monster that dropped +STR souls, and more copies of the soul increased the stat buff. By doing it this way in Dawn, it eliminated the redundant aspect of having most of a category of souls just being stat increases where most of the souls in the category were obsoleted by specific, bigger stat-increase souls as it was in Aria.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having equipment (souls) that becomes obsolete with time. You don't complain when your Casual Shirt gets replaced by a Combat Vest, right? And this extends to the non-passive souls, too: it's not like you're going to continue using the Winged Skeleton soul (throws a spear) once you get the Ripper soul (throws a knife), since they do basically the same thing but Ripper is just plain better.

The big problem Dawn's soul-collection system is that you're never "done" grinding for souls. Okay, great, you spent 10+ minutes grinding for this new soul. Now it's level 1 and you'll need to get 8 more copies before it really reaches its potential. They won't really change how it behaves, just make its numbers bigger. Have fun with your lovely new upgrade!

(The marginally-less-big problem is that because souls are so rare, you find very few over the course of normal play, which means you're mostly stuck using the guaranteed drops from bosses instead of the typically more interesting drops from random monsters)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The best thing about Galamoth is that you can stunlock him by punching him repeatedly in the back of the head. Without that, an all-bosses punching-only run would be very painful.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

LogicalFallacy posted:

Ooh. I didn't know about that trick. I always just cheesed him with the beryl circlet. I'll definitely have to give that a go next time I play.

Note that you have to get into position for this basically immediately; if he moves from his initial position then you're stuck doing the fight normally. So the process is something like enter boss room -> jump up -> morph into bat -> Wing Smash through Galamoth -> land on little platform behind his head -> re-enact Fist of the North Star on his neck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wayne posted:

:aaa: Interesting! I assume you'd have to find ways to cheese most bosses like that, since Alucard's damage is so low. I assume "punching-only" doesn't count the Blue/Jewel Knuckles or Fist of Tulkas, that would be a lot more viable!

Ah ha ha ha ha ha, no, you're better off barehanded rather than using the Jewel Knuckles at least (Fist of Tulkas is pretty good though; I forget about Blue Knuckles). If you stand really close to enemies, then Alucard's punch hits twice. It's also super spammable and does either blunt damage or untyped damage; in any case, it does good damage against a lot of enemies that are resistant to slashing attacks like most of your swords produce. Punching is actually more powerful than the weapons you can find in the early game, if you can cope with its short range.

It is perfectly possible to beat every boss without ever using any weapons or spells or armor. I've done it, though I did resort to throwing subweapons against Beelzebub because he's kind of annoying to reach otherwise, and by the end I was kind of sick of it so I ate a million pot roasts against Dracula.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

Yes, I know he SAYS it, but he doesn't say it in a way that makes it sound like a pun. Why are you looking for more reasons to hate yourself? Isn't playing and watching Bubsy enough?

What could PAWsibly go wrong?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I found the female Bubsy they were talking about in CJacobs stream. It's so much worse than I thought. http://sulkysadbobcat.tumblr.com/

I dunno, the fact that they're playing it as a trans original-Bubsy instead of a "look here's an alternate sexy female version of a character" makes all the trying-too-hard elements a lot funnier.

(EDIT: to be clear, I'm not making a joke about trans people, I'm making a joke about how Bubsy is always trying way too hard in everything he/she does and that just makes the whole thing even more cringeworthy)

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How could anyone think it a good idea to bring back Bubsy? Is there some reservoir of Bubsy lovers out there somewhere? :negative: