Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://www.develop-online.net/news/soulbound-studios-using-improbable-s-spatialos-for-new-mmo/0221130

quote:

SpatialOS will act as the fabric that our game is built on. It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world. Built first and foremost as a scalable, distributed operating system for games, SpatialOS means we don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building a new MMO.

We don't have to worry about networking on the server, load balancing all the entities in the world, replication of entities across multiple server nodes, cross-process communication, collision detection of millions of entities, etc. In short, we don't have to worry about developing any of the technology that makes an MMO, an MMO.

Instead, we get to focus all of our resources on developing the game mechanics that makes Chronicles of Elyria truly unique.

Also, looks like they're going to hit the 1.3M wards stretch goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're saying they'll have a fully destroyable persistent world, as if they haven't already promised enough poo poo to make it obvious this'll never happen.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Orv posted:

They're saying they'll have a fully destroyable persistent world, as if they haven't already promised enough poo poo to make it obvious this'll never happen.

#IbelieveInSpatialOS

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SpatialOS is built by a company called Improbable... sounds about right.

From what I read, SpatialOS is basically a distributed computing system but for games. Kinda like a big Hadoop cluster or something. I guess Worlds Adrift is using it too so maybe it isn't all hype? Sounds like it at this point tho.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

its real ruggan. just on that description alone, im putting 500$ in. you dont have balls if you dont match me

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Gimme a few hours to look into it.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOKdf5lp2IQ

Prealpha stuff. OK.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Got freed up faster than I thought.

Anyways, I looked over the docs for SpatialOS. It's actually a pretty cool piece of tech, reminds me of something my co-worker showed me a while ago (or maybe that was also Spatial?). It's ultimately a simulation engine (a persistent world), not an MMO engine.

Anyways it has two really big selling points for MMO development, the first one is the spatial locality for load balancing. Now, we've had load balancing forever in MMOs, but doing it on the fly or god forbid, changing the scope of each node is a massive bitch. It always worked well for something like EVE that allowed them to basically run system it's own separate machine (though it may have been optimized in recent years), but would work lovely for a setting that's zoneless. What Spacial promises to do, is to dynamically create these boundaries based on proximity of entities (an entity being any persistent object in the world). Assuming Spatial delivers on their promise, it shouldn't be that difficult to have a "throw machines at the problem" solution to networking architecture, and will avoid having the EVE issue of "What happens when we have 1k+ people in one system?" since an area previously covered by one machine can be split into several machine. Now that won't mean that there won't be any latency impact and that it will be unnoticeable, but it should ultimately be "functional" (IE not requiring TD or crashing the server).

Now there does seem to be a decent amount integration with Unity which basically allows Unity to act as a client to receive data as well have limited authoritative privileges that you can grant it. Though I would probably have to do a demo project to see how well implemented it is. But the MMO use case is certainty there. As a simulation engine it looks like it has a nonsensical architecture, pretty loving authoritative, but I suppose if you're concerned about performance at scale you have to be.

As for what the devs at CoE promised:

What they showed in the video? Very possible, fluidly moving around persistent objects like that falls within the scope of Spatial.

Fully destructible environments? Impractical, there IS a cost for every entity, the cost for more complex entities (ones that have server side physics), is even higher. If we're moving towards the "throw machines at the problem to solve it" that means every entity has a monetary cost, and AWS instances are not cheap. While they can get away with a house having several "damaged" states, there is no way you're going to be able to blast through a wall and walk in Bad Company 2 style.

Honestly the coolest loving parts of Spatial is the entire simulation tech that these chucklefucks aren't even touching. See, Spatial is actually prime for all of that "The world evolves" simulation bullshit we've been promised for forever, like the entire "tribe of marauding goblins moves across the world and will murderfuck villages and kill off the NPCs there unless their numbers are reduced enough to where they retreat".

Honestly, I'm actually kind of jazzed about Spatial. I'll probably spin up a few machines and play around with it this weekend.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will point out they want a persistent destructible world that takes "a real time year to walk across." An actual thing they said.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
backed for 10k

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

backed for 10k

increased my backing to this as well

also, loving the av. what did you do to earn that

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

if you jerked it to a pony and got caught or something i dont wanna know though

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Orv posted:

I will point out they want a persistent destructible world that takes "a real time year to walk across." An actual thing they said.

As of right now they've basically said the world they have would take two real world days to walk across, if water wasn't a factor.

That's still huge, but my question remains "will that be fun or not"

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

lol

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Degs posted:

As of right now they've basically said the world they have would take two real world days to walk across, if water wasn't a factor.
A) They're lying.

B) It's not persistent.

C) Some chucklefuck hit a randomize button with some Unity terrain generator and set the size numbers to be really high.

Pick any combination of the above.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

SweetBro posted:

A) They're lying.

B) It's not persistent.

