Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

Also I have that you jacobs will finally be the one to complete a Shovel Knight LP on the forums; you'd think that wouldn't be such an insurmountable task...but I've been proven wrong three times.
True that; at this point I kinda want to see how that thing ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know Reize (and his boomerang) shows up in Valdis Story, anything else that guy forced himself into?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what those flying fuzzyspherebatOHGODTEETHthings in Plague Knight's level are but they're amazingly cute.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, for how obvious the whole Enchantress "twist" was, it still felt touching. This game does a lot with a little bit of writing. Also that boss rush looked straight-up brutal and I'm saying that as someone who never got past Propeller Knight's level.

Anyway, are you going to do the DLC?

Acne Rain posted:

It's worth watching just if you think Blum has limited range as a voice actor to hear him camp it up as Starscream. IT. IS. LORRRRRRRD
Blum has amazing range; the thing is you can still tell it's him - his voice is really distinctive no matter what he does with it. As opposed to someone like Nolan North who is a loving vocal chameleon.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 20, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always felt the biggest difference between "retro" games and old games was in size. Shovel Knight is about 200 megs which is tiny by today's standard, but weren't NES cartridges something like 1024 kb?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Question: I'm trying to make some videos for here but my audio is decidedly poo poo. Anyone minds if I use this thread for a bit of an LP technique self-improvement?
I mean, there's having low effort in editing and comentary and there's forcing you to listen to the creaking of my table because I can't figure out how to remove the thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Two guns, thousands of robots, one rear end in a top hat: Let's Play Hard Reset

Level 1

Hard Reset is a shooty game that is mostly spent running around in wild panic. I'm doing this live (bad idea) and I'm fighting my audio setup the whole way, so any tips or feedback are appreciated.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 23, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hard Reset - level 2. HD version probably still processing.
I fiddled with the audio and tried to record it in 60 fps as opposed to 30, hopefully it turned out better. The noise is getting worse, though.
Also featuring me forgetting what upgrade I bought literally two minutes ago.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 28, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well drat. It's in the video - I'm assuming this is a means of my computer not-so-subtly telling me that I should stick to recording at 30 fps?
Sorry folks, that's getting fixed in the next one. Kinda weird, though; it was fine in the game.

edit: If it's any help, nothing interesting happens in that level anyway.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 29, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hard Reset level 3
I honestly have no idea what's up with a mic that fails to pick up what I'm saying yet catches the dog barking behind two closed doors.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So I got good news and bad news, although which is which (or indeed, if there are any of either kind) depends entirely on you: my mic has died, which means no Hard Reset for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to get my hands on a new one for Christmas and if that does, I'll start again with a different game because I was actually having a pretty hard time trying to come up with something that'd sound even remotely interesting for this one. You can probably tell.

Oh, and loving Blue Estate LP so far. It's the type of game I'd never play myself because I got a thing about not supporting Russian anything but I'm positively charmed and hooked and seriously considering it next time I see it on sale.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 10, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know anything about Transformers but suspect the reason is "to mix up the gameplay". Why didn't they use a character that does it regularly, I have no idea - maybe their toy wasn't being sold during the game's development?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I, uh, haven't noticed. The game is pretty hypnotic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How does the co-op work? Do we get double Tony Luciano or is there another character?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
With friends like these, right?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V6j-rwKcsc

And so it begins, god help our poor souls.
Why does he look so loving smug in the life count icon...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

Very poetic, Crow.

I actually played that game on console when I was younger (I'm not sure how, mind you; I never owned a SNES). I remember not liking it, but I didn't remember it being so drat bad.

I suppose all I can say at this point is "better CJacobs than me."
I think the Bubsy games were on the PC as well. I distinctly remember seeing a review in a Czech gaming magazine in about 1997-8, the gist of it was "stay the gently caress away".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Let' Play Blue Estate

https://youtu.be/pzcZGaQHuv0

There's no love lost in this tunnel.
It's official, I need to buy this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hua. Not gonna lie, I was wondering when he's gonna use it as a weapon from the moment I've seen the animation. Does anything happen if you shoot the divine HUA in flight?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Blue Estate is a fiver again thanks to the sale, and I bought it! It's just as much fun as it looks in the videos. Thanks Jobbo_Fett for showing me that it exists. :)
Yup, that's two of us.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The LP is making it look a lot easier though. Then again, I haven't played a rail shooter since forever.
Or those Korean mobsters just have really tiny heads.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I got a new mic, but I also got Witcher 3. Goodbye, cruel world.
A bit more on-topic, the final level in Blue Estate is loving brutal and I really want to see someone actually competent handle that thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The boss fights are probably the worst part of the game, they just take for loving ever and aren't very challenging. But hey, the next level is easily my favorite in the game mostly because I enjoy killing Russians and it's awesome. Hua.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sounds like a budgetary issue. Plus they were making a game based on an obscure comic book so who knows how much success they were expecting - I'd honestly never even notice the game (past "that sounds like Russian survival horror, gently caress that") if not for the LP and I doubt I was the only one.
It's a tiny game by all records - there's only two levels remaining and my playthrough of the story took all of two hours. Hopefully it'll see some success that'd encourage these folks to make more games. I'd love to see a full-blown FPS Blue Estate too - apparently this one's only picked a couple of stories from the comic so there should be plenty more material.

