Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I'm not trusting anyone who ever owned a Zune. Clearly they are incapable of making intelligent financial decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

What is it with games and "skill based" systems? They all universally turn out bad when that phrase is used IMO
It's something people say when they don't understand why previous MMOs are the way they are. Basically a sign that they think making an MMO is just like in this Goat Simulator trailer.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

quote:

"As for combat systems, all we know is that they will be using Motion Capture for the animations, and Inverse Kinetics (something like that). No Tab Targeting or Hotbars. The game blends Player and Character skill."

A TWO-person studio is using motion capture with inverse kinematics in a mmo...

Khako fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 10, 2015

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Kimsemus posted:

I'm really less worried about whether they can code it or not, compared to whether it will be actually fun to play.

Well Vanguard would of been real fun to play if they knew how to code and the game didn't run like poo poo.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Khako posted:

Maybe if one of them is secretly a multi-millionaire they could hire a motion capture studio to st- *snicker* BWAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry I just can't do this anymore, these guys are loving clown shoes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SweetBro posted:

I'm not trusting anyone who ever owned a Zune. Clearly they are incapable of making intelligent financial decisions.

Look I was in high school and didn't want to use iTunes okay

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Khako posted:

My favorite story about mocap in video games is how the Uncharted guys were doing all the animations by hand until their parent studio gave them a mocap room because the guys making uncharted couldnt afford to do mocap

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Hello there I would like to purchase a collectors edition and lifetime sub to your amazing, yet-to-be-released game which surely will live up to all of these claims. Also, sign me up to rabidly defend your game when I encounter people who are not ardent fans already.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
:vince:

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

That's coming in like two or three months. Kickstarter.

To be fair, we haven't seen a proper sandbox game since Galaxies. Darkfall was basically the equivalent of a child going "AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN" when every reasonable person looked at it and said "yeah, this isn't a good design". Mortal Online was promising, if it were to be released now but there's no way they could have done the M&B-style active combat justice in a time where most people were still on laughable connections. The tech just wasn't there for 2010.

So yeah, the last actually released sandbox game we got was 2010? It deserves a couple more tries.

Albion looks like it'll be quite successful and I'd consider that a decent to good example of one.

I didn't like the Albion graphics. I've become a graphics whore. I shouldn't complain I guess. I did play UO Forever for awhile too with Goons and it was a blast despite the graphics from 1912.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Neith posted:

I didn't like the Albion graphics. I've become a graphics whore. I shouldn't complain I guess. I did play UO Forever for awhile too with Goons and it was a blast despite the graphics from 1912.

thats because uo actually exists

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
They just posted on their Facebook that the offline demo will be coming out this spring as planned, with a crowdfunding campaign. Awesome.

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

They just posted on their Facebook that the offline demo will be coming out this spring as planned, with a crowdfunding campaign. Awesome.

Nice. I'll feel more secure seeing some videos of in-game footage, etc. Not that it matters. If the poo poo is fake, I'll be fine. Just haven't seen a MMORPG lately that promises all that UO had.
Revival is looking pretty decent too

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Neith posted:

Nice. I'll feel more secure seeing some videos of in-game footage

Quoting for posterity.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
They are going to ask for $900k on KickStarter...

Well good luck to them. Seems like another Star Citizen in the making.......... but unlike SC they actually have a BUILD already created and appears stable. I'll keep my eye on this.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/2892-Kickstarter-Start-Date-Announced

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Well, I was going to buy $200 worth of Star Citizen ships but I'll put that towards this instead. Looks loving great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1JcO645BA

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Came to laugh at the star citizen esque promising the world and delivering none of it, stayed for the chance of becoming a immortal soul sucking lich.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

SabinBlitz posted:

They are going to ask for $900k on KickStarter...

That... seems a bit low to me.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SweetBro posted:

nah man zunes were dope. itunes was really that bad

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

LordZoric posted:

That... seems a bit low to me.

Right? Apparently that was the feedback they got from their user base for a "bare bones" build.

I'm going to do what I did for starcit. Cheapest package that gets me the game. Follow develooment. Bail if things start going to poo poo. After watching how Crobbers hosed up starcit, it should be easy to see when things go south in this if they do.

In the meantime. I'm waiting patiently for world's adrift.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

nigga crab pollock posted:

nah man zunes were dope. itunes was really that bad

i bought the ZuneHD for this poo poo, it was amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GeWRQ6xRk

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I can't believe after seeing what happens when you give prelaunch money to games that actually exist, people are willing to give money to prelaunch games which don't exist.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Byolante posted:

I can't believe after seeing what happens when you give prelaunch money to games that actually exist, people are willing to give money to prelaunch games which don't exist.