C) Some chucklefuck hit a randomize button with some Unity terrain generator and set the size numbers to be really high.

Pick any combination of the above.

Hitting all three at once wouldn't surprise me.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Degs posted:

This is why I really like Shards and Rel Por, it's small enough to sustain a community of that size. Galaxies would have been infinitely better if they focused on a single highly detailed planet versus a couple ones with "focus areas" and dead space between.

Also the urban sprawl in that game was loving awful.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Game is sitting at 1,2 mil on kickstarter, 32 hours left to go.
Why are people still throwing money at this kind of pie in the sky bullshit, God why

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I've been in a kingdom's discord for a couple weeks now.

Seems like most of the people backing have never backed any other game and have only preordered a couple.

I didn't really think that was possible, but here we are.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's a bizarrely large contingent of people who play games who've only ever played a couple MMOs and that's it. Maybe not that bizarre given the huge reach of WoW compared to so many other games, but it's still odd to think about.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

The weirdest, or maybe it's least weird, was a big group of like 15 count-level backers that pretty much exclusively played Neverwinter Nights on an RP server.

A bunch of others played UO and early WoW and haven't played anything else since. A few played SWTOR on top of those.

Basically it seems like the casual MMO crowd and the RP crowd are really drawn to it.

There's another US group that intend to be murder hobos that primarily play Mortal Online, so I guess anything is an upgrade for them.

E: That's just all the weird poo poo I've seen in this kingdom and in the official forums (which are dogshit, ofc). I'm sure there are quite a few backers who just plain forgot all the lovely games they bought with outrageous promises.

Degs fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 2, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So who's going to take the lead and start shitposting on their lovely forums about the Goon Guild? This sounds like fun that could be had that we're missing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Degs posted:

The weirdest, or maybe it's least weird, was a big group of like 15 count-level backers that pretty much exclusively played Neverwinter Nights on an RP server.
Are they vampire counts?

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Degs posted:

Did you see the map they released?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

forge posted:

Did you see the map they released?

Think of all the persistent fish in that ocean

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Is the fish going to age in real time?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Brumaldo posted:

Is the fish going to age in real time?

The 1 fish that spatialOS running on a farm of 98 era pentium cores can support, yes

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

So who's going to take the lead and start shitposting on their lovely forums about the Goon Guild? This sounds like fun that could be had that we're missing.

Am I the only one throwing $175+ at this poo poo? Because expedition starts like 3 months before the game launches, no wipe.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Am I the only one throwing $175+ at this poo poo? Because expedition starts like 3 months before the game launches, no wipe.

I hope so

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:siren::pcgaming:WARDS ARE IN:pcgaming::siren:
Also since I'm doing expedition, I guess I'll start a guild thread.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/7753-Goon-Squad-is-coming-NA

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 3, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Eventually I'd like to make a CoE-themed signature template but this will do for now
http://www.signator.org/generator-star-citizen

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

I can't tell whether you're being facetious or in need of an intervention.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

We totally need to make a forum and discuss long term strategies, and there should be a subforum for posting character introductions

Have you decided on a guild name yet? It needs to be lore appropriate

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
House of Goons now has a presence on the SA discord.

Can OP add the link to the Discord/forum post?
http://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/7753-Goon-Squad-is-coming--NA-?page=1
https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QC4b0Ei

Do we have any decent artists up in here? Need to create a sig template/house sigil. Seems to be the norm over there.

Figured I did alright using one of those Game of Thrones house generators

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 4, 2016

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Alexander DeLarge posted:

House of Goons now has a presence on the SA discord.

Can OP add the link to the Discord/forum post?
http://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/7753-Goon-Squad-is-coming--NA-?page=1
https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QC4b0Ei

Do we have any decent artists up in here? Need to create a sig template/house sigil. Seems to be the norm over there.

Figured I did alright using one of those Game of Thrones house generators

I've seen you supporting every terrible crowd-funded game. Is everything okay? Kid's help phone is a 24/7 free service that can help you when you just need someone to talk to man.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
AdL is like a whole generation or two behind MMOHMO on the whole cynicism train. It'll take a slew of broken buggy "releases" to change that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Is this something you can throw :10bux: on? That is my limit for dumb bullshit. Like twenty, tops.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I can kinda see backing/preordering these promise the world MMOs normally, I mean I was young once too and I almost preordered WAR but luckily I got into the beta and had lots of cool fun there for ~2 weeks then didn't have to buy the game at all because the fun low to mid-level PvP was the only real reason to play it over WoW or whatever and I'd had my two weeks fill.

But who are these people who drop hundreds to thousands of dollars on a game that hasn't even released yet?

Orv
May 4, 2011
People who understand what a mortgage is but not how to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ashrik posted:

Nominate Alexander DeLarge for MMO HMO mascot

• Locked thread