edit: My bad, the company that made it is French. Phew, now I can enjoy some more or less guilt-free slaughter.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 29, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

kjetting posted:

Isn't Bubsy the game that that autist guy (Ulillillia?) is so into? I think he has been defending the series and posted some playthroughs online where the game almost looks playable because he has everything memorized.

I can't understand how the developers thought the game would be fun, and the level designs are the worst. The deaths in your playthrough that aren't egg-related are mostly from having to take a leap of faith because of the limited view.
Yes and they probably didn't. I rather suspect the mindset was "Mario and Sonic sell like crazy, what can we do to get a piece of that pie". As for unplayable, that's what you get when you don't have quality testing - from a point you're just too close and used to a project to see its flaws.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

In pain and suffering.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So yeah, this level feels really weak, tacked-on, and BALLS HARD. But it's got Tony!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really? I admit I haven't made any conscious effort to get better at it, but after multiple playthroughs of all levels, this is the only one where I always die 3+ times on Abnormal. The shantytown and river sections are particularly bad - or rather, I'm particularly bad at them.

Hidden gem is right, though; it's an awesome game and the fact I almost passed it on just because the writer's got a Russian-sounding name feels pretty drat stupid in retrospect.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aria does that too, although that at least somewhat clues you in. Dawn of Sorrow is just stupid.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

I mean you could probably get away with an open hoodie? :shrug:
Real fans wear it with no pants.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna chime in on how CoM is still good; it's in fact my favorite GBA 'vania. There's a lot of silly decisions like having to farm cards if you want a more diverse arsenal but its castle design is top-notch - especially compared to AoS and its endless water caves/canals/puzzles.
HoD is just bad, no excusing that one.
Dawn has a pretty cool castle and some of the best music in there (the snowy village and chapel themes come to mind immediately) but the touchscreen gimmick is just godawful; Portrait is solid but unimpressive and OoE is my favorite Castlevania even over SotN - it's kind of amazing how well metroidvanias adapted to the handhelds as a platform.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 11, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of rocks and hard places, what happened with Bubsy 2? Your fanbase demands suffering!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cheez posted:

But it wasn't a pun. It's not even written anywhere. The only reason the title of the game and the level names have wordplay in them is because it's mimicking TV cartoon episode titles.
I'm fairly sure it's one if his lines.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cheez posted:

Yes, I know he SAYS it, but he doesn't say it in a way that makes it sound like a pun. Why are you looking for more reasons to hate yourself? Isn't playing and watching Bubsy enough?
Well, the Steam blurb in the shop mentions it as his catchphrase and writes it that way. Put it together with the level names and horrible puns become a pretty integral part of the Bubsy experience.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, so after a series of unfortunate accidents, I'm back with another attempt to get my audio balance and speaking habits to something resembling a watchable level, except this time I handicap myself further by playing a game a)blind b)that's supposed to be poo poo:
Let's Play Legendary 01 - Everybody Jump!

Any feedback, technical or otherwise, is very much appreciated, the idea is that I try to fix issues between videos. I can't seem to fix the table.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Wow, I never thought I'd actually see anyone playing Legendary.
0,75 Euro in a Steam sale. Figured it could at least be entertainingly bad.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I would like to say that you are right about golems working nothing like that one though. Proper golems are made of clay and animated by a passage of scripture (I can't remember which one) written on a scroll and placed in their head. Alternately, they have the word "emeth," which means life, inscribed somewhere on their body, and are killed by defacing it so the it instead says "meth," which means death.
Hence buildingtron. Although I rather suspect this and the teutonic lizards are just the beginning of widespread mythology violation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds... ominous.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's Play Legendary 02: The World's Flattest Werewolf

In which we encounter a new weapon, new enemy, I forget there's a waypoint button and that "envelope" is a word. If you think this video is bad, just wait for the next one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I can tell the waiting is insufferable so here's the next one.
Let's Play Legendary 03: Strategic Invinciblity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's certainly a work of art.