The greater evil here is not having a game like this exist at all. I'd imagine their offline demo will be used to promote the Kickstarter campaign too so I'll get to see if I like what's been done so far beforehand.

Crowdfunded sandbox games have generally delivered/are delivering on what's been promised. Black Desert/ArcheAge were shitshows because they were something else entirely until the Korean market didn't like it and they took a complete 180 on the design.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Crowdfunded sandbox games have generally delivered/are delivering on what's been promised.

Which ones are you talking about?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Shy posted:

Which ones are you talking about?

The Repopulation (before IF poo poo the bed four months before release)
Albion Online
Shards Online
Gloria Victis
Camelot Unchained
I hear Das Tal/Crowfall is doing alright
Elite Dangerous
Project Gorgon
Star Citizen

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

I'm guilty of giving to many developers for kickstarter. I can't help it. I hope they deliver, but really could care less. It's the Charity that I choose give to and I guess that's how I look at it.

I will give to this game. More than likely I will choose a higher tier to get in the game as quickly as possible. They are promising a lot, but even if they deliver a game that's playable and sandboxish, it will be enough for me anyways. Tired of these Class restrictive games that have no depth to them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The Repopulation (before IF poo poo the bed four months before release) - dead
Albion Online - full loot pvp
Shards Online - middlewear not a game
Gloria Victis - lol rent mount and blade ripoff
Camelot Unchained - there is currently nothing there
I hear Das Tal/Crowfall is doing alright - crowfall disappeared up its own clique appeasing rear end
Elite Dangerous - not a mmo
Project Gorgon - it delivered something the way I am bread delivered something
Star Citizen - lol?

If a full loot pvp mmo somehow makes it out of prelaunch without dying it will be DOA because nobody will stick around long term

Moral of the story - kickstarting mmos is dumber than preordering mmos

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Byolante posted:

I think the real moral is full loot PvP is loving stupid and has only ever worked in two games ever. It only exists in our modern age as a tool to rob angry repressed dorks of their money.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jimlit posted:

I think the real moral is full loot PvP is loving stupid and has only ever worked in two games ever. It only exists in our modern age as a tool to rob angry repressed dorks of their money.

What game has it worked in that only kept a player base because there was no other option? Like there is DayZ but its not a complete or conventionally released game. The only other thing I can think of is UO but post-trammel everyone fled open pvp for the safety of carebear island.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Byolante posted:

What game has it worked in that only kept a player base because there was no other option? Like there is DayZ but its not a complete or conventionally released game. The only other thing I can think of is UO but post-trammel everyone fled open pvp for the safety of carebear island.

It was a duplicate world where you couldn't attack people. Just about no one went around in the game carrying much worth of anything. All the items were cheap to get.

The real reason was housing, the game was loving full out houses. The new land opened and let people build again. Only lovely part was it was filled up instantly, showing that having player housing be part of the world is really loving stupid.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I could see an opening for a an EQ-WoW type MMO since there's 7 million people who played WotLK that aren't playing WoD and Rift is dead/dying. Another gankbox, not so much.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Asehujiko posted:

I could see an opening for a an EQ-WoW type MMO since there's 7 million people who played WotLK that aren't playing WoD and Rift is dead/dying. Another gankbox, not so much.

The people who played wrath by and large now have real lives and don't have the time for a mmo. The people who were our age are playing mobas instead now.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Byolante posted:

The Repopulation (before IF poo poo the bed four months before release) - dead
Albion Online - full loot pvp
Shards Online - middlewear not a game
Gloria Victis - lol rent mount and blade ripoff
Camelot Unchained - there is currently nothing there
I hear Das Tal/Crowfall is doing alright - crowfall disappeared up its own clique appeasing rear end
Elite Dangerous - not a mmo
Project Gorgon - it delivered something the way I am bread delivered something
Star Citizen - lol?

If a full loot pvp mmo somehow makes it out of prelaunch without dying it will be DOA because nobody will stick around long term

There's also Heroes of Ecclesia

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Lady armor looks cool

no exposed tits and stomachs in this game

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

no exposed tits and stomachs gameplay in this game

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

My friend from college was like the second person hired to work on this and has been on the project for almost 1 1/2 years. That being said this game looks really bad and I don't think it'll come out sorry bro miss you lots xoxo

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Albion Online
Shards Online
Gloria Victis
Camelot Unchained
Elite Dangerous
Project Gorgon
Star Citizen

one of these is an actual game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah, Project Gorgon

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Albion Online
Shards Online
Gloria Victis
Camelot Unchained
Elite Dangerous
Project Gorgon
Star Citizen

A real pantheon of future classